[DR] The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle - tg

Plays and other dramatic works
Post Reply
Elizabby
Posts: 7874
Joined: April 1st, 2011, 5:36 pm
Location: Kelsingra

Post by Elizabby » October 26th, 2018, 3:44 pm

axcel wrote:
October 21st, 2018, 2:25 am
for the role of doctor dolittle:

section 7: 7:10

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/voyagesdrdolittle_drdolittle_07.mp3
This is a bit of a picky request, but since this is a Dramatic Reading project I'm going to mention it, as I think it is important for understanding.

@2:07 in this file there is a phrase which sounds weird the way you have broken it up. It needs to run together in the middle: "and if he has gone without any one to write it down for him so the world may be the better for it, it would be a terrible thing."

The way you have it, it sounds like the world may be the better for it if he is gone! :shock: Rather than, if he has gone without his wisdom being recorded for posterity, that would be a terrible thing.

I think give that this is a book for children, clarity is important, and if I had to check the text then a listener without the text in front of them is probably going to struggle.

The rest of this recording was PL OK - I particularly liked the scolding you gave Cheapside! :thumbs: Your expression and characterisation is in general spot on! :9:

axcel
Posts: 36
Joined: August 2nd, 2017, 5:58 pm

Post by axcel » November 11th, 2018, 1:19 am

i will the care of this


axcel
Posts: 36
Joined: August 2nd, 2017, 5:58 pm

Post by axcel » November 11th, 2018, 5:08 am

hi elizabby,

no worries. i will re-edit this

thanks for the feedback on the exchange with cheapside! i had a lot of fun with dolittle; i like him tremendously.

as you no doubt can see, the balance of dolittle's sections are uploaded. any more feedback will be appreciated.

axcel




Elizabby wrote:
October 26th, 2018, 3:44 pm
axcel wrote:
October 21st, 2018, 2:25 am
for the role of doctor dolittle:

section 7: 7:10

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/voyagesdrdolittle_drdolittle_07.mp3
This is a bit of a picky request, but since this is a Dramatic Reading project I'm going to mention it, as I think it is important for understanding.

@2:07 in this file there is a phrase which sounds weird the way you have broken it up. It needs to run together in the middle: "and if he has gone without any one to write it down for him so the world may be the better for it, it would be a terrible thing."

The way you have it, it sounds like the world may be the better for it if he is gone! :shock: Rather than, if he has gone without his wisdom being recorded for posterity, that would be a terrible thing.

I think give that this is a book for children, clarity is important, and if I had to check the text then a listener without the text in front of them is probably going to struggle.

The rest of this recording was PL OK - I particularly liked the scolding you gave Cheapside! :thumbs: Your expression and characterisation is in general spot on! :9:

Elizabby
Posts: 7874
Joined: April 1st, 2011, 5:36 pm
Location: Kelsingra

Post by Elizabby » November 12th, 2018, 5:22 am

Dr Dolittle S12, S15 and S19 are all PL OK!

(I just did the three short ones, I'll do the rest later this week.)

axcel
Posts: 36
Joined: August 2nd, 2017, 5:58 pm

Post by axcel » November 12th, 2018, 5:28 pm

Elizabby wrote:
November 12th, 2018, 5:22 am
Dr Dolittle S12, S15 and S19 are all PL OK!

(I just did the three short ones, I'll do the rest later this week.)
that's great!

(good strategy that, doing the short ones first)

Elizabby
Posts: 7874
Joined: April 1st, 2011, 5:36 pm
Location: Kelsingra

Post by Elizabby » November 12th, 2018, 11:24 pm

Oh dear! There is a line that was mis-coloured in Section 16. It belongs to the crowd, but unfortunately all the crowd voices have already been recorded.

Here it is: “He comes!—He comes!” murmured the crowd. “Away! Away!—To the Whispering Rocks!”

It belongs to MrsHand, SusanFerman and Bill Mosely, but their files are all marked PL OK. If any of them would like to record that extra line that would be great, otherwise anyone else on the thread could probably just record it in a separate file and we can add in a couple of new sections in the MW for "Crowd Voice 1 and 2"...

Elizabby
Posts: 7874
Joined: April 1st, 2011, 5:36 pm
Location: Kelsingra

Post by Elizabby » November 13th, 2018, 3:32 am

Dr Dolittle all the other sections are PL OK except for Section 13:

@4:09 there is a line missing “It was an oddly shaped mountain—looked like a hawk’s head."

So once S7 and S13 are corrected, Dr Dolittle will be all done! :clap:

mightyfelix
Posts: 2881
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » November 13th, 2018, 9:38 am

Thanks for all your hard work, everyone! Life is keeping me busy, so it's nice to know this project is still moving along without me to shepherd it. :lol:

We do have two orphaned roles, Mr. Stubbins and the Defense Lawyer. Any takers?

mightyfelix
Posts: 2881
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » November 13th, 2018, 9:39 am

Elizabby wrote:
November 12th, 2018, 11:24 pm
Oh dear! There is a line that was mis-coloured in Section 16. It belongs to the crowd, but unfortunately all the crowd voices have already been recorded.

Here it is: “He comes!—He comes!” murmured the crowd. “Away! Away!—To the Whispering Rocks!”

It belongs to MrsHand, SusanFerman and Bill Mosely, but their files are all marked PL OK. If any of them would like to record that extra line that would be great, otherwise anyone else on the thread could probably just record it in a separate file and we can add in a couple of new sections in the MW for "Crowd Voice 1 and 2"...
Whoops! :oops: Thanks for that catch. Wish I'd noticed earlier. I'll see if these three are still around and want to submit the extra line. If not, we can put out an open call.

axcel
Posts: 36
Joined: August 2nd, 2017, 5:58 pm

Post by axcel » November 13th, 2018, 10:43 pm

Elizabby wrote:
November 13th, 2018, 3:32 am
Dr Dolittle all the other sections are PL OK except for Section 13:

@4:09 there is a line missing “It was an oddly shaped mountain—looked like a hawk’s head."

So once S7 and S13 are corrected, Dr Dolittle will be all done! :clap:
easy-peasy - sunday this weekend is my 'dolittle-day' - look for those fixes then

mightyfelix
Posts: 2881
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » November 15th, 2018, 4:09 pm

One more fix for the Doctor, please. I've started editing for section 3, and there is one place where the Doctor says, "Where do you mean?" The line I have from you is "What do you mean?" I thought this had been corrected already, but it must have gotten missed. If you like, you can simply submit this one line in its own little file. You can call it "s3_missingline" or something of that nature. Here is the passage:
“Are those deer over there?” I asked.
“Deer!” said the Doctor. “Where do you mean?”
“Over there,” I said, pointing—“nibbling the grass border of the bed. There are two of them.”

Elizabby
Posts: 7874
Joined: April 1st, 2011, 5:36 pm
Location: Kelsingra

Post by Elizabby » November 15th, 2018, 4:15 pm

mightyfelix wrote:
November 15th, 2018, 4:09 pm
One more fix for the Doctor, please. I've started editing for section 3, and there is one place where the Doctor says, "Where do you mean?" The line I have from you is "What do you mean?" I thought this had been corrected already, but it must have gotten missed. If you like, you can simply submit this one line in its own little file. You can call it "s3_missingline" or something of that nature. Here is the passage:
“Are those deer over there?” I asked.
“Deer!” said the Doctor. “Where do you mean?”
“Over there,” I said, pointing—“nibbling the grass border of the bed. There are two of them.”
No, this has definitely been corrected. Is the correct file linked in the MW?

mightyfelix
Posts: 2881
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » November 15th, 2018, 4:16 pm

Elizabby wrote:
November 15th, 2018, 4:15 pm
mightyfelix wrote:
November 15th, 2018, 4:09 pm
One more fix for the Doctor, please. I've started editing for section 3, and there is one place where the Doctor says, "Where do you mean?" The line I have from you is "What do you mean?" I thought this had been corrected already, but it must have gotten missed. If you like, you can simply submit this one line in its own little file. You can call it "s3_missingline" or something of that nature. Here is the passage:
“Are those deer over there?” I asked.
“Deer!” said the Doctor. “Where do you mean?”
“Over there,” I said, pointing—“nibbling the grass border of the bed. There are two of them.”
No, this has definitely been corrected. Is the correct file linked in the MW?
Oh, I suppose not, since I downloaded it from the MW a couple of hours ago. I'll search through the thread and see if I can find it.

Elizabby
Posts: 7874
Joined: April 1st, 2011, 5:36 pm
Location: Kelsingra

Post by Elizabby » November 15th, 2018, 4:19 pm


Post Reply