COMPLETE[PLAYS]One Act Play Collection 012 - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: July 17th, 2019, 2:37 pmI don't know why Audacity didn't default to the Yeti, especially since I plugged in the Yeti before opening the program. Next time I will absolutely double-check to make sure it's on the right setting.
yes this happens. If in-between you opened Audacity to just edit stuff, so you wouldn't have plugged in your mic, then it defaults back to the computer mic. Even if next time you plug in your mic first, Audacity will not jump on that one but keep the one it had before. You then need to manually scroll it to your mic.

I had that problem already. Now I always check before I record anything :lol:

Sonia
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

benderca wrote: July 17th, 2019, 6:11 pm Devorah, Here's Miss Thompson, Spriggins's Ward:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/everybodyshusband_missthompson_ryan.mp3
Thanks, TJ. I believe Campbell is still PLing this one for me. If she doesn't see it, I'll drop her a note soon.

We're still waiting on stage directions, too.
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Kitty wrote: July 18th, 2019, 2:56 am only one part missing right at the end:

> at 1:14: (p. 357) missed line: “Don’t tell us – let us guess – the whips of time ?
Missed line recorded and file re-uploaded for spot PL.

I guess if Josh doesn't respond by Saturday then Rosencrantz can go up for grabs. Next time I will double and triple-check the MW, I assure you.
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: July 18th, 2019, 5:03 pm Missed line recorded and file re-uploaded for spot PL.
and PL ok :) thank you, Tomas

Sonia
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Thomas,

Basil Royston is PL OK.

Thank you.

David O
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I could do Rosencrantz, but this is a first go for me for anything nearing more than a line or two.

Does one save the original recording for editing later to match sound qualities? Or does one clean up the noise oneself in the usual way?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

For dramatic readings, less is more when it comes to processing your recorded lines. I do recommend some light noise reduction, but that's about it. There's not much point in fiddling with the volume, as the final editor will do that for every part anyway. As long as it's somewhere within our normal range, that's fine. I don't recommend compression or equalization, or any of those things. Let the editor take care of it.

That's my feeling, anyway, after doing quite a bit of editing for plays and DRs. I prefer minimally processed recordings so that I can tweak them in any way I see fit. It's hard or impossible to undo many of these processes, but easy for the editor to apply them if needed. But then, maybe I like to micromanage too much. Other editors may feel differently.

I hope that answers your question.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

mightyfelix wrote: July 21st, 2019, 10:11 am For dramatic readings, less is more when it comes to processing your recorded lines. I do recommend some light noise reduction, but that's about it. There's not much point in fiddling with the volume, as the final editor will do that for every part anyway. As long as it's somewhere within our normal range, that's fine. I don't recommend compression or equalization, or any of those things. Let the editor take care of it.

That's my feeling, anyway, after doing quite a bit of editing for plays and DRs. I prefer minimally processed recordings so that I can tweak them in any way I see fit. It's hard or impossible to undo many of these processes, but easy for the editor to apply them if needed. But then, maybe I like to micromanage too much. Other editors may feel differently.

I hope that answers your question.
Thank you!

One last question, I'm afraid. Does one wait for acceptance of one's offer to record a role?
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

benderca wrote: July 17th, 2019, 6:11 pm Devorah, Here's Miss Thompson, Spriggins's Ward:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/everybodyshusband_missthompson_ryan.mp3
Sorry for the late PL, but all is good and a wonderful, PL OK deserving performance!
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks, Campbell!

Kevin, the "official" answer (if there is such a thing) is that you should wait for confirmation before recording, so as to avoid the embarrassing situation of two people claiming and recording the same thing. For instance, person A claims a role (or a section of a book, whatever), then the BC isn't able to respond or update the MW right away, then person B claims the same thing, and they both record and submit it before anyone realizes what's going on. Rare, but it has happened.

That being said, if you've read the thread carefully and you're confident that no one has claimed it before you, there's nothing to stop you from recording it and even submitting it right away.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

KevinS wrote: July 21st, 2019, 10:01 am I could do Rosencrantz, but this is a first go for me for anything nearing more than a line or two.

Does one save the original recording for editing later to match sound qualities? Or does one clean up the noise oneself in the usual way?
Thank you for your claim.

I agree that you should not do over-processing of your recording. However, as an non-tech-savvy editor I can not perform miracles and I seldom do anything to files I get other than changing volume to match other readers. So I expect the reader to have already done their best job of checking that what they send in is their best effort. No out-of-character stumbles, no duplicates of lines, no missing lines. No clipping, loud extraneous noises, or "p" pop sounds.

Record lots of takes if you wish in your original to try out different emotions in the readings (this is supposed to be fun!), but then edit all but one version out to provide in your upload your best idea of what the character should be.

Also, do please make sure that there are several seconds of silence between each of your lines so I can easily cut them apart to assemble the master file.

Thanks, Todd
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

ToddHW wrote: July 21st, 2019, 1:22 pm
KevinS wrote: July 21st, 2019, 10:01 am I could do Rosencrantz, but this is a first go for me for anything nearing more than a line or two.

Thank you for your claim.

I agree that you should not do over-processing of your recording. However, as an non-tech-savvy editor I can not perform miracles and I seldom do anything to files I get other than changing volume to match other readers. So I expect the reader to have already done their best job of checking that what they send in is their best effort. No out-of-character stumbles, no duplicates of lines, no missing lines. No clipping, loud extraneous noises, or "p" pop sounds.

Record lots of takes if you wish in your original to try out different emotions in the readings (this is supposed to be fun!), but then edit all but one version out to provide in your upload your best idea of what the character should be.

Also, do please make sure that there are several seconds of silence between each of your lines so I can easily cut them apart to assemble the master file.

Thanks, Todd
Will do!
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

To help bring this collection closer to completion, I'd like to claim George Robertson in "The Line of No Resistance" and Teddy Ryan in "Wanted, A Male Cook."
Tomas Peter
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

EDIT - And I will take Joshua Slocum in "Wanted: A Male Cook". In my world, he was the first person to sail solo around the world. So I guess he can cook....

Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

ToddHW wrote: July 21st, 2019, 3:39 pm Thank you.

EDIT - And I will take Joshua Slocum in "Wanted: A Male Cook". In my world, he was the first person to sail solo around the world. So I guess he can cook....

Todd
Joshua Slocum uploaded; in the MW for PL. I think maybe this isn't exactly the Joshua Slocum that sailed around the world....

Thanks, Todd