COMPLETE[PLAY]Hecyra: The Mother-In-Law by Terence - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Elizabby wrote: January 13th, 2019, 3:26 pm I'd like to read Sostrata please! I've just had a read of this play, and I think it is very odd that Philumena (the pregnant wife) doesn't actually appear or speak - apart from some miscellaneous noises offstage! :shock:
I thought the same! I kept thinking I was just missing her somehow in the cast list.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Yes, interesting that the wife is not present throughout the play. Dramatic device? Cultural artifact - only the mother and mother-in-law can speak for here? Or.....

Thanks, Todd
benderca

Post by benderca »

I'd like to read Myrrhina please.
benderca

Post by benderca »

Elizabby wrote: January 13th, 2019, 3:26 pm I'd like to read Sostrata please! I've just had a read of this play, and I think it is very odd that Philumena (the pregnant wife) doesn't actually appear or speak - apart from some miscellaneous noises offstage! :shock:
I also did a search for Philumena while I was reading -- because I couldn't believe she didn't actually get a chance to speak for herself.
ToddHW wrote: January 13th, 2019, 4:55 pm Yes, interesting that the wife is not present throughout the play. Dramatic device? Cultural artifact - only the mother and mother-in-law can speak for here? Or.....

Thanks, Todd
Yes, and both mother and mother-in-law are harshly criticized by their own husbands in their attempts to protect this young women, who as I understand it was raped, right? (I just skimmed the play and haven't read the last act yet).
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Anyone who is shocked by the treatment of women in this play may want to check out another book currently in the Launch Pad: Feminism in Greek Literature viewtopic.php?f=28&t=73358 :wink:
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

mightyfelix wrote: January 13th, 2019, 5:49 pm Anyone who is shocked by the treatment of women in this play may want to check out another book currently in the Launch Pad: Feminism in Greek Literature viewtopic.php?f=28&t=73358 :wink:
Thank you. That could be very interesting for this!

Todd
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Could I do Syra please?
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Availle wrote: January 13th, 2019, 6:19 pm Could I do Syra please?
Thank you.

Todd
benderca

Post by benderca »

Did you catch my claim up there, Todd?
benderca

Post by benderca »

Oooh, I just figured out Philumena was raped by her husband before they got married. Ouch. Now I see why this is labeled a "comedy." Hmmph. All's well that ends well? (Dripping sarcasm in my voice). Still, it is telling that this play is called "The Mother-In-Law" -- the mothers, though treated poorly by their husbands are still strong characters in their own right.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

benderca wrote: January 13th, 2019, 6:29 pm Did you catch my claim up there, Todd?
Whoops. Got it now.

Thanks, Todd
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

May I claim Sosia please.

TY!
Nemo

Thoreau - “Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

NemoR wrote: January 13th, 2019, 7:50 pm May I claim Sosia please.

TY!
Thank you.

Now if someone claims the stage directions (a light role - similar to terse Moliere rather than to the long winded Pinero), we'll be full.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

benderca wrote: January 13th, 2019, 6:46 pm Oooh, I just figured out Philumena was raped by her husband before they got married. Ouch. Now I see why this is labeled a "comedy." Hmmph. All's well that ends well? (Dripping sarcasm in my voice). Still, it is telling that this play is called "The Mother-In-Law" -- the mothers, though treated poorly by their husbands are still strong characters in their own right.
As I say in the summary, not exactly an acceptable plot for the modern world.

Thanks, Todd
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

Gosh, this got claimed quickly! I'll take stage directions then.
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page