COMPLETE[PLAY] The Vampire; or, the Bride of the Isles by J.R. Planche - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

WiltedScribe wrote: July 24th, 2018, 9:33 am This sounds so cool, and I haven't even looked at the text yet lol. I don't usually choose blindly, but I kinda want to play a "henchman" for once, so can I have M’Swill? Or McSwill, if the apostrophe is a c? :P
What a great character! I hope you enjoy telling spooky stories in taverns. :-)

Thanks for volunteering. As for the name -- not sure. I'm assuming that's the case, but everyone refers to him as "M'Swill."
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

On top of being Bridget, I can also be DPL :) I want to hear Tomas tell spooky stories. :mrgreen:

Sonia
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Kitty wrote: July 24th, 2018, 10:50 am On top of being Bridget, I can also be DPL :) I want to hear Tomas tell spooky stories. :mrgreen:

Sonia
Thank you so much, Sonia. I appreciate the help. :-)
PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

So one quick question: do we typically have our narrators read the long list of costume descriptions at the beginning or should we cut that out?
PROJECTS
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

ChuckW wrote: July 24th, 2018, 6:40 pm So one quick question: do we typically have our narrators read the long list of costume descriptions at the beginning or should we cut that out?
Up to you as the BC. If you think listeners might enjoy it, leave it in. (I did so in my project on Plays from Dickens.) If you think they might not like it, leave it out.

Thanks, Todd
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

May I also play Effie in acts 1-2? She is a singing role and I'll make sure she sounds young enough.
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

leanneyauyau wrote: July 25th, 2018, 3:12 am May I also play Effie in acts 1-2? She is a singing role and I'll make sure she sounds young enough.
Trust me, if anyone can pull off a dual role in this play, it's definitely you, Leanne. :-) Thank you.

So this character sings quite a lot, obviously... do you need me to provide YouTube links to the suggested song melodies provided by the text?
PROJECTS
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

That would be great, thank you!
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

ToddHW wrote: July 24th, 2018, 8:01 pm
ChuckW wrote: July 24th, 2018, 6:40 pm So one quick question: do we typically have our narrators read the long list of costume descriptions at the beginning or should we cut that out?
Up to you as the BC. If you think listeners might enjoy it, leave it in. (I did so in my project on Plays from Dickens.) If you think they might not like it, leave it out.

Thanks, Todd
Hmm. I'll have to think about that. I'm reluctant to include it because (a) it's very, very repetitive and boring (everyone kinda all wears the same thing) and (b) the costume list also mentions a character that is referenced here and in the cast list, but never actually appears in the play (which might be confusing for the listener).

By the way, I'm taking the stage directions for this one. I'd considered Robert, but honestly don't wanna sing. Believe me, you're all better off never hearing my tuneless "singing voice." :-P
PROJECTS
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Chuck, please make sure all the tunes are PD :? Alternatively Leanne could invent her own tunes.

I want to start recording my lines soon....I was thinking since the housekeeper is probably salt-of-the-earth scottish, she would use the "Riven" pronunciation. Is that ok with you or do you want us all to say it the same way ? If so, which way ?

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

well here is Bridget ready for you to PL, Chuck. I hope I didn't miss any lines.

If you don't like "Riven", I can always change it. I used my best Scottish accent 8-) I think she is a well feisty lady, but also very supersticious. In fact almost the same character than Alice in Castle Spectre, which I did a while back. :lol:

Oh and I had a fine time pulling Tomas by the ear and berating him :mrgreen: They are a bit of a comic relief in this scene.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/vampireorthebrideoftheisles_bridget_1_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 3:25 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/vampireorthebrideoftheisles_bridget_2_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 0:44 min.

btw wouldn't it be easier to shorten the file name to "vampire" without the whole subtitle ? :hmm:

I hope you like my interpretation :)

Sonia
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Kitty wrote: July 25th, 2018, 8:39 am well here is Bridget ready for you to PL, Chuck. I hope I didn't miss any lines.

If you don't like "Riven", I can always change it. I used my best Scottish accent 8-) I think she is a well feisty lady, but also very supersticious. In fact almost the same character than Alice in Castle Spectre, which I did a while back. :lol:

Oh and I had a fine time pulling Tomas by the ear and berating him :mrgreen: They are a bit of a comic relief in this scene.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/vampireorthebrideoftheisles_bridget_1_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 3:25 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/vampireorthebrideoftheisles_bridget_2_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 0:44 min.

btw wouldn't it be easier to shorten the file name to "vampire" without the whole subtitle ? :hmm:

I hope you like my interpretation :)

Sonia
Sounds great, Sonia. Wonderfully performed and PL OK. :-)

I also checked this against another digital copy of this text and unfortunately there are too many discrepancies to switch over to that version. So I suppose we'll have to stick with the ugly-looking PDF from HathiTrust.

I can't wait to hear Tomas and you bicker during the editing phase.

Also shortening the file name right now. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
PROJECTS
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

leanneyauyau wrote: July 25th, 2018, 7:11 am That would be great, thank you!
Here you are:

There's Nae Luck About The House
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMN5rYNIPRw

Down the Burn, Davie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_33ukiRvY8

A' The Airts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAVx7oKn0oM

I don't know how helpful these are. Obviously, nobody expects a pitch-perfect rendition of each of these, but I thought it might be helpful if you need some vague idea of the tune Planche was going for. And of course, chanting along is also a-okay.

And don't worry, Sonia: these are all very, very old traditional Scottish songs.
PROJECTS
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

WiltedScribe wrote: July 24th, 2018, 9:33 am This sounds so cool, and I haven't even looked at the text yet lol. I don't usually choose blindly, but I kinda want to play a "henchman" for once, so can I have M’Swill? Or McSwill, if the apostrophe is a c? :P
Hi Tomas. So I'm not sure if you're going to be chanting or singing your songs, but I thought it might help if I sent you the suggested tunes given by Planche.

Johnny Cope
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GGhkgq2iWQ

Unfortunately, I can't find a recording of "Fly, Let Us Awa' to the Bridal" anywhere online. The only reference I can find to it comes from Planche himself. :-/
PROJECTS
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

So I'd originally intended on recording all three acts this afternoon, but something came up... and now I'm visiting my in-laws until next week. Oh well. At least I got the narration for the introductory vision finished. Please take your time getting around to this. I still need to get around to the other two.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/vampire_00_stagedirections_128kb.mp3
PROJECTS