alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: November 28th, 2018, 10:18 am Quack acts 4 & 5
well done, Alan. The quack is a bit of a cynic, isn't he :lol: I can mark Act 5 already PL ok but there's a line missing in Act 4:

> at about 1:16: please insert an aside: “I will now believe anything he tells me.”

thanks for this funny contribution !

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Quack act 4 with missing line

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/countrywife_quack_4_128kb.mp3

I think Quack doctors were probably of two types. Those who knew they were conning the patients and so were cynical about the whole thing and those who thought they were actually curing people and they were probably a bit crazy.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: November 30th, 2018, 9:42 amI think Quack doctors were probably of two types. Those who knew they were conning the patients and so were cynical about the whole thing and those who thought they were actually curing people and they were probably a bit crazy.
:lol: you're probably right.

Well your Quack is now totally PL ok. Thanks for contributing to this project, Alan :D

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

ToddHW wrote: December 9th, 2018, 2:00 pm Fun play. Thanks for offering it.
You're welcome. :) I've put these in the MW for Sonia, who I'm sure will have fun PLing them. Sparkish is quite the dolt. :mrgreen:
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: December 9th, 2018, 2:00 pm Here is Mr Sparkish.
woah that was a huge part, but oh SO entertaining to listen to. :lol: How can any man be so deluded about their lack of witty qualities and perceptiveness ! Todd, you're playing this role to perfection. Sparkish is so self-impressed with himself that he doesn't notice that everybody is making fun of him. Excellently portrayed. In a way, he was not really a bad person, and you are keeping up the good humour all through the acts, so a part of me really was pitying him. I think you have managed to raise sympathy as well as derision in the audience, which is a good thing. :thumbs:

Oh and the audio-quality of the Blue Yeti is optimal again 8-)

All Acts PL ok. Great job !

thank you !

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Sparkish was a lot of fun, playing the completely clueless dunce. Glad you liked it.

I like the sound of the Yeti too. I was assembling a play today where I recorded my role with my old setup and the Yeti is so much better I was tempted to re-record. (Fortunately for your PL load, I resisted.)

Thanks, Todd
Phiona227

Post by Phiona227 »

Hello

I would like to read the Pinchwife ACT 1 and 2

Narrator in ACT 3-5

Thank

We can use my name Phiona Green.
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Phiona227 wrote: December 12th, 2018, 2:22 pm Hello

I would like to read the Pinchwife ACT 1 and 2

Narrator in ACT 3-5

Thank

We can use my name Phiona Green.
Hi Phiona,

Thank you for your interest in this play. Just to let you know, in case it wasn't clear, plays work differently than books or poetry collections. Instead of claiming separate sections, you choose a role or a character to read for. Then you record the lines for that role for each act they appear in. It is also not recommended for people to read a character only partially before switching to another role, as that is both confusing and disrupts the play's unity. We only let two readers read for one role under extreme circumstances, like the initial reader disappearing into thin air before finishing the job. So unfortunately I can only offer you either Pinchwife or the Narrator, but not both---and you would be responsible for all their sections, and not just some. Please think it over and let me know which role you desire more. :D
Tomas Peter
Phiona227

Post by Phiona227 »

Thank you for the information. I would look to play the Pinchwife. Question: Do submit each act separately?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Phiona227 wrote: December 13th, 2018, 6:16 am Thank you for the information. I would look to play the Pinchwife. Question: Do submit each act separately?
hi Phiona :) seeing that this is your first time in drama, here a few "special rules".

Yes, please one separate file for each act. You can see the naming convention in the first post.

So special "rules" for drama recordings:

1) no need to do an intro or outro disclaimer, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file, which here should be: "Pinchwife, read by Phiona" (or whatever you want your reader name to be)

just wanting to make sure: you do know that Pinchwife is a mean husband, right ? I noticed you said "the Pinchwife". Not that you think it is a woman because of "wife" in the name. :? I just want you to feel comfortable with the role. Here is the "job description:
PINCHWIFE: Margery’s husband and Alithea’s brother; he is a reformed rake who jealously controls Margery so that he is not cuckolded by rakes like Horner (as he doesn’t know that Horner is now a eunuch).
2) then browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. Pinchwife is a major character, so it would be good to read the whole play first, or at least the scenes he shows up in, so you get a feel for him, and especially read around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as nasty and disagreeable as you can for this guy. :mrgreen:

3) if there are pointers in the text qualifying your voice, like [sneers] or [yells], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible, to make it all more interesting :D

4) and very important: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 2-3 seconds. Even when you have a stage direction inside your speech, like "sits down", also leave 2 seconds of pause there, because our editor later on has to copy all your parts and paste them into his master file and it's helpful if he has enough space to fiddle with

That's it. Have fun :)

Sonia
Phiona227

Post by Phiona227 »

Can you help me find a part for a wife. My voice is to high to pass for a man. I do not think I can pull that off. Thank for your help. I could do a little girls voice for sure.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Phiona227 wrote: December 13th, 2018, 2:08 pmCan you help me find a part for a wife. My voice is to high to pass for a man. I do not think I can pull that off. Thank for your help. I could do a little girls voice for sure.
ah yes, I had a hunch that you may have been mistaken in the role ;)

Current short female roles that I know about right now are in the following plays:

1) in "Psyche": Phaëne, a Grace
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=70446

2) in "The Funeral": Fifth Lady
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=71427

3) in "The Gay Lord Quex": Servant
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=71425

They are all quite short roles, but they are perfect to get an easy start into drama reading. Maybe you like to take one of those ? :) If yes, claim in the correct project please.

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Phiona227 wrote: December 13th, 2018, 2:08 pm Can you help me find a part for a wife. My voice is to high to pass for a man. I do not think I can pull that off. Thank for your help. I could do a little girls voice for sure.
Phiona, if you'd like to test the waters with a small role, you could try reading for the Boy in this play. Since he needs a high-pitched voice, I think it would be no problem for you. If not, then definitely try Kitty's suggestions. :)
Tomas Peter