COMPLETE[PLAY]Trelawny of the Wells by Pinero - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
PeterMusgrove

Post by PeterMusgrove »

Thanks Sonia :)
Kitty wrote: December 27th, 2018, 4:58 am
PeterMusgrove wrote: December 26th, 2018, 1:31 pmMy, I've had a time with this file! I put it down to Christmas Eve drinkies. I have the file that passed Checker, so if you want me to upload it, just let me know!
no unless you did any other changes than these two sentences, it's fine. Amplifiying the file is no big deal and I made a note in the MW.

Thanks

Sonia
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."
~ Charles Bukowski
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Act 2 is ready for final PL.

Enjoy!

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: December 28th, 2018, 11:12 am Act 2 is ready for final PL.
Enjoy!
oh yes, enjoy I did. What a mayhem at the end, and the beginning sounds really tragic for Rose. The uncomfortable situation is really palpable in all the dialogues. And Todd, you do really carry the scene here as disagreeable Old Gower :thumbs:

I loved it that you didn't merge the voices here but rather let them all speak one after the other. A good choice, sounds more natural.

I would only cut out one narrator line here:

> at 34:54: Avonia. [Laughing merrily.] Yes, ha, ha, ha! - Leanne's fresh merry laugh would sound much better uninterrupted here :)

the rest is perfect !

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Changed as you suggest.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: December 28th, 2018, 1:39 pm Changed as you suggest.
:thumbs: perfect now. PL ok

Sonia
Treefairy

Post by Treefairy »

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/trelawnyofthewells_mrablett_1_128kb.mp3
file is 6m30s

I had so much fun doing this! Thanks, everyone for your patience, it's much appreciated.

If anything needs fixing, I'll get it back to you fast.

Thanks again,
Robin
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you. I have put it in the MW for PL by Kitty/Sonia. Glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Treefairy wrote: January 19th, 2019, 4:26 pmhttps://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/trelawnyofthewells_mrablett_1_128kb.mp3
file is 6m30s
I had so much fun doing this! Thanks, everyone for your patience, it's much appreciated.
If anything needs fixing, I'll get it back to you fast.
wonderful job, Robin and well worth the wait :clap: I loved the accent you are giving Mr Ablett here, it sounds so genuinely Londonish to me. Wish I could do one like that. You also gave him a very down-to-earth character, which absolutely fits well. And a special mention goes to your merry laugh over Colpoys jokes :lol: this was so contaminating, I had to laugh with you while I listened. :thumbs:

Unfortunately, you're not off the hook yet, because I found two missing lines ;) It's true, the Gutenberg script was kinda messy, and you were not the only one missing a line. :? These are easily fixed though, simply insert the missing lines in the correct spots I'm pointing out.

EDIT: a separate file would be easier, as Todd already inserted your lines in the masterfile. So ignore the time stamps ;)

> at about 1:22: missing line: "This will be a blow to the "Wells," ma'am."

> at about 4:41: missing laughter: Ablett. [Going out, blind with mirth.] Ha, ha, ha! ho, ho!

And that's all. Just a word of caution concerning volume, which is a bit over our accepted limit. Doesn't matter here, Todd will adjust volume anyway in the final editing process, so you don't need to correct this. Just be careful of clipping, if you are too loud, the sound may get distorted. It didn't here, but I wanted to make you aware that it could happen.

Great first stage role and I definitely hope it won't be the last !!!

So as soon as you lines are in, we can finish this play :9: And have you seen we already started the next Pinero ? Some juicy roles still left there ;)

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Wonderful reading! I have cut it in and just await the two missing lines before completing the act and the play.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: January 20th, 2019, 4:20 amWonderful reading! I have cut it in and just await the two missing lines before completing the act and the play.
actually in that case, it would be even easier for all to hand in a separate file for the two missing lines. No need to reupload the old one then.

We're so close :9:

Sonia
Treefairy

Post by Treefairy »

Oh my goodness, after reading the comments, I'm all smiles! Thanks so much. I'll go look for those lines and get on it! Thanks again. I was worried that it sounded off, so I kept trying, so happy it paid off! :D Another Pinero? I'll check it out!
Treefairy

Post by Treefairy »

Here it is. I have been having trouble getting the volume right. I tried to download mp3gain but it's not compatible with windows 10, so I used replay gain and it worked great for the first line, but the laugh went off the chart literally. I tried to fix and to my ear it doesn't sound distorted but if it doesn't work, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Treefairy wrote: January 20th, 2019, 7:44 am Here it is. I have been having trouble getting the volume right. I tried to download mp3gain but it's not compatible with windows 10, so I used replay gain and it worked great for the first line, but the laugh went off the chart literally. I tried to fix and to my ear it doesn't sound distorted but if it doesn't work, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks

wonderful, thank you so much for the quick turn-around. Now all is PL ok and I predict this may get archived tonight :9:

As to the volume, in drama this is not as easy as in a uniform chapter or poem. So some parts you see which are loud you need to highlight separately and then run replay gain. Although it doesn't matter so much in drama, since the volume will get adjusted by the editor anyway, to make us all sound at a similar volume in the end. If you're careful not to be too soft or too loud then all is fine.

Thanks, and I hope I hear you in another play soon

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Last act - Act 1 - ready for final PL!

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: January 20th, 2019, 11:15 amLast act - Act 1 - ready for final PL!
what a brilliant beginning to this play :clap: when all the "actors" are together at the farewell party, this is such an amazing amalgam of different original characters, it's an excellent treat to listen to. Great job, all of you !

Todd, I have only a few notes this time, but I believe you can cut out two more stage directions, to make the flow better:

> at 35:41: "they sing together" - since Imogen and Rose are singing together, this is redundant
> at 54:01: "Tom in an audible whisper" - Tomas is doing this whisper quite well and it will flow better without the narration

One more question:

> at 1:49: "Mr Ablett, a grocer" - didn't Larry say this to be cut in ? Sorry I missed a few full credits, it seems :? but indeed I only referred to the MW when I checked those.

I'll check in again before I go to bed, just to see if the last version is up, then you can archive it tonight. I'll be up for another couple of hours still.

Sonia