COMPLETE[PLAY]The Funeral: or Grief A-La-Mode by Richard Steele - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: September 28th, 2018, 8:23 amI think Sonia meant there are parts open in other plays.
yes, that's what I meant, sorry if it was confusing.

As for passionate...I think you can't know whether you can do it unless you do it ;) but if "passionate" is not your thing, I'm sure there are lots of less passionate characters just waiting to be grabbed. :mrgreen: And anyway, each reader will bring their own interpretation into a character. I sometimes have a very specific idea of how a character is to be played and then I hear a reader who plays them completely differently and first I go, "Oh !" :hmm: but then I always marvel, how it seems to work just as well that way. Just shows that there is more than one way to see things.

my two-cents-worth 8-)

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
ccfpcl

Post by ccfpcl »

Thanks Sonia.

I knew what you meant. I was just responding to Todd's aside about still needing someone to play Lord H.

I'm going to do some NF (Babbage) until a character I'm comfortable with turns up.

Best Regards, Chris.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Availle wrote: October 9th, 2018, 4:13 am Here comes the undertaker. A very chatty person indeed... :wink:
sorry for the delay but I listened to Sable now. Indeed, he is a talker :shock: especially in Act 1. And quite a bawdy person too ;) Very well portrayed, Ava, and no lines missing or any errors whatsoever. :thumbs: Can be marked PL ok immediately. I'll only make a note for Todd to watch the volume which is quite low.

Thanks !

Sonia
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

Salutations to the "Grief A-la-mode" team.

I would like to offer to read the part of Kate Matchlock. She is hilarious.

My previous Librivox experience is reading a couple of books solo. But I have been wishing to take part in a play or dramatic reading, so this would be my first entry into this type of recording. I am not really sure how one does it. Are all the character's lines for an act recorded in one file? Should there be blank space between the lines? Is there an explanation of it all somewhere in the Librivox forum?

If I understand this correctly, I should wait to hear back from someone about what I do next!

Thanks

Carol Pelster
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

carolpelster wrote: October 11th, 2018, 3:53 am Salutations to the "Grief A-la-mode" team.

I would like to offer to read the part of Kate Matchlock. She is hilarious.

My previous Librivox experience is reading a couple of books solo. But I have been wishing to take part in a play or dramatic reading, so this would be my first entry into this type of recording. I am not really sure how one does it. Are all the character's lines for an act recorded in one file? Should there be blank space between the lines? Is there an explanation of it all somewhere in the Librivox forum?

If I understand this correctly, I should wait to hear back from someone about what I do next!
so cool to have you with us, Carol :D Yes Kate Matchlock is a funny choice for your debut :thumbs:

There are indeed a few "rules" for drama reading, so here they are:

1) no need to do an intro or outro, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file, which here should be: "Kate Matchlock, read by Carol" (or whatever you want your reader name to be)

2) then browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. While it may not be necessary to read the whole play, especially if she only shows up in one act, it would be good to read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as dramatic as you can in your character. That's the fun in drama :9:

3) if there are stage directions qualifying your voice, like [laughs] or [sneezes], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible. Makes it more lively. :9:

4) very important: leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 2-3 seconds. Even when you have stage directions in the middle of your speech , like [slaps him] or something, also leave 2 seconds of pause there, because the editor has to copy all your parts and paste them in a master file and it's helpful if he has enough space to fiddle with

I think that's it. The main thing is: Have fun !

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Welcome aboard!

Thanks, Todd
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

I am trying for a record time in signing up and submitting my recording. Here is Kate Matchlock:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/funeralorgriefalamode_katematchlock_4_128kb.mp3

length 3:12
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Great. Thanks.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

carolpelster wrote: October 11th, 2018, 5:40 am I am trying for a record time in signing up and submitting my recording. Here is Kate Matchlock:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/funeralorgriefalamode_katematchlock_4_128kb.mp3
length 3:12
that was indeed fast :lol: and I try to match the pace then. I can only say: wonderful performance, Carol :clap: you are really giving Kate a character and keeping it up for the whole performance. A wonderful job you did. I had to laugh out loud when she said "lost 9 husbands in the war, 3 in the same war" :lol: yes, the way you speak her, she sounds exactly like such a person.

Nothing missing, everything perfect. PL ok.

I hope you caught the stage bug now and claim lots of roles in our other plays :9:

Sonia
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

This should be all the Widow's lines, I hope!

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/funeralorgriefalamode_widow_1.mp3 (6:00)
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/funeralorgriefalamode_widow_2.mp3 (1:08)
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/funeralorgriefalamode_widow_3.mp3 (4:48)
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/funeralorgriefalamode_widow_4.mp3 (0:39)
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/funeralorgriefalamode_widow_5.mp3 (10:22)

EDIT: Because the end of Act 5 is quite loud, overall the lines appear to be the right volume, but some of the early lines may need some amplification if they are too soft.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Elizabby wrote: October 14th, 2018, 10:30 pm This should be all the Widow's lines, I hope!
:clap: excellently nasty performance, Beth ! Oh, the widow is so mean and scheming all throughout the play. :evil: I really cheered inwardly when in the end she realized her husband was still alive and her schemes fell through. :lol:

No missing lines as far as I could see, everything perfect.

Indeed, especially Act 3 is very much on the soft side, I will make a note for Todd there. Act 5 maybe in parts, but on the whole it's ok.

All 5 acts PL ok.

Thanks !

Sonia
thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl »

May I have an extension on mine?
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

thestorygirl wrote: October 18th, 2018, 2:01 pm May I have an extension on mine?
Yes you may.

Thanks, Todd