COMPLETE[PLAY] The Country Wife by William Wycherley - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Act 4 ready, not many sentences that are not full of innuendoes :lol: I managed to insert a well-placed pregnant pause here too: "go dine with us; for we shall want a man... at ombre after dinner" :mrgreen:

you know, maybe the way we interpret these sentences says more about us than about the play :wink: :lol:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/countrywife_mrs_squeamish_4_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 2:55 min.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and Act 5 is done, in which my favourite outburst is "Stop her mouth!" :lol: I tried to sound as desperately alarmed as possible there.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/countrywife_mrs_squeamish_5_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 2:20 min.

please, let me know if you want any changes to the performance, Tomas. :) I had indeed fun creating this character.

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

No changes needed, Sonia! This was a fantastic performance. :9: You ended up finding places to slip in innuendos where even I hadn't noticed before LOL. :mrgreen: I love the barely-concealed desire in your delivery, especially when begging for the "china." This is pretty much how I envisioned that scene shaping up to be.

Also, all the lines are accounted for, with no errors, so this is definitely PL OK. :D Thank you for your commitment, hehe.
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: November 21st, 2018, 6:20 pmYou ended up finding places to slip in innuendos where even I hadn't noticed before LOL. :mrgreen:
:lol: I guess it takes a dirty mind to see dirty things. :oops:
This is pretty much how I envisioned that scene shaping up to be.
thank you, Tomas !

Sonia
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Lady Fidget:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/countrywife_ladyfidget_1.mp3 (1:25)
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/countrywife_ladyfidget_2.mp3 (5:39)
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/countrywife_ladyfidget_4.mp3 (3:32)

I've recorded Act 5, but not the Epilogue, so I'll do that with any corrections needed for these files. Also, I've just realised I'm not in Act 3, so I can give you the Bookseller 1 line, if you like.
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Thank you, Beth. :) I have put you down for the Bookseller, and Sonia will PL your files soon!
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

no corrections needed, Beth, these three acts are all PL ok. You make her very upper-class, but still, at least in the 4th act you let shine through that she is very eager for Horner's goods as well :lol: I think the three ladies together will be a hoot.

Thanks

Sonia
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Thank you both. :D It looks like the Fidgets and the Squeamishes are going to be the first ones done in this madcap affair. :9:
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

NemoR wrote: November 25th, 2018, 7:40 pmSir Jasper for your PL'ing pleasure Madam ...
this was an absolutely hilarious performance Nemo. Your constant hehehe's were really getting to me and I couldn't help laughing along. And I marvel at the forced falsetto you kept your voice in. This is the perfect portrayal of an upper-class twat (I hope you don't mind me saying so :lol: )

excellent job. And totally PL ok. Your character may well be stealing the show in some scenes here. :thumbs:

Thanks

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

bluechien wrote: November 25th, 2018, 8:44 pmOl' Laydee Squeam:
oh-ho....you enjoyed having me under your thumb, didn't you granny Squeamish :mrgreen: I suppose I don't have much freedom under your roof (especially not in the china-collecting department. ;) )

excellent job too, I nearly didn't recognize your voice at the beginning. You sound so much like a cackling old matron, it's fantastic. :clap: She should have had a bigger role. And your dialogue with Sir Jasper at the beginning will be such a cool contrast, you so mistrusting and fierce and he so obliviously careless and cheerio :lol: what a double act.

I'll mark Act 4 already PL ok.

For Act 5, could you do two small tweaks please:

> for the voice credit you left out "read", probably doesn't matter much, but if you wish you could say "Old lady Squeamish read by Eva Davies" just to stay consistent with the other readers

> at 0:06 and at 0:15: “A hypocrite! a dissembler! Speak, young harlotry, speak, how?” and “O thou harloting harlotry! hast thou done't then?“ are in the wrong order. Could you just switch them and reupload, to make it easier for our editor later on ?

Thank you both for this entertaining listen

Sonia
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Sorry, I don't know how I manage to scramble up the smallest tracks a bit ... :oops:

Fixes (I hope) to act 5 here:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/countrywife_oldladysqueam_5_128kb.mp3

I was afraid I didn't have a cackling old harridan in me but she was RIGHT THERE! Kind of alarmingly right there! :lol:

I saw, in the BBC production they ditched her entirely and gave her lines to Jasper, ha ha.
Eva D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

bluechien wrote: November 26th, 2018, 7:26 pm I saw, in the BBC production they ditched her entirely and gave her lines to Jasper, ha ha.
:shock: seriously ? She's a great role, and who was the chaperone for Mrs Squeamish (the younger) then ?

PL ok now. Thanks

Sonia
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Kitty wrote: November 27th, 2018, 12:40 am :shock: seriously ? She's a great role, and who was the chaperone for Mrs Squeamish (the younger) then ?
Yeah - if I'm not mistaken, they just left Squeamish unchaperoned, which means Horner had to deal with a trio of totally unrestrained ladies. Jasper urges him on to "Kiss her - kiss her!" I think they also kicked out Lucy's speaking parts until the denouement, so she just smirks throughout. It sharpens up the cast a bit though. The Pinchwife letter-writing scenes in there are just, unforgettable. Every iota of implied violence in the script makes it in. Oh, and because of this I became a lifelong retroactive fan of Anthony Andrews. Ahhhhhhh. :9:
Eva D