COMPLETE[PLAY] The Vampire; or, the Bride of the Isles by J.R. Planche - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

I would like to do the role of Robert, I can do an Englishman as well as anyone, but I will not be able to start on it for a month so you may prefer to leave it open.

Alternately I would be happy to help out with the chorus and boat songs.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

alanmapstone wrote: July 26th, 2018, 3:43 am I would like to do the role of Robert, I can do an Englishman as well as anyone, but I will not be able to start on it for a month so you may prefer to leave it open.

That would be great, Alan! I think it'll be worth the wait. Thank you. :-)
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ChuckW wrote: July 25th, 2018, 8:34 pmAt least I got the narration for the introductory vision finished.
sounds like a good start, Chuck :) You are using your very mysterious and ominous voice for this which fits the mood of the play perfectly. :thumbs:

I have only two notes, but both quite optional:

> at about 1:11: you forgot to mention Father Francis but I think he doesn't even have a speaking voice so that's why you left him out. I wonder why this character even gets a name when he has nothing to say LOL I looked through the entire play once again, but really couldn't find any lines.

> at 1:33: "time of representation, 1 hour and 30 minutes" - are you sure this is needed here ? Our play may not have exactly the same length :hmm:

Well, I can mark it PL ok I guess.

I noticed you say "Rooth-ven" that's a version I didn't even think of. Do you want me to change mine ?

Sonia
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Kitty wrote: July 26th, 2018, 4:38 am
ChuckW wrote: July 25th, 2018, 8:34 pmAt least I got the narration for the introductory vision finished.
sounds like a good start, Chuck :) You are using your very mysterious and ominous voice for this which fits the mood of the play perfectly. :thumbs:

I have only two notes, but both quite optional:

> at about 1:11: you forgot to mention Father Francis but I think he doesn't even have a speaking voice so that's why you left him out. I wonder why this character even gets a name when he has nothing to say LOL I looked through the entire play once again, but really couldn't find any lines.

> at 1:33: "time of representation, 1 hour and 30 minutes" - are you sure this is needed here ? Our play may not have exactly the same length :hmm:

Well, I can mark it PL ok I guess.

I noticed you say "Rooth-ven" that's a version I didn't even think of. Do you want me to change mine ?

Sonia
Oh god. I've spent untold hours scouring through that text, trying to find even the faintest reference to the elusive Father Francis. He's apparently mentioned... two times? M'Swill namedrops him twice, but he never really shows up or does anything. I literally have no idea why he gets credited in the dramatis personae. Maybe Planche had a buddy or patron with no acting talent he needed to wedge somewhere into the play?

I'm probably gonna drop the "Rooth-ven" pronunciation from here on out. I actually recorded that act before you brought up how his name should be pronounced, and since he's only mentioned in the dramatis personae... easy fix.

Anyway, I'll cut out the "time of representation" as soon as I get a chance.
PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

ChuckW wrote: July 25th, 2018, 3:56 pm
leanneyauyau wrote: July 25th, 2018, 7:11 am That would be great, thank you!
Here you are:

There's Nae Luck About The House
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMN5rYNIPRw

Down the Burn, Davie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_33ukiRvY8

A' The Airts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAVx7oKn0oM

I don't know how helpful these are. Obviously, nobody expects a pitch-perfect rendition of each of these, but I thought it might be helpful if you need some vague idea of the tune Planche was going for. And of course, chanting along is also a-okay.

And don't worry, Sonia: these are all very, very old traditional Scottish songs.
I don't think I'll have any trouble with Nae Luck (I'm a classical soprano singer so I don't mind the high notes), but that version of Down the Burn and Of a' the Airts (and others I tried to google) were quite difficult to fit to the lyrics in the script. Is is alright if I just make up something of my own?
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

Update: have devised a melody similar to Of a' the Airts, so it has the same chords as the original but just a different melody to fit the lyrics provided. I'll figure out what to do with Down the Burn Davie soonish, but will likely do something similar.
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

leanneyauyau wrote: July 27th, 2018, 1:39 am Update: have devised a melody similar to Of a' the Airts, so it has the same chords as the original but just a different melody to fit the lyrics provided. I'll figure out what to do with Down the Burn Davie soonish, but will likely do something similar.
No worries, Leanne. I didn't expect anyone to stick to letter of each suggested tune. You're welcome to improvise all you want. :-)

Thanks again. Can't wait to hear it.
PROJECTS
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

alanmapstone wrote: July 26th, 2018, 3:43 am I would like to do the role of Robert, I can do an Englishman as well as anyone, but I will not be able to start on it for a month so you may prefer to leave it open.

I forgot to send you links to all the suggested tunes Planche mentions in the play.

Lass of Pattie's Mill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NufJ4MA6QW8

Of A' The Airts (which Leanne didn't find very helpful--she's doing something else)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX6c5bE4ntA

Again, you don't have to follow these (and can just chant if you like), but thought I should provide them.
PROJECTS
benderca

Post by benderca »

My I play Unda, Spirit of the Flood, please?

I'll just follow Leanne's lead for the chant in unison.
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

benderca wrote: July 30th, 2018, 1:45 pm My I play Unda, Spirit of the Flood, please?

I'll just follow Leanne's lead for the chant in unison.
That would be terrific, TJ! Thank you so much!
PROJECTS
TenorBoy

Post by TenorBoy »

Hey, I'd be totally down to sing the boat song for the Singer on Page 8, if you want me! It'd be a real quick, fun recording, which is just what I need right now :)
Ashur Gharavi

My Catalog Page: https://librivox.org/reader/10143
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

TenorBoy wrote: August 4th, 2018, 1:27 am Hey, I'd be totally down to sing the boat song for the Singer on Page 8, if you want me! It'd be a real quick, fun recording, which is just what I need right now :)
That would be incredible! Thank you so much. :-)
PROJECTS
Foon

Post by Foon »

Lady Margaret, Act I:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/vampire_ladymargaret_1.mp3

For your PLing pleasure, I've also included a shriek where the script said (lady Margaret shrieks) :lol: Don't know if you can use it, but I figured why not :p
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Foon wrote: August 9th, 2018, 5:08 am Lady Margaret, Act I:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/vampire_ladymargaret_1.mp3
For your PLing pleasure, I've also included a shriek where the script said (lady Margaret shrieks) :lol: Don't know if you can use it, but I figured why not :p
:lol: thanks for warning me beforehand. I once had someone shriek in my ears (I even had headphones on). I nearly got a heart attack.

Lady Margaret is excellent. So troubled throughout the scene, first with the tale of the dream and then meeting Ruthven in person. Wonderfully characterized. :thumbs: No missing lines or errors, so PL ok.

Only one thing concerning the voice credit:

> please give us the entire description as in the MW: "Lady Margaret, Daughter of Ronald, read by Foon"

but no need to reupload this Act, just include it in the second act, that's fine. :)

Thanks

Sonia
Foon

Post by Foon »

Ahh right, sorry about that. Fortunately, I was just finishing up editing act II so I quickly stuck the correct voice credit in!

Lady Margaret, Act II:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/vampire_ladymargaret_2.mp3
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian