COMPLETE[PLAY] The Vampire; or, the Bride of the Isles by J.R. Planche - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
KIBBONAFIDE

Post by KIBBONAFIDE »

Does Andrew need to have an accent? If not necessary I can give it a shot.
Josh Kibbey
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

KIBBONAFIDE wrote: January 8th, 2019, 8:13 pm Does Andrew need to have an accent? If not necessary I can give it a shot.
Hi KIBBONAFIDE!

There are no accent requirements for this or any other play at Librivox. Some volunteers do them, and others do not (and some, like me, just can't do them). So you're welcome to record this part without doing a Scottish brogue. :-)

Thanks for volunteering. I'm going to go ahead and mark you down for this role. Since this is your first time volunteering for a dramatic project, please feel free to contact either me or Kitty (our DPL) about any questions you might have. We're always happy to help newcomers.

Thanks again! :-)
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
KIBBONAFIDE

Post by KIBBONAFIDE »

ChuckW wrote: January 8th, 2019, 8:21 pm
KIBBONAFIDE wrote: January 8th, 2019, 8:13 pm Does Andrew need to have an accent? If not necessary I can give it a shot.
Hi KIBBONAFIDE!

There are no accent requirements for this or any other play at Librivox. Some volunteers do them, and others do not (and some, like me, just can't do them). So you're welcome to record this part without doing a Scottish brogue. :-)

Thanks for volunteering. I'm going to go ahead and mark you down for this role. Since this is your first time volunteering for a dramatic project, please feel free to contact either me or Kitty (our DPL) about any questions you might have. We're always happy to help newcomers.

That's great and thanks for the opportunity!

As I go through the script I just have a couple pronunciation questions:

Is Ruthven just pronounced like it looks, Ruth and ven, or is there another way I'm not considering?

Page 8, Andrew exclaims "Pho! Pho!". As much as I like the Vietnamese noodle soup, I don't think that's what he's talking about. Would you pronounce it "Foe"?

Thank you!
Josh Kibbey
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

KIBBONAFIDE wrote: January 15th, 2019, 12:57 pmIs Ruthven just pronounced like it looks, Ruth and ven, or is there another way I'm not considering?
I offered the genuine Scottish pronunciation here: viewtopic.php?p=1489353#p1489353 That would be "Riven" (rhyming on "driven") but not every reader chose this option, so we have a tie between the "riven-camp" and the "ruth-ven-camp" :lol: You can choose whichever you prefer, as long as you stay consistent.
Page 8, Andrew exclaims "Pho! Pho!". As much as I like the Vietnamese noodle soup, I don't think that's what he's talking about. Would you pronounce it "Foe"?
I guess that would be a good choice, yes. It's probably a sort of dismissing exclamation, a bit like "fie fie".

Thanks for asking !

Sonia
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

KIBBONAFIDE wrote: January 15th, 2019, 12:57 pm
ChuckW wrote: January 8th, 2019, 8:21 pm
Hi KIBBONAFIDE!

That's great and thanks for the opportunity!

As I go through the script I just have a couple pronunciation questions:

Is Ruthven just pronounced like it looks, Ruth and ven, or is there another way I'm not considering?

Thank you!
Let us know if you need anymore help, KIBBONAFIDE!

And thanks Sonia!
PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
KIBBONAFIDE

Post by KIBBONAFIDE »

Here's my recording finally for Andrew, Act 1!

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/vampire_andrew_1_128kb.mp3
1:25

Thanks!
Josh Kibbey
KIBBONAFIDE

Post by KIBBONAFIDE »

Josh Kibbey
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

KIBBONAFIDE wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 5:37 pm Here's Andrew, Act 2!

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/vampire_andrew_2_128kb.mp3
1:01

Thanks!
Woohoo! Thank you so much! :-) You sound terrific.

I'll let Sonia PL this first, but I should be able to have rough cuts of Acts I and II before the end of the week. :-)
PROJECTS
KIBBONAFIDE

Post by KIBBONAFIDE »

Appears I placed myself in the “Riven” camp :) but this was a lot of fun and I’m glad I could help finish it!
Josh Kibbey
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

KIBBONAFIDE wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 10:54 pm Appears I placed myself in the “Riven” camp :) but this was a lot of fun and I’m glad I could help finish it!
hehe thanks for supporting the Riven camp :mrgreen:

and Andrew is brilliantly characterized. I love the gruff, a bit hoarse, voice you're giving him. Since he has to be an older man, that's so fitting somehow. Excellently acted out, and no lines missing as far as I can see. This is totally PL ok.

Now I really hope that you took a liking to drama and I can hear you in some other plays soon 8-)

Thanks for the quick turn-around. :9: Now both acts can be assembled.

Only waiting for Unda and then this play is ready to be archived, yay !

Sonia
KIBBONAFIDE

Post by KIBBONAFIDE »

I did take a liking to it...I love dusting off old plays in particular and I'm so glad LibriVox presents drama to the people the same way we do other literature. I'm glad I picked the orphaned one to start with, you guys were great to work with. Here's to more!
Josh Kibbey
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

KIBBONAFIDE wrote: January 24th, 2019, 5:13 pm I did take a liking to it...I love dusting off old plays in particular and I'm so glad LibriVox presents drama to the people the same way we do other literature. I'm glad I picked the orphaned one to start with, you guys were great to work with. Here's to more!
Trust me, you really saved our bacon! Thank you! :-) And FWIW, your Andrew was terrific!

And now, after much delay, here's Act I!

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/vampire_01_planche_128kb.mp3 [37:54]
PROJECTS
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ChuckW wrote: January 24th, 2019, 5:26 pmAnd now, after much delay, here's Act I!
oh this sounds SO great, everybody is playing to perfection. There's too many scenes I liked to name them all. And the songs add a special something to it all. :thumbs:

I would however suggest cutting quite a lot of those stage directions that only mention "right" or "left", because it doesn't matter much where people are standing. It doesn't add anything to the play but is only breaking the flow of the dialogue too much, especially some dialogue which would sound cooler if they were more fast-paced. I would really leave them out when you assemble the second act.

These are my suggestions for cuttings (best start with the last one, to keep the time stamps consistent ;) ) :

> at 2:32: M’Swill, center
> at 2:37: Bridget, right
> at 3:26: Robert, left – I would make Robert laugh right into Mswill to make it more fast-paced
> at 20:36: Lady Margaret, right
> at 21:07: Ruthven, left
> at 22:52: Ronald, left
> at 27:10: Effie, center
> at 27:16: Andrew, right
> at 29:28: Effie, center
> at 29:31: Robert, right center
> at 30:19: Andrew, right
> at 30:27: Ruthven, center
> at 31:48: Robert, right, to Effie – he starts with “Come Effie” so it’s clear who he is talking to ;)
> at 34:29: Effie, starting – Leanne conveys fear quite well here

then a few notes concerning the volume. The overall volume is slightly over 92 dB, but you cannot uniformly decrease because some parts are already too soft to hear

> from 27:56-28:24: the boat song is a bit too low in volume at the beginning

> from 28:55-29:19: the second song is very loud compared to the first. I would decrease the volume a bit there

> from 37:22-37:47: this final stage direction could be a bit amplified too, it’s too low in volume

That's all my suggestions. :) Great editing job on the whole, Chuck :thumbs:

Sonia
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Kitty wrote: January 25th, 2019, 3:19 am
ChuckW wrote: January 24th, 2019, 5:26 pmAnd now, after much delay, here's Act I!
oh this sounds SO great, everybody is playing to perfection. There's too many scenes I liked to name them all. And the songs add a special something to it all. :thumbs:

I would however suggest cutting quite a lot of those stage directions that only mention "right" or "left", because it doesn't matter much where people are standing. It doesn't add anything to the play but is only breaking the flow of the dialogue too much, especially some dialogue which would sound cooler if they were more fast-paced. I would really leave them out when you assemble the second act.

These are my suggestions for cuttings (best start with the last one, to keep the time stamps consistent ;) ) :

> at 2:32: M’Swill, center
> at 2:37: Bridget, right
> at 3:26: Robert, left – I would make Robert laugh right into Mswill to make it more fast-paced
> at 20:36: Lady Margaret, right
> at 21:07: Ruthven, left
> at 22:52: Ronald, left
> at 27:10: Effie, center
> at 27:16: Andrew, right
> at 29:28: Effie, center
> at 29:31: Robert, right center
> at 30:19: Andrew, right
> at 30:27: Ruthven, center
> at 31:48: Robert, right, to Effie – he starts with “Come Effie” so it’s clear who he is talking to ;)
> at 34:29: Effie, starting – Leanne conveys fear quite well here

then a few notes concerning the volume. The overall volume is slightly over 92 dB, but you cannot uniformly decrease because some parts are already too soft to hear

> from 27:56-28:24: the boat song is a bit too low in volume at the beginning

> from 28:55-29:19: the second song is very loud compared to the first. I would decrease the volume a bit there

> from 37:22-37:47: this final stage direction could be a bit amplified too, it’s too low in volume

That's all my suggestions. :) Great editing job on the whole, Chuck :thumbs:

Sonia
Bless you, Sonia! You know I'm always eager to hack out as much narration as I possibly can, and definitely agree with you about the excessive stage directions about the blocking. But I wasn't sure I could get away with removing it. So I appreciate you giving me permission to be ruthless. :-)

As for the Boat Song, the reason it sounds so weird is because I edited it in the hopes that it might sound like the boat was approaching as the song grew louder. But considering your PL note, I'm assuming that attempt was an utter failure... so I'm re-uploading with the song unaltered.

Anyway, here's the revised Act I: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/vampire_01_planche_128kb.mp3 [37:22]
PROJECTS
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ChuckW wrote: January 26th, 2019, 8:23 amYou know I'm always eager to hack out as much narration as I possibly can, and definitely agree with you about the excessive stage directions about the blocking. But I wasn't sure I could get away with removing it. So I appreciate you giving me permission to be ruthless. :-)
haha, I hope you won't be ruthless ;) but yes, in the parts I mentioned above, it's really not important where people are standing and it does disturb the flow of the dialogue. So as long as there is no other qualificative, like "sitting down, left" I would leave them out.
As for the Boat Song, the reason it sounds so weird is because I edited it in the hopes that it might sound like the boat was approaching as the song grew louder. But considering your PL note, I'm assuming that attempt was an utter failure... so I'm re-uploading with the song unaltered.
oh I understood why you did it, and it's not an utter failure as such, it does sound like a boat approaching. Just the beginning is barely understandable, so at least it should be a bit louder. And in fact, it's Leanne singing, and she is standing on the shore, not in the boat, so she isn't approaching at all. In retrospect, the text of the song would have been more suited to be sung by the people IN the boat. :?

Will listen to the Act soon !

Sonia