COMPLETE [DR] The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

[quote=Elizabby post_id=1482593 time=1530690190 user_id=46043

Section 1 is PL OK! :thumbs: I think you'll find there is less narration as the story picks up - the first few sections are narration-heavy as we meet everyone and establish the scene, but there's more dialogue as we go along. (If you want to do a short one, most of Section 11 is narrated by the Silver Fidgit, so the narration by Tommy Stubbins is only the first half of that section!)

Just a comment for Devorah: Larry's voice credit will need to be cut from the start of this chapter, as those will all be gathered in Section 0.
[/quote]

Ah, that's what I missed -- the prologue. I'll get it done next and I'll see if what I recorded of Sections 2 and 3 came out.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
SusanFerman

Post by SusanFerman »

Okay, I think I did this right:

Schoolboy 0:16 (including silences)
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/voyagesdrdolittle_schoolboy_5_128kb.mp3

Mrs. Luke 0:11 (including silences)
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/voyagesdrdolittle_mrs-luke_6_128kb.mp3

Heads-up, for those on headphones--Described as a shriek in the narrative, so it's LOUD

S
Susan Ferman
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Thanks Susan, these are great test files - but both are incomplete. There are more lines for both of those characters - you have to keep scrolling down in the script and record everything that is colour coded for your character. The School Boy has another couple of sentences on the next page, and Mrs Luke appears in the crowd scenes with several lines towards the end of the chapter.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thank you both! Yes, Susan, please be sure to check the entire document and read everything that is coded in your color. Sometimes, as in section 6 for instance, we've scripted a named character to also take a line or two in a crowd scene. Also in section 6, I'd like Mrs. Luke to join in the final "Hurray!"s. Her color is hard to see there, which is why I thought I'd mention it now. :)

EDIT: Also, I am hearing a strange kind of distortion in Mrs. Luke's "shriek" that I don't hear elsewhere. I'm not sure if that's because maybe you edited that part to be not quite so ear-piercing, or maybe even if I'm imagining it. But another good option, for those lines that need to sound loud without actually blowing out somebody's eardrums, is to back away from the mic, sometimes even a few feet away, if you need to be really loud. It still gives that "feel" of volume, without actually being too loud. :D
SusanFerman

Post by SusanFerman »

Ah, OK, didn't see the other lines--I really looked hard, too, since it says two lines (plural) for the schoolboy. :oops: Not sure how I missed them, but I will get it done ASAP. Hopefully the kid next door will run out of fireworks sooner, rather than later (for my dog's sake, too).

Yeah, the funny sound probably had to do with processing---you hit the nail on the head, I was trying not to blast out your ears---so that is easy to fix. Believe it or not, I was a good 2 feet from the mic... I will step further back. I guess that proves I definitely don't need a pre-amp! LOL
Susan Ferman
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

No rush. And as far as processing, for this project at least, I'd prefer files to be somewhat under-processed than over, if it came down to it. I'll be editing all sections together anyway, so I'll have the opportunity to fiddle with things and find something that works. :)
SusanFerman

Post by SusanFerman »

How's this?
I want to make sure it's right, before I finish Mrs. Luke.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/voyagesdolittle_schoolboy_.mp3
Susan Ferman
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

That's perfect! I look forward to Mrs Luke!
NishthaRocks

Post by NishthaRocks »

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/voyagesdrdolittle_audiencewoman_06_128kb_.mp3

This is the link to audience woman part. It is 1m 5s including silences.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

NishthaRocks wrote: July 7th, 2018, 5:18 am https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/voyagesdrdolittle_audiencewoman_06_128kb_.mp3

This is the link to audience woman part. It is 1m 5s including silences.
Great work! Nothing missing, and it sounds good! PL ok!
SusanFerman

Post by SusanFerman »

Elizabby wrote: July 7th, 2018, 3:05 am That's perfect! I look forward to Mrs Luke!
Yay! I think I am finally getting the hang of the technical stuff. Sort of.

Here is Mrs. Luke -- I put 3 second spaces between the "Hooray"s and included one extra one, just in case.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/voyagesdrdolittle_mrs-luke_6_128kb.mp3
Susan Ferman
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Thanks Susan, this is now PL perfect! :thumbs: (The volume and distortion are much better now, thanks.)

I like the variation in the "Hooray"s - that's good from an editing point of view. Group lines can be tricky so a faster and a slower version makes editing easier. Personally, I also prefer if they sound slightly different, so it isn't a cut and paste where all three versions sound identical. You've done a great job! :clap:

If you wanted to do another role in this project, the "Islander" roles at the end of the book are gender neutral. Otherwise, you are free to go find a new project to read for! :9:
SusanFerman

Post by SusanFerman »

Sure, I can do the Islander, no problem, but I may not get to it for a day or two.

S
Last edited by SusanFerman on July 7th, 2018, 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Susan Ferman
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Devorah, my third daughter was devastated that I didn't include a role for her when we did the scripts - only for my older two who are playing the two Porpoises. So with your permission, I might quickly rearrange the Porpoise roles into three instead of two (the number isn't specified in the text) and get the three girls to read it all together - it will all end up as one file anyway as I'll edit their material together myself. I'll create a third section for "Porpoise 3" and add her name to the MW, then I just need my husband to read for something and we will have the whole family on this project!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Elizabby wrote: July 7th, 2018, 4:52 pm Devorah, my third daughter was devastated that I didn't include a role for her when we did the scripts - only for my older two who are playing the two Porpoises. So with your permission, I might quickly rearrange the Porpoise roles into three instead of two (the number isn't specified in the text) and get the three girls to read it all together - it will all end up as one file anyway as I'll edit their material together myself. I'll create a third section for "Porpoise 3" and add her name to the MW, then I just need my husband to read for something and we will have the whole family on this project!
Aww, that sounds great! We do still need Joe the mussel man. :wink: