COMPLETE[PLAY]At The Sign Of The Greedy Pig by Charles Brooks - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Foon wrote: July 18th, 2018, 1:58 am Here are the few lines for Another Old Woman:
I found only one All line, "Hooray!" in Act 2 - is that correct?
nicely done, Foon. Especially in the second act you really get into the "gossipy biddy routine" :lol: the sentence about the witch riding in the sky really sounded fabulous. :thumbs:

I think I can mark both Acts PL ok. Although I have one optional note for Act 1:

> at about 0:52: p. 173: here is also one ALL line “Hooray !”, but seeing that we have a lot of voices already, I let you decide if you want to reupload. If needs be, Todd can take your Hooray from the second act as well.

Todd, I have one note for Act 2:

> at 0:50: (p. 206) “And he does, he has my vote”. Actually I thought this would be “another old man”, as he comes right after “an old man”. But I'm opting for not deleting this line, so in case we are hard-pressed to find another reader to read this line, we can use this one.
Or maybe even...should we cut out the “another old man” role in the MW altogether ? It doesn’t really matter if this line is read by an old woman or man, I think. :hmm: Would economize us one voice for a small role. Unless we need to consider that it's only the MEN that had a vote back in those days.

Up to you, Todd. :)

Sonia
Foon

Post by Foon »

Kitty wrote: July 18th, 2018, 2:16 am
Foon wrote: July 18th, 2018, 1:58 am Here are the few lines for Another Old Woman:
I found only one All line, "Hooray!" in Act 2 - is that correct?
nicely done, Foon. Especially in the second act you really get into the "gossipy biddy routine" :lol: the sentence about the witch riding in the sky really sounded fabulous. :thumbs:

I think I can mark both Acts PL ok. Although I have one optional note for Act 1:

> at about 0:52: p. 173: here is also one ALL line “Hooray !”, but seeing that we have a lot of voices already, I let you decide if you want to reupload. If needs be, Todd can take your Hooray from the second act as well.

> at 0:50: (p. 206) “And he does, he has my vote”. Actually I thought this would be “another old man”, as he comes right after “an old man”. But I'm opting for not deleting this line, so in case we are hard-pressed to find another reader to read this line, we can use this one.
Or maybe even...should we cut out the “another old man” role in the MW altogether ? It doesn’t really matter if this line is read by an old woman or man, I think. :hmm: Would economize us one voice for a small role. Unless we need to consider that it's only the MEN that had a vote back in those days.

Sonia
I added a 'Hooray!' at the end of section 1, just to be sure. https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/signofthegreedypig_anotheroldwoman_1_128kb.mp3

About the act 2 line: sorry, I must've overlooked like that wasn't mine. I can imagine though that it might be odd if it's a woman saying something about her vote, considering that in other places they're talking about "my husband's vote". But obviously it's up to you guys!
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Foon wrote: July 18th, 2018, 2:38 am I added a 'Hooray!' at the end of section 1, just to be sure. https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/signofthegreedypig_anotheroldwoman_1_128kb.mp3

About the act 2 line: sorry, I must've overlooked like that wasn't mine. I can imagine though that it might be odd if it's a woman saying something about her vote, considering that in other places they're talking about "my husband's vote". But obviously it's up to you guys!
yes that is my dilemma too... I let Todd decide. And for the time being we can also wait if we get a male to say the sentence, but if it takes too long, it's a good thing to have your sentence to rely back on.

Anyway...women CAN have the vote AND get their husbands to vote for the person they want them to :mrgreen:

Thanks for the extra Hurray !

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: July 18th, 2018, 2:16 am

Sonia
I agree with you and will delete the “another old man” role from the MW. In the spirit of theatrical parsimony of course, not gender franchise!

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

In case anyone is interested, I posted links in Book Suggestions for the other titles by this author which are listed in the front of this book. None of them are plays, but they seem to be, from my hasty perusal, just as funny as his plays are!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mightyfelix wrote: July 19th, 2018, 12:36 pmAh, the fair Mistress Trencher! :wink:
ooooh she is such a flirt :wink: the poor ballad monger. But in the end at least she shows her heart of gold and saves him. :9:

I must say you are doing a great contrast in how you flirtingly talk to ballad monger and syndic, compared to the commando you're using for Whimp, Blat and Squeak. :thumbs: This woman knows how to get her ways.

Wonderful job, I'm happy that you took this role, Devorah. :D Both acts PL ok.

Optional note for Act 1: right at the end, you missed the ALL line “Hooray !” on page 173. But one could argue, Mistress Trencher is probably too cool to cheer on the syndic at this point. In Act 2 she does it, and if Todd wants he can also take that line for Act 1. Anyway, we do have a lot of Hoorays to make up a great crowd already. So, up to you if you want to give us another one.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

mightyfelix wrote: July 19th, 2018, 1:34 pm In case anyone is interested, I posted links in Book Suggestions for the other titles by this author which are listed in the front of this book. None of them are plays, but they seem to be, from my hasty perusal, just as funny as his plays are!
When The Pirate Woman is done I may have to offer the novel you suggest. Unless you want to do so?

Thanks, Todd
Roger

Post by Roger »

Surgeon, act 1:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/signofthegreedypig_surgeon_1_128kb.mp3

Clocking in at 7:08
As always, let me know of any improvements that can be made, or errors that shouldn't have been made. I should have act 2 in the next day or so.
Thanks! :)
-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you Roger :9: looking forward to this. I'll update the MW for now but tonight is pretty booked out already. I try to get to listening tomorrow.

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Here is Blat, the deaf beggar:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/signofthegreedypig_blat_1_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/signofthegreedypig_blat_2_128kb.mp3

Should be a very straightforward PL job, as he repeats the same line for half the play LOL. :lol:
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: July 21st, 2018, 2:48 pm Here is Blat, the deaf beggar:
wohooo, thank you, Tomas. Looking forward to this. I fear I won't have time today, but will do so tomorrow at the latest.

Meanwhile updating MW.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Roger wrote: July 21st, 2018, 9:34 am Surgeon, act 1:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/signofthegreedypig_surgeon_1_128kb.mp3
Clocking in at 7:08
As always, let me know of any improvements that can be made, or errors that shouldn't have been made. I should have act 2 in the next day or so.
no this is excellent, Roger !!! Just had a listen to the surgeon and he is well portrayed. You managed to convey the hypocrisy in his voice when he talks to the Syndic. Especially since we know his real frame of mind beforehand with the Student. :thumbs: Wonderfully done.

I have however found one small deviation from the text, and I think it would improve if you changed that word:

> at 4:59: (p. 153) "Croesus bids a golden bag against Apollo's voice" - you say "builds" but I think bidding would make more sense here: making a wager on either the syndic or the singer to win Mistress Trencher

The rest is totally fine ! Thanks :D

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: July 21st, 2018, 2:48 pm Here is Blat, the deaf beggar:
Should be a very straightforward PL job, as he repeats the same line for half the play LOL. :lol:
I did find the time after all :lol: and wow yes, I lost count of how many times you wanted people to "pity the poor" :mrgreen: In Act 1 I thought you did one too many, but maybe my cursor slipped once and threw me off-line. In any case, better one too many than not enough. (although a copy/paste job would be easy in this case). I did notice some subtle differences though, you did record them each time anew, right ? :thumbs: It must have been taxing to say the same thing over and over again.

Anyway, great job. I especially like when you are switching from vicious comments about Twist to pathetic "pity the poor" in the same sentence. Shows the hypocrisy very well fo these so-called beggars. 8-)

Both Acts PL ok. Although I would say, the beggars need not really be included in the Hurray at the syndic in the end. I'm not sure they have reason to cheer him on. :lol: But I let Todd decide that once he is assembling the crowd. We definitely have enough voices for that part now.

Sonia