COMPLETE[PLAY]Every Man In His Humour by Jonson - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: July 25th, 2018, 5:40 pmThis was fun to perform! Though, silly me, I did not notice all the double entendres in Act 4 until I was editing. Fortunately, I sound like I'm emphasizing the "right" words LOL. :lol:
:lol: how you could NOT notice these double-entendres ? Nobody can be that innocent ;)

I agree this was a fun part to play and I absolutely enjoyed your performance. He had huge monologues in there, but you did them with great expressiveness so it didn't become boring. My favourite parts was where he was snivveling before the judge and of course our scene where you verbally abuse me and the afore-mentioned innuendoes :mrgreen:

Acts 1, 2 and 4 are already PL ok. For some reason act 2 was missing as section in the MW. :hmm: I inserted it.

Couple of sentences missing in the other acts:

Act 3:

> at about 7:19: please insert: "O, good master justice! Sweet old gentleman!"

Act 5:

> at about 0:04: please insert: "And worthily, I hope, if it shall prove so."

Great job ! Thanks

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Thanks for catching those, Sonia. The layout of this particular script wasn't the most reader-friendly. :?

Acts 3 and 5 have been re-uploaded for spot PL. :D
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: July 26th, 2018, 3:34 pmActs 3 and 5 have been re-uploaded for spot PL. :D
thanks ! All PL ok now.

Sonia
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Ah, I see. I was wondering where I went wrong, but taking a close look at the text we have:

Step. I marle whether it be a Toledo or no.

Bob. A most perfect Toledo, I assure you, sir. Step. I have a
countryman of his here.

Mat. Pray you, let's see, sir; yes, faith, it is.

For some reason, the Gutenberg people neglected to begin a new line for Stephen's speech. I was wondering what "Step" meant in the middle of the speech.
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

In reading the rest of my speeches I found a couple more instances of lines like that I mentioned in my previous post. I hope I read them correctly.

Here is the rest of Bobadill:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/everymaninhishumour_bobadill_3.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/everymaninhishumour_bobadill_4.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/everymaninhishumour_bobadill_5.mp3

I do have a couple questions of interpretation concerning the long speech in Act Four that begins at 2:34. At one point, Gutenberg has Bobadill saying, "as I have walked alone in divers skirts it'll town, as Turnbull, etc." I believe that "it'll" should be "i'th" as in "in the town." As you probably know, "i'th" is a common contraction of the time, and in this instance, it makes far more sense than "it'll."
Near the end of the same speech, Gutenberg reads, "yet I hold it good polity not to go disarmed." I read "polity" just as it is written, but the more I think of it, I believe the word should be "policy." If you concur then I can redo that sentence.

All in all, a fun role to read.

Brad
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you. Sorry about the quality of the script.

In Sonia's absence I will try to take a listen once I get some of my other project editing out of the way.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hamlet wrote: July 30th, 2018, 9:46 amI do have a couple questions of interpretation concerning the long speech in Act Four that begins at 2:34. At one point, Gutenberg has Bobadill saying, "as I have walked alone in divers skirts it'll town, as Turnbull, etc." I believe that "it'll" should be "i'th" as in "in the town." As you probably know, "i'th" is a common contraction of the time, and in this instance, it makes far more sense than "it'll."
Near the end of the same speech, Gutenberg reads, "yet I hold it good polity not to go disarmed." I read "polity" just as it is written, but the more I think of it, I believe the word should be "policy." If you concur then I can redo that sentence.
I agree with "in the streets" it makes more sense. For polity...that word exists too and who knows what meaning shift it may have undergone since Elizabethan times. I would opt for leaving that one as it is written.

Bobadill is such a braggard :lol: And his mass-homicidal speech in Act 4 totally clashes with the whining he delivers in Act 5. Soooo funny. :mrgreen: I can imagine that this is a role everybody would love to play on stage.

Acts 3 and 5 are already PL ok. :thumbs:

for Act 4 I found a missing speech though:

> at about 7:20: missing lines: "Tut! I assure you, no: you shall have there your nobilis, your gentilezza, come in bravely upon your reverse, stand you close, stand you firm, stand you fair, save your retricato with his left leg, come to the assalto with the right, thrust with brave steel, defy your base wood! But wherefore do I awake this remembrance? I was fascinated, by Jupiter; fascinated, but I will be unwitch'd and revenged by law."

Some more bragging for you to do, Brad ;)

Thanks !

Sonia
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Missed speech by Bobadill added. I see how I missed it. There was no spacing between it and the previous speech.

Brad
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hamlet wrote: August 9th, 2018, 7:35 am Missed speech by Bobadill added. I see how I missed it. There was no spacing between it and the previous speech.
I would have one final small adjustment to note:

> at 7:40: "defy your base wood" - you say "brave wood", but my guess is, it should probably show the contrast to the preceeding "brave steel"

Sonia
ZamesCurran

Post by ZamesCurran »

Kitty wrote: August 8th, 2018, 4:39 am For polity...that word exists too and who knows what meaning shift it may have undergone since Elizabethan times. I would opt for leaving that one as it is written.

This is why I own an Oxford English Dictionary:

Polity
1 ) Civil organization (as a condition); civil order
(citations from 1538)

2) a particular form of political oraganization; a form of government
(citations from 1597)
Truth,
James
---------------------
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ZamesCurran wrote: August 12th, 2018, 9:15 am Polity
1 ) Civil organization (as a condition); civil order
(citations from 1538)

2) a particular form of political oraganization; a form of government
(citations from 1597)
thanks for the info, James ! Now I wonder...does it make sense here ? :hmm:

Sonia
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

May I claim Justice Clement please.

Thnx!
Nemo

Thoreau - “Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Roger Formal, please!
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Bobadill. My correction to the correction. I hope I finally have it right! :)

Brad