COMPLETE[PLAY]Mrs. Pretty and The Premier by Arthur Adams - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Elizabby wrote: January 30th, 2019, 9:16 pmHere's the Premier's sister! She's a bit of a rattle - tell me if it goes too fast for comprehension. A friend of my grandmother's always sounded like this...
:lol: a waterfall of information torrenting down on the innocent, unsuspecting audience. Excellent job, Beth. :thumbs: And no, it didn't go too fast for me to understand, so all is well. And yes, some old grannies are in the habit of talking that way.

I only found one missing line:

> at about 3:07: (p. 102) please insert: “Willy ! What’s this ?

thank you for this excellent performance, this will be a great dialogue with Chris !

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Elizabby wrote: January 30th, 2019, 9:16 pm Here's the Premier's sister! She's a bit of a rattle - tell me if it goes too fast for comprehension. A friend of my grandmother's always sounded like this...
There’s got to be some way for a Premier to obtain a couple of clean handkerchiefs without getting in trouble with his own personal Hays Office commissioner. :lol:

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

One thing I noted in assembling Act 1. At top of page 115, you say "When?" instead of "Where?" And it matters because of the way the Premier answers. Can I get just the one word in a separate file?

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: January 31st, 2019, 11:58 amOne thing I noted in assembling Act 1. At top of page 115, you say "When?" instead of "Where?"
oops, must have misheard then. I cannot remember that I simply "waved it through", so I definitely heard the wrong word then.

Sorry

Sonia
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Kitty wrote: January 31st, 2019, 6:25 am I only found one missing line:

> at about 3:07: (p. 102) please insert: “Willy ! What’s this ?
Line inserted at 3:07 exactly! Uploading now...
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Elizabby wrote: January 31st, 2019, 3:31 pm Line inserted at 3:07 exactly! Uploading now...
thank you, PL ok now :)

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Elizabby wrote: January 30th, 2019, 9:16 pm Here's the Premier's sister! She's a bit of a rattle - tell me if it goes too fast for comprehension. A friend of my grandmother's always sounded like this...

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/mrsprettyandthepremier_marthacallender_1.mp3 (3:37)
Whew - I feel like a tornado has just swept through the Premier's office. And thankfully departed, leaving everyone (except the imperturbable Dix) a bit reeling.... I love the line about "the glittering haunts of wickedness".

Good thing Helen doesn't meet Martha.

Thanks, Todd

(Got the "Where" line from Vyce in as well - thanks.)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: February 1st, 2019, 6:56 am Good thing Helen doesn't meet Martha.
:lol: that was my thought too when I listened to it. Well...maybe they will become friends and both gang up on the Premier in the end ;)

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

ToddHW wrote: February 1st, 2019, 6:56 am Good thing Helen doesn't meet Martha.

Thanks, Todd
I’m not so sure.

I mean, once Bill and Helen are hitched, Martha may well consider the baton has been passed, and now she can go out and have some fun.

And why not, she’s entitled to it.

Cheers,
Chris
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I have assembled all the acts as far as I can yet. Wonderful acting!

Chris: this book contains two more plays by Adams. Should we do another?

Thanks, Todd
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

ToddHW wrote: February 1st, 2019, 3:06 pm I have assembled all the acts as far as I can yet. Wonderful acting!

Chris: this book contains two more plays by Adams. Should we do another?

Thanks, Todd
Absolutely! :9:

The other two plays are different from "Mrs Pretty and the Premier".

This person at the Trove Forums gives good short descriptions of them.

The Wasters: https://trove.nla.gov.au/forum/showthread.php?2039-The-Wasters-A-comedy-in-three-acts-1914-by-Arthur-Adams-1872-1936

Galahad Jones: https://trove.nla.gov.au/forum/showthread.php?2051-Galahad-Jones-(play-in-three-acts)-1914-by-Arthur-Adams-1872-1936

The Wasters mixes serious drama with comedy relief in the Second Act, so there is something for everyone. Me, I'm more the clown, as I'm sure is no surprise to anyone :mrgreen: , so I'd be hoping to figure in Act 2. (As has been commented elsewhere, a comedian is a crazy person who can speak coherently for a short space of time.)

In "The Wasters", I could just see myself playing Mr Maggs, the Shop Walker in a department store. This was the 1914 Australian predecessor of a Floor Walker ... something of a Captain Peacock from "Are You Being Served", if anybody recalls that British 1970s television show. Though just why there is a male Floor Walker in the Ladies Undergarments Department of this store is beyond me. Perhaps he gets staff discounts on the merchandise? :shock:

Cheers,
Chris
catharmaiden

Post by catharmaiden »

I loved to play the easily shocked Mrs Cusack:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/mrsprettyandthepremier_cusack_2_128kb.mp3 (4:28)

Sandra
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

catharmaiden wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 11:12 am I loved to play the easily shocked Mrs Cusack:
:clap: wonderful performance, Sandra ! You play the sternly shocked elderly matrons extremely well. :lol: I love your "oh" and "hm" enormously.

Looking forward to hearing our dialogue together assembled. :9:

thank you so much for choosing this role. PL ok.

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Gregory act 1

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/mrsprettyandthepremier_gregory_1.mp3

I think for my own personal safety I need to disown most of the sentiments expressed by this character. I did not really choose this part, Chris said he thought it would suit me :hmm:
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose