[PLAY: FULL] The Vampire; or, the Bride of the Isles by J.R. Planche - thw

Plays and other dramatic works
Post Reply
jfgallagher
Posts: 33
Joined: August 20th, 2018, 2:44 pm
Location: Texas, USA

Post by jfgallagher » September 3rd, 2018, 10:03 am

Thanks for the feedback, Sonia!

I could have sworn the text said "Ron" not "Rob", though it did seem odd that Ronald would interject at that point. Told you I was having trouble reading some of it!

I wasn't sure about leaving gaps for the narrator, so thanks for clearing that up. I'll try to be more mindful in Act II.

So, would it be best if I cut the extra line and then uploaded the file again? I can certainly demote "Ronald" to "ronald" if I do...it's just force of habit!

Thanks again!

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14340
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » September 3rd, 2018, 10:12 am

jfgallagher wrote:
September 3rd, 2018, 10:03 am
So, would it be best if I cut the extra line and then uploaded the file again? I can certainly demote "Ronald" to "ronald" if I do...it's just force of habit!
yes please cut the line. It's less confusing for the editor if he doesn't have to be mindful of lines that are not yours. And yes you can change the filename as well then, even though that wouldn't have mattered so much.

But thanks

Sonia

jfgallagher
Posts: 33
Joined: August 20th, 2018, 2:44 pm
Location: Texas, USA

Post by jfgallagher » September 3rd, 2018, 11:15 am

Here is Ronald, Act I, with revisions.

I deleted the errant line and inserted a little extra silence within some lines to allow more time for the narrator.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/vampire_ronald_1_128kb.mp3
recording time 8:13

Let me know if there is anything else that I need to do.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14340
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » September 3rd, 2018, 11:23 am

jfgallagher wrote:
September 3rd, 2018, 11:15 am
Here is Ronald, Act I, with revisions.
I deleted the errant line and inserted a little extra silence within some lines to allow more time for the narrator.
thank you, this part is PL ok now :)

looking forward to the next

Sonia

jfgallagher
Posts: 33
Joined: August 20th, 2018, 2:44 pm
Location: Texas, USA

Post by jfgallagher » September 3rd, 2018, 1:38 pm

Here is my recording of Ronald in Act II.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/vampire_ronald_2_128kb.mp3
Recording time 4:01

Please let me know what I might need to work on.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14340
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » September 4th, 2018, 4:07 am

jfgallagher wrote:
September 3rd, 2018, 1:38 pm
Here is my recording of Ronald in Act II.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/vampire_ronald_2_128kb.mp3
Recording time 4:01
Please let me know what I might need to work on.
oh wow this was a breath-taking scene. The Baron is really well acted out, especially the scenes where he raves and struggles against his servants to stand up to Ruthven and save his daughter. :thumbs: I was holding my breath listening to it all unfold. Well done, Jim. This is PL ok.

This concludes your part here, but I seriously hope you got the stage bug now and I will hear you in another play soon. :9:

Sonia

ChuckW
Posts: 2647
Joined: January 22nd, 2012, 7:47 am
Location: The Lonesome Crowded Midwest

Post by ChuckW » September 5th, 2018, 3:12 pm

jfgallagher wrote:
September 3rd, 2018, 1:38 pm
Here is my recording of Ronald in Act II.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/vampire_ronald_2_128kb.mp3
Recording time 4:01

Please let me know what I might need to work on.
This is excellent! :clap: :clap:

Thanks for contributing. I hope to see you around in other dramatic projects.
Trying to finish all of my remaining projects before taking a brief hiatus from LV.

alanmapstone
Posts: 951
Joined: February 15th, 2012, 12:20 pm
Location: Oxford

Post by alanmapstone » September 9th, 2018, 4:42 am

Robert act 1

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/vampire_robert_1.mp3


This is just the dialogue lines. I will record the song separately. I just want to ensure I have all the dialogue lines as it is a difficult text to read.
alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14340
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » September 9th, 2018, 9:56 am

alanmapstone wrote:
September 9th, 2018, 4:42 am
Robert act 1
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/vampire_robert_1.mp3
This is just the dialogue lines. I will record the song separately. I just want to ensure I have all the dialogue lines as it is a difficult text to read.
all right, I will create a separate file for you for the songs in the MW.

Apart from one missing line, your Robert is very well played out. I especially love the scene at the beginning, where you are mocking poor Bridget. Great job !

one thing to add:

> at about 1:45: p. 5: missing lines: "Nay, nay; you mustn't mind that; all old ladies have their odd ways."

I agree, the script is hard on the eyes, especially when you have to differentiate between Rob. and Ron. :?

Thanks

Sonia

alanmapstone
Posts: 951
Joined: February 15th, 2012, 12:20 pm
Location: Oxford

Post by alanmapstone » September 9th, 2018, 10:30 am

Kitty wrote:
September 9th, 2018, 9:56 am
alanmapstone wrote:
September 9th, 2018, 4:42 am
Robert act 1
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/vampire_robert_1.mp3
This is just the dialogue lines. I will record the song separately. I just want to ensure I have all the dialogue lines as it is a difficult text to read.
all right, I will create a separate file for you for the songs in the MW.

Sonia
Thanks Sonia for the extra sections.

I have been looking at the songs in more detail:

Act 1 song for Robert.
The tune suggested by Chuck has a highly decorated vocal line which I am not confident I can reproduce. Is it ok if I improvise something similar but less decorated?

Act 2 Duet with Effie (Leanne).
Leanne has said she cannot fit the proposed tune to the lyrics and I can see what she means. She suggests she will improvise something. I am happy to wait until Leanne records whatever version she creates herself and then try to match it (at least an octave lower). It would be nice to try to harmonise on the chorus but I may not be capable of that so you may have to accept unison.
alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose

ChuckW
Posts: 2647
Joined: January 22nd, 2012, 7:47 am
Location: The Lonesome Crowded Midwest

Post by ChuckW » September 10th, 2018, 12:22 pm

alanmapstone wrote:
September 9th, 2018, 10:30 am
Kitty wrote:
September 9th, 2018, 9:56 am
alanmapstone wrote:
September 9th, 2018, 4:42 am
Robert act 1
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/vampire_robert_1.mp3
This is just the dialogue lines. I will record the song separately. I just want to ensure I have all the dialogue lines as it is a difficult text to read.
all right, I will create a separate file for you for the songs in the MW.

Sonia
Thanks Sonia for the extra sections.

I have been looking at the songs in more detail:

Act 1 song for Robert.
The tune suggested by Chuck has a highly decorated vocal line which I am not confident I can reproduce. Is it ok if I improvise something similar but less decorated?

Act 2 Duet with Effie (Leanne).
Leanne has said she cannot fit the proposed tune to the lyrics and I can see what she means. She suggests she will improvise something. I am happy to wait until Leanne records whatever version she creates herself and then try to match it (at least an octave lower). It would be nice to try to harmonise on the chorus but I may not be capable of that so you may have to accept unison.
I'm perfectly fine with deviating from the suggested tunes. I'm not musically inclined and cannot offer much guidance on this one... but I'm 100% okay with you guys ignoring the suggestions mentioned in the stage directions.

I'm also happy to wait for Leanne on the Act 2 duet.

Thanks again, Alan! You too, Sonia. :-)
Trying to finish all of my remaining projects before taking a brief hiatus from LV.

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 7323
Joined: August 14th, 2011, 4:24 am
Contact:

Post by ToddHW » September 13th, 2018, 1:57 pm

Here is Ruthven.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/vampire_ruthven_2.mp3

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/vampire_ruthven_1.mp3

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/vampire_ruthven_intro.mp3

I have an entirely new computer and recording setup - please let me know if there are any issues!

Thanks, Todd

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14340
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » September 14th, 2018, 12:11 am

ToddHW wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 1:57 pm
Here is Ruthven.
I have an entirely new computer and recording setup - please let me know if there are any issues!
ah the vampire has appeared. And I'm pleased to hear you are in the "Riven"-camp :9:

No worries, your audio quality sounds absolutely fine. Your new computer and mic seem to be working as they should.

I marvel that you chose this "rolled-r" approach and even managed to keep it up all throughout the performance. :thumbs: And I thoroughly enjoyed those parts where he shows his vampire nature in asides and gives his voice this dangerous undertone. 8-) Wonderful characterization.

I have a few small deviations noted, but I am inclined to think they are all optional. I let you decide.

in Act 1:

> at 9:10: (p. 9) “the lamp of night is descending the blue heavens” – you say “light”, I think he means the moon here, but it's a light as well, so this is not really changing the meaning

in Act 2:

> at 3:04: (p. 11) “what ails my love” – I think I hear “hails”, but may be mistaken :hmm:

> at 3:58: (p. 12) “bow abashed before your master” – I hear “how

Let me know whether you want to correct or not.

The Prologue is already PL ok

thank you for this excellent performance

Sonia

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 7323
Joined: August 14th, 2011, 4:24 am
Contact:

Post by ToddHW » September 14th, 2018, 8:08 am

I have made the changes you suggest and uploaded replacement files for Acts 1 and 2.

For the first time, I am recording with Audacity. Prior to this I have always used a small Sony handheld recorder, uploaded the recorded files, opened Audacity and imported them, converted them to mono and amplified, and then did my editing. Much easier to just press a button in Audacity and record! Hooray.

Glad the sound quality is okay this way. I did have a buncha electronic noise last week when I first tried this - I had to to shield the power transformers on my new Internet stuff and computer to get rid of spikes inaudible to me while recording but definitely very audible and visible in the recorded file. (My handheld was even more sensitive to the electronic noise than my USB mike - even in another room well away from the computer and Internet stuff my old handheld was picking up the spikes.)

Thanks, Todd

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14340
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » September 14th, 2018, 9:04 am

ToddHW wrote:
September 14th, 2018, 8:08 am
For the first time, I am recording with Audacity. Prior to this I have always used a small Sony handheld recorder, uploaded the recorded files, opened Audacity and imported them, converted them to mono and amplified, and then did my editing. Much easier to just press a button in Audacity and record! Hooray.
indeed Audacity has its perks. I never recorded anyway else than with Audacity.
Glad the sound quality is okay this way. I did have a buncha electronic noise last week when I first tried this - I had to to shield the power transformers on my new Internet stuff and computer to get rid of spikes inaudible to me while recording but definitely very audible and visible in the recorded file.
this morning I listened with earphones, and I heard nothing. Now I listened through the computer speakers and I hear the noise in the pauses between (but very dim). But it's not distracting at all.

Both acts now PL ok. Thanks

Sonia

Post Reply