COMPLETE [DR] The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: April 13th, 2018, 3:25 pm Oi be sure, Oi trooly be,
The ol' Ben Butcher's th' part fer me.

Chris
LOL! Thanks Chris, since Devorah has approved you I've added your claim to the MW - record when ready!
JonBailey

Post by JonBailey »

Hey, I'm new here and I would like to record one of the parts in this project. I am not familiar with the work, so who do you suggest I should play?
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

How would you like to be Bob the bulldog? He's got some interesting things to say!

Before you do that though, you need to record and post a 1 minute test, to check your technical specs. Full instructions are in the introduction forum, please post the test to the Listeners and Editors Forum (not here).
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

JonBailey wrote: April 13th, 2018, 11:18 pm Hey, I'm new here and I would like to record one of the parts in this project. I am not familiar with the work, so who do you suggest I should play?
Hmm. :hmm: Well, since I haven't heard your voice before, it's hard to judge what part might suit you. You may have seen me suggesting parts for other readers here, but I've worked with many of them before, and I know their voices.

How about this? Go ahead and start with your one-minute test, since you'll need to do that anyway before you sit down to record anything. The test is to make sure that all your technical settings are in order and your volume is good. Then, someone (maybe me, if no one else gets to it first) will check your test and tell you if any changes are needed. Regardless of who checks your test, I'll have a listen myself to see if a particular part suggests itself.

While you're waiting for your test to be checked, you can go ahead and take a look at the available parts in the MW (magic window) in the first post of this thread. Available roles are shown in blue. Each role has the section numbers next to it in which it appears, and if you follow the links in each section at the top of the MW, you can see the color coded scripts. That will at least give you an idea of how large a role you're looking at, and what kind of character it is.

Welcome to LibriVox, and I look forward to working with you! :D

EDIT: Beth posted before me! :lol: She's right, Bob is a great part. But whatever you do, the test is definitely your first step! :thumbs:
benderca

Post by benderca »

mightyfelix wrote: April 12th, 2018, 8:36 am
I think you mean Long Arrow? It is a man (and that's the second time these unconventional names have caused gender confusion :lol:
Ok, I am literally rolling on the floor laughing right now! :lol:
loon

Post by loon »

Jip for Section 5. I've recorded the rest of the lines but haven't cleaned things up on them yet.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/voyagesdrdolittle_jip_05_128kb.mp3
3:59

In chapter 3 of the section, Jip has been running and is winded, so I tried to make those lines breathy.

Suggestions and criticisms are welcome.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
JonBailey

Post by JonBailey »

Hello. This is the file for my one minute test:
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/1_Minute_Test.mp3

I recorded this using Audacity in Windows 10 with a USB Rode Podcaster microphone.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

loon wrote: April 14th, 2018, 6:40 pm Jip for Section 5. I've recorded the rest of the lines but haven't cleaned things up on them yet.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/voyagesdrdolittle_jip_05_128kb.mp3
3:59

In chapter 3 of the section, Jip has been running and is winded, so I tried to make those lines breathy.

Very nicely done! I like a bit of drama in my Dramatised Readings! :thumbs: All of "Jip" is PL OK - you'll see I've moved your files to the bottom with the completed characters. If you are looking for some more DR work, I could use some more voices in "Story of the Amulet" - click on the red link in my signature file and have a look at that project, if you have the time!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

JonBailey wrote: April 15th, 2018, 5:29 am Hello. This is the file for my one minute test:
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/1_Minute_Test.mp3

I recorded this using Audacity in Windows 10 with a USB Rode Podcaster microphone.
Thanks!

After hearing this, I do think that Bob would be a great role for you. Or, really, any of the male characters in section 6 (the courtroom scene). Luke the Hermit or the policeman in section 5 would be nice, too. Take a look at the parts, and let me know which one you'd like. You could also take one of the Popsipetels or islanders towards the end of the book, if you want.
Bill Mosley

Post by Bill Mosley »

Hola! Que tal?

I can manage enough Spanish dialect to do

44 Pepito de Malaga Famous bullfighter
S10 Open

I have actually seen a bullfight!

Bill
Bill

How did it get so late so soon?
It’s night before it’s afternoon.
December is here before it’s June.
My goodness how the time has flewn.
~Dr. Seuss
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Bill Mosley wrote: April 17th, 2018, 1:10 pm Hola! Que tal?

I can manage enough Spanish dialect to do

S10 Open

I have actually seen a bullfight!

Bill
Muy bien, y tu? :D

I'm happy to assign that to you. I feel I should tell you though, in case you haven't checked the script yet, that Pepito only has one line, and then a few phrases later on as part of an angry mob. :wink: If you'd like a slightly larger part, Don Enrique is another available Spaniard that might interest you. Either way, I'm happy to have you on this project!
Bill Mosley

Post by Bill Mosley »

Check the script? I read this book when I was in third grade! And that was 63 years ago.....

If you''re willing to risk it, I could do Don Enrique tambien.

I do voices sometimes. A ver, See my LV recording of "Remember the Alamo" by Farenbach.
http://ia800304.us.archive.org/18/items/short_scifi_038_1007_librivox/rememberalamo_fehrenbach_bm.mp3

Como no?
Last edited by Bill Mosley on April 17th, 2018, 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bill

~Dr. Seuss
Bill Mosley

Post by Bill Mosley »

Aqui esta!

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/voyagesdrdolittle_pepitomalagra_44_128kb.mp3

:47

I posted it raw. I did nothing to it after recording, not even deamplifly. I figure that happens in the cutting together.
Bill

~Dr. Seuss
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Bill Mosley wrote: April 17th, 2018, 3:01 pm Check the script? I read this book when I was in third grade! And that was 63 years ago.....

If you''re willing to risk it, I could do Don Enrique tambien.

I do voices sometimes. A ver, See my LV recording of "Remember the Alamo" by Farenbach.
http://ia800304.us.archive.org/18/items/short_scifi_038_1007_librivox/rememberalamo_fehrenbach_bm.mp3

Como no?
No, gracias. Unless they're Mel Blanc reincarnated, I don't like having the same reader appear as more than one character in the same section. It's too confusing to a listener. I'm afraid I was suggesting an alternate role, not an additional one. But thank you for Pepito! I'll add it to the MW when I get a chance, tonight hopefully. You could take another role in a different section, if you want. The judge or a lawyer in section 6, for instance, or an islander or Popsipetel towards the end of the book.