COMPLETE[PLAY]The Gay Lord Quex by Arthur Wing Pinero - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

And, last.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/gaylordquex_sophy_4_128kb.mp3
18:34

I considered rerecording "I beg you won't..." in act 3, but I do think after all that to try to give a harder "G" would make it not sound as natural, so I'll leave it as is, if that's alright.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mightyfelix wrote: September 4th, 2018, 9:46 amI considered rerecording "I beg you won't..." in act 3, but I do think after all that to try to give a harder "G" would make it not sound as natural, so I'll leave it as is, if that's alright.
ok I'll mark it PL ok then. I trust your judgement :)

will try to PL today, but I think I won't manage. Tomorrow then.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mightyfelix wrote: September 4th, 2018, 9:46 am And, last.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/gaylordquex_sophy_4_128kb.mp3
18:34
oh wow, a brilliant ending to a wonderful performance all the way through. :clap: I especially love when she turns into a fierceful cat, telling the men to shove off and not disturb her while she is running her business. To speak so loud and fast as you did without stumbling over the words, that was surely a feat. :shock:

Excellent job, Devorah. You're really shining in this role. Thank you so much.

PL ok.

Sonia
snaresamn

Post by snaresamn »

May I claim section 8, A Young Lady, Patron of Miss Fullgarney, Act 1?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

snaresamn wrote: September 15th, 2018, 8:28 pm May I claim section 8, A Young Lady, Patron of Miss Fullgarney, Act 1?
of course you may, I sign you up. I will also listen to your two other contributions in Adelgitha and Vampire soon 8-)

thank you, Sam :)

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Miss Hud-delle :mrgreen: sounds much more sophisticated indeed. Well played, Leanne, and flawless reading. And best of all, the sampling rate is correct again, so you seem to have found the correct settings. What's more, the sound is much better in this one. I wonder if this had to do with the sampling rate as well :hmm: Or did you record in another room or used another mic ? Effie's file sounds a tad more echoey, but Miss Huddle has a much richer, fuller sound again, like you always used to have.

Both acts PL ok.

Thanks !

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: August 22nd, 2018, 8:33 am and here's what the Duchess was hoping to be her romantic last evening with Quex. How bitterly she has been disappointed. I really enjoyed reading for this role :9: I hope it is to your liking, Todd.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/gaylordquex_duchess_strood_3_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 12:46 min.

Now looking forward to all the rest coming in :)

Sonia
Act 2 is PL OK - love the "placid melancholy". Act 4 is also PL OK.

Act 3, which has some wonderful turns of events and changes in emotion - is missing a line at 2:00
Tsch, tsch! help me. [The Duchess is standing before the cheval-glass, which conceals her from the audience. With Sophy's aid, she slips out of her dress and puts herself into the tea-gown, while she talks to Mrs. Eden.] Miss Eden is not well to-night, I am afraid. She didn't come into the drawing-room.
It is otherwise PL OK.

I am in complete despair at playing a Quex sufficiently well to go with your wonderful Stood. And I also have to play Quex up to others like Sophy as well. Hopefully my neighbor will finish his lawn mowing soon and I can give it a try....

Thanks, Todd
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Can I take Miss Claridge?
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

bluechien wrote: September 21st, 2018, 10:47 am Can I take Miss Claridge?
Thank you.

Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Okay, here is a start for Lord Quex. Act 1. I think I've picked a voice that will work well when I have to get into the more romantic and emotional scenes in the coming acts.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/gaylordquex_quex_1.mp3

(Note: this is essentially the first time I have ever recorded direct into Audacity. Very different from recording to my handheld in the past. Here I can record, listen, try again - which before took uploading from handheld, converting into Audacity, listening, and then repeating the remote cycle. I like this direct method much better; wish my earlier computers had been powerful enough to run Audacity and access Gutenberg at the same time without cycling noisy disk drives!)

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: September 21st, 2018, 10:38 am Act 3, which has some wonderful turns of events and changes in emotion - is missing a line at 2:00
Tsch, tsch! help me. [The Duchess is standing before the cheval-glass, which conceals her from the audience. With Sophy's aid, she slips out of her dress and puts herself into the tea-gown, while she talks to Mrs. Eden.] Miss Eden is not well to-night, I am afraid. She didn't come into the drawing-room.
It is otherwise PL OK.
:shock: oops. I try to get it in tomorrow. Need to get into Duchess mode again, it's been some time.
Okay, here is a start for Lord Quex. Act 1. I think I've picked a voice that will work well when I have to get into the more romantic and emotional scenes in the coming acts.
excellent, I love the jovial bon-vivant attitude you are displaying here. The audience immediately understands that this man is not meant for matrimony. :lol: Even though you are doing your utmost to sound convincing (especially to convince yourself :mrgreen: )

Absolutely PL ok, and you don't have to worry about the dialogues with the Duchess and with Sophy. I'm fully confident that you can manage.
Note: this is essentially the first time I have ever recorded direct into Audacity. Very different from recording to my handheld in the past. Here I can record, listen, try again - which before took uploading from handheld, converting into Audacity, listening, and then repeating the remote cycle. I like this direct method much better
oh yes, I never recorded with anything else than Audacity. The thought of recording and not seeing the waves as control to my volume would seem very strange to me. I'm glad you can profit from the technology from now on 8-)

Looking forward to the next acts !

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Here is Valma/Pollitt. Not a big role, sadly. I did my best to make him stand out, with a very affected voice (since I think being a palmist requires some affectation). Hope it's alright!

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/gaylordquex_pollitt_1_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/gaylordquex_pollitt_2_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/gaylordquex_pollitt_4_128kb.mp3
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: September 21st, 2018, 2:28 pm Here is Valma/Pollitt. Not a big role, sadly. I did my best to make him stand out, with a very affected voice (since I think being a palmist requires some affectation). Hope it's alright!
I am sure you made him memorable. But I will only PL tomorrow, tonight I'm totally knackered. Good thing there's the weekend

Sonia