COMPLETE[PLAY]The Gay Lord Quex by Arthur Wing Pinero - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Elizabby wrote: November 6th, 2018, 11:13 pm Mrs Eden flutters through the house reading French novels - for the style, of course!
:lol: yes, the beautiful French style. I had to giggle too when I had to discuss this as the Duchess. I'm already looking forward to hearing our dialogue in this scene together, Beth. :D

Mrs Eden perfectly PL ok and very nicely done. For some reason you were not assigned in the MW :shock: but I'll do it right away.

Thanks !

Sonia
MKIGGEN

Post by MKIGGEN »

I see there is a Young Lady still needed, that you might consider for me.
Thanks,
Michelle
MKiggen
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MKIGGEN wrote: December 5th, 2018, 4:08 amI see there is a Young Lady still needed, that you might consider for me.
oh hey again :mrgreen:

cool that you want to start with drama :9: I can sign you up for the young lady. To create your reader page, could you tell me what reader name you want to go by ? Can be your real name or forum name or pseudonym.

Now for drama we have a few special rules that are different from the other LV recordings:

1) you don't have to read an intro or outro disclaimer, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file, which here should be: "A Young Lady, Patron of Miss Fullgarney, read by Michelle McKiggen" (or whatever you want your reader name to be)

2) then browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. It may not be necessary to read the whole play, especially here for this small role, but it would be good to read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as expressive (according to the character) as you can in your role. ;)

3) if there are pointers in the text qualifying your voice, like [laughs] or [whines], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible, to make it all more interesting :mrgreen:

4) and most importantly: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 2-3 seconds. Even when you have the stage directions in the middle of your speech (for example: [sits down]), also leave 2 seconds of pause there, because our editor later on has to copy all your parts and paste them into his master file and it's helpful if he has enough space to fiddle with

That's it. Have fun !

Sonia
MKIGGEN

Post by MKIGGEN »

Thanks, Sonia!
I think my reader name should be MKiggen (I can't remember anymore usernames!!)
Thanks again!
Michelle Kiggen
MKIGGEN

Post by MKIGGEN »

Sorry, Sonia
Is my reader name the one I use to introduce myself - so probably Michelle Kiggen would be better.
Thank you!
MKIGGEN

Post by MKIGGEN »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MKIGGEN wrote: December 7th, 2018, 9:18 am Sorry, Sonia
Is my reader name the one I use to introduce myself - so probably Michelle Kiggen would be better.
Thank you!
yes that's it. It's the name you would always say in the intro disclaimer "read for Librivox.org by Michelle Kiggen" for example. My forum name is Kitty, but my reader name is Sonia (my real name)

I'll create your reader page shortly and will check your file. Stay tuned !!!

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and here we are !!!! Your debut in drama voice acting is off to a splendid start. :clap: You gave the lady an appropriate "life" and conveyed the emotions nicely in your speech. That's exactly what is wanted :9: Also the space between quotes is excellently long (editor Todd will be pleased).

Only thing, the volume was slighty under our lower limit, but in drama that is not so important, as the editor will adjust volumes anyway in the end. Nothing to change there. Oh and you don't have to say "end of Act 1", this is the narrator's job. But no need to cut out and reupload, it can simply be ignored.

Wonderful first section, I only wish she had a longer role LOL But I seriously hope that you liked the process too, so I'll hear you soon in other plays. Plenty of roles left still. :D

Young Lady = PL ok. Your first official LV recording is in the box. Thanks for taking part in this play. :)

Oh and here is your Reader Page: https://librivox.org/reader/12958
this will become a nice portfolio with time as all your projects where you participate in will be listed here. If you click on reader section details, you'll see which sections are still outstanding, which have PL notes or are PL ok. So you can always check there what you still have to do.

Have fun with your next recording, whatever it may be.

Sonia
MKIGGEN

Post by MKIGGEN »

Thanks, Sonia! I really enjoyed doing that role! Thank you for your words of encouragement.
I will continue onwards....
Take care,
Michelle
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Welcome aboard. Hope to hear you in other projects as well.

Thanks, Todd
jonathanhartwell

Post by jonathanhartwell »

If I might please perform the role of Sir Chichester Frayne, then I'd be incredibly grateful. :D
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

jonathanhartwell wrote: December 14th, 2018, 12:15 pm If I might please perform the role of Sir Chichester Frayne, then I'd be incredibly grateful. :D
Welcome.

A few things about dramas. First off, and this applies to all Librivox projects, the instructions are all described in the first posting. Such things as the reference text, where to upload, the file names to use (with one file for each act in dramas). For dramas you won't have to read any introduction or closing text - that is handled by the narrator/reader of the stage directions. But do include in your recordings a voice credit with the character name as given in the MW so I can assemble the cast list at the beginning of the play.

Second, when you record, leave good size gaps - several seconds at least - between each line. Including where a stage direction might interrupt a line. I need to cut your files apart to cut and paste each line into its place in the master files, and I need to be able to easily see where the line breaks are.

Edit your part to be correct and represent your best attempt - the wonder of this Librivox process is that no one knows about all the tries that get trashed and never heard in the final releases. Avoid clipping and, if necessary, do any (very little I hope) noise cleaning. Our DPL - dedicated proof listener (the wonderful Sonia whom you have met) will provide feedback and encouragement on your submittals.

Finally, have fun with the part. You don't get to communicate with your appearance and gestures, so everything has to be communicated in the voice (and with Pinero, his many stage directions). Look at what other characters are saying near your lines and interact with them - if you wish, download the file for other characters so you can hear what they sound like in your conversations with them. But give me just your voice in the files you submit.

Enjoy, and pepper us with questions. We're here to help!

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jonathanhartwell wrote: December 14th, 2018, 12:15 pm If I might please perform the role of Sir Chichester Frayne, then I'd be incredibly grateful. :D
yay, I'm looking forward to that :D thanks Jonathan

Sonia
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

Hi Todd,

I had the tiny part of the Elder Servant in acts 2 and 3, but if you would like, I could do the equally tiny part of First Gentleman in act 1 .... totally different voice and persona.
Nemo

Thoreau - “Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."