COMPLETE[PLAY] The Dream by Joanna Baillie - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
gauguin
Posts: 42
Joined: March 8th, 2018, 3:32 pm

Post by gauguin » July 6th, 2018, 11:33 am

ChuckW wrote:
June 29th, 2018, 1:38 pm
gauguin wrote:
June 29th, 2018, 1:29 pm
ChuckW wrote:
June 21st, 2018, 6:27 am

No rush. Happy to have you back. I really didn't have enough time to do this role justice myself. You're kind of a life saver. :-)
A question please.
Do you want separate files for each Act? Or just one file. Do you want me to mention that a line is pertaining to a different Act? I have been looking for instructions and before I do more work on my recordings and I wanted to hear what you prefer to have.

Thanks.
Yes, one file per act, with at least 2-3 seconds of silence between each line. And don't forget the character introduction at the beginning! :-)
Here is Jerome Act I

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/dream_jerome_1_128kb.mp3

gauguin
Posts: 42
Joined: March 8th, 2018, 3:32 pm

Post by gauguin » July 6th, 2018, 11:44 am

gauguin wrote:
July 6th, 2018, 11:33 am
ChuckW wrote:
June 29th, 2018, 1:38 pm
gauguin wrote:
June 29th, 2018, 1:29 pm


A question please.
Do you want separate files for each Act? Or just one file. Do you want me to mention that a line is pertaining to a different Act? I have been looking for instructions and before I do more work on my recordings and I wanted to hear what you prefer to have.

Thanks.
Yes, one file per act, with at least 2-3 seconds of silence between each line. And don't forget the character introduction at the beginning! :-)
Here is Jerome Act I

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/dream_jerome_1_128kb.mp3
And here is Jerome Act II

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/dream_jerome_2_128kb.mp3

gauguin
Posts: 42
Joined: March 8th, 2018, 3:32 pm

Post by gauguin » July 6th, 2018, 11:48 am

gauguin wrote:
July 6th, 2018, 11:44 am
gauguin wrote:
July 6th, 2018, 11:33 am
ChuckW wrote:
June 29th, 2018, 1:38 pm


Yes, one file per act, with at least 2-3 seconds of silence between each line. And don't forget the character introduction at the beginning! :-)
Here is Jerome Act I

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/dream_jerome_1_128kb.mp3
And here is Jerome Act II

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/dream_jerome_2_128kb.mp3
Jerome Act III

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/dream_jerome_3_128kb.mp3

ChuckW
Posts: 2635
Joined: January 22nd, 2012, 7:47 am
Location: The Lonesome Crowded Midwest

Post by ChuckW » July 6th, 2018, 4:08 pm

gauguin wrote:
July 6th, 2018, 11:48 am
gauguin wrote:
July 6th, 2018, 11:44 am
gauguin wrote:
July 6th, 2018, 11:33 am


Here is Jerome Act I

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/dream_jerome_1_128kb.mp3
And here is Jerome Act II

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/dream_jerome_2_128kb.mp3
Jerome Act III

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/dream_jerome_3_128kb.mp3
Woohoo! Thanks gauguin! Very nicely performed.
Help Us Finish These Projects:
The Dream (Joanna Baillie)
The Book of American Negro Poetry (multiple authors)
The Vampire; or, The Bride of the Isles (J.R. Planché)

My computer died. Might be a little slow to respond.

gauguin
Posts: 42
Joined: March 8th, 2018, 3:32 pm

Post by gauguin » July 6th, 2018, 4:40 pm

ChuckW wrote:
July 6th, 2018, 4:08 pm
gauguin wrote:
July 6th, 2018, 11:48 am
gauguin wrote:
July 6th, 2018, 11:44 am


And here is Jerome Act II

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/dream_jerome_2_128kb.mp3
Jerome Act III

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/dream_jerome_3_128kb.mp3
Woohoo! Thanks gauguin! Very nicely performed.
Thank you.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 12717
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » July 7th, 2018, 5:47 am

great job indeed Gauguin :) Jerome is a bit of an ambiguous character, I don't really know if I should like or dislike him. He is the one who puts all this into motion with his spreading of the dream. Sometimes he sounds genuinely concerned, and sometimes utterly fake. You convey that well.

I did find a few missing lines and errors though, which would need editing:

PL notes for Act 1:

> at about 2:13: (p. 105 bottom) missing lines: "Was it to a spot near the black monument in the stranger's burying vault, that it pointed ?"

> at about 3:41: (p. 107 middle) missing lines: "Are ye sure it is trumpets you hear ?"

> at 5:44: (p. 121 bottom): "on pain of falling victims to the pestilence" - I hear "pailing"

> at 6:45: (p. 123 top): "like that of a king, though habited more in the garb of a foreign soldier" - you say "thou", which changes the meaning

> at about 6:58: (p. 124 middle): missing OMNES lines: "Let us go immediately"

PL notes for Act 2:

> at about 0:05: (p. 127 middle): three missing OMNES lines:
> "The inscription - is there an inscription on it ?"
> "Break it open: - break it open."
> "What is there in it ? What hast thou found , Sexton ?"

> at about 0:41: (p. 128 middle): missing lines: "Come on, my lord, why do you stop short ?"

PL notes for Act 3:

> at 2:30: (p. 154 bottom): "to our blessed saint and martyr" - I hear "matter" :hmm:

> at 3:35-3:45 (p. 164 middle): nice touch to repeat the sentence in a "slow and distinct voice", but I'm not if we will keep that one or if we will use the stage directions here...I let Chuck decide this. Usually it is not done, but we only read what is written there. But it's good to have the option here :)

thanks

Sonia

ChuckW
Posts: 2635
Joined: January 22nd, 2012, 7:47 am
Location: The Lonesome Crowded Midwest

Post by ChuckW » July 8th, 2018, 7:29 am

Kitty wrote:
July 7th, 2018, 5:47 am
great job indeed Gauguin :) Jerome is a bit of an ambiguous character, I don't really know if I should like or dislike him. He is the one who puts all this into motion with his spreading of the dream. Sometimes he sounds genuinely concerned, and sometimes utterly fake. You convey that well.

I did find a few missing lines and errors though, which would need editing:

PL notes for Act 1:

> at about 2:13: (p. 105 bottom) missing lines: "Was it to a spot near the black monument in the stranger's burying vault, that it pointed ?"

> at about 3:41: (p. 107 middle) missing lines: "Are ye sure it is trumpets you hear ?"

> at 5:44: (p. 121 bottom): "on pain of falling victims to the pestilence" - I hear "pailing"

> at 6:45: (p. 123 top): "like that of a king, though habited more in the garb of a foreign soldier" - you say "thou", which changes the meaning

> at about 6:58: (p. 124 middle): missing OMNES lines: "Let us go immediately"

PL notes for Act 2:

> at about 0:05: (p. 127 middle): three missing OMNES lines:
> "The inscription - is there an inscription on it ?"
> "Break it open: - break it open."
> "What is there in it ? What hast thou found , Sexton ?"

> at about 0:41: (p. 128 middle): missing lines: "Come on, my lord, why do you stop short ?"

PL notes for Act 3:

> at 2:30: (p. 154 bottom): "to our blessed saint and martyr" - I hear "matter" :hmm:

> at 3:35-3:45 (p. 164 middle): nice touch to repeat the sentence in a "slow and distinct voice", but I'm not if we will keep that one or if we will use the stage directions here...I let Chuck decide this. Usually it is not done, but we only read what is written there. But it's good to have the option here :)

thanks

Sonia
You have such a keen ear! :shock:

Thanks Sonia!

And I probably won't use the "slow and distinct voice," but can obviously cut that out while editing.
Help Us Finish These Projects:
The Dream (Joanna Baillie)
The Book of American Negro Poetry (multiple authors)
The Vampire; or, The Bride of the Isles (J.R. Planché)

My computer died. Might be a little slow to respond.

gauguin
Posts: 42
Joined: March 8th, 2018, 3:32 pm

Post by gauguin » July 8th, 2018, 2:40 pm

Kitty wrote:
July 7th, 2018, 5:47 am
great job indeed Gauguin :) Jerome is a bit of an ambiguous character, I don't really know if I should like or dislike him. He is the one who puts all this into motion with his spreading of the dream. Sometimes he sounds genuinely concerned, and sometimes utterly fake. You convey that well.

I did find a few missing lines and errors though, which would need editing:

PL notes for Act 1:

> at about 2:13: (p. 105 bottom) missing lines: "Was it to a spot near the black monument in the stranger's burying vault, that it pointed ?"

> at about 3:41: (p. 107 middle) missing lines: "Are ye sure it is trumpets you hear ?"

> at 5:44: (p. 121 bottom): "on pain of falling victims to the pestilence" - I hear "pailing"

> at 6:45: (p. 123 top): "like that of a king, though habited more in the garb of a foreign soldier" - you say "thou", which changes the meaning

> at about 6:58: (p. 124 middle): missing OMNES lines: "Let us go immediately"

PL notes for Act 2:

> at about 0:05: (p. 127 middle): three missing OMNES lines:
> "The inscription - is there an inscription on it ?"
> "Break it open: - break it open."
> "What is there in it ? What hast thou found , Sexton ?"

> at about 0:41: (p. 128 middle): missing lines: "Come on, my lord, why do you stop short ?"

PL notes for Act 3:

> at 2:30: (p. 154 bottom): "to our blessed saint and martyr" - I hear "matter" :hmm:

> at 3:35-3:45 (p. 164 middle): nice touch to repeat the sentence in a "slow and distinct voice", but I'm not if we will keep that one or if we will use the stage directions here...I let Chuck decide this. Usually it is not done, but we only read what is written there. But it's good to have the option here :)

thanks

Sonia
Hi Sonia,
thank you for the careful listen.
To me Jerome is a bit of an arrogant, bookish guy, who is a bit full of himself and trying really hard to matter but cares little for the fate of the common people. I was tempted to read him sarcastically in the later phases of the play but then I gave him some capacity for empathy instead. May be in unlikely development for him but, oh well, we need the hope these days that people can evolve, right?

Thank you for the edits. I "fixed" them.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/dream_jerome_1_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/dream_jerome_2_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/dream_jerome_3_128kb.mp3

I am so sorry to rush you but could you check them soon. I am flying out tomorrow night and will be away from my equipment for a good while.

Thank you very much again for letting me participate.

Final question: what made you choose this play?

ChuckW
Posts: 2635
Joined: January 22nd, 2012, 7:47 am
Location: The Lonesome Crowded Midwest

Post by ChuckW » July 8th, 2018, 4:05 pm

gauguin wrote:
July 8th, 2018, 2:40 pm
Hi Sonia,
thank you for the careful listen.
To me Jerome is a bit of an arrogant, bookish guy, who is a bit full of himself and trying really hard to matter but cares little for the fate of the common people. I was tempted to read him sarcastically in the later phases of the play but then I gave him some capacity for empathy instead. May be in unlikely development for him but, oh well, we need the hope these days that people can evolve, right?

Thank you for the edits. I "fixed" them.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/dream_jerome_1_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/dream_jerome_2_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/dream_jerome_3_128kb.mp3

I am so sorry to rush you but could you check them soon. I am flying out tomorrow night and will be away from my equipment for a good while.

Thank you very much again for letting me participate.

Final question: what made you choose this play?
I assume Sonia is asleep right now, but I went ahead and did a quick spot PL... and you're now PL OK! Thank you so much for taking this role and recording it before you head out. I'm glad you were able to etch out the time to perform this character, who really came to life in your capable hands. :-)

As for why I decided to do this play... well, I'm in the middle of trying to get more of Joanna Baillie's plays into the catalogue right now. We did Orra recently, and I suspect I'll move on either to De Monfort or Witchcraft after this. I picked this play specifically because I'm generally more fond of Baillie's gothic dramas than her comedies, and this one is particularly strange and unsettling and surreal.
Help Us Finish These Projects:
The Dream (Joanna Baillie)
The Book of American Negro Poetry (multiple authors)
The Vampire; or, The Bride of the Isles (J.R. Planché)

My computer died. Might be a little slow to respond.

ChuckW
Posts: 2635
Joined: January 22nd, 2012, 7:47 am
Location: The Lonesome Crowded Midwest

Post by ChuckW » July 8th, 2018, 4:07 pm

And in the interest of getting this play done soon, I'm taking the role of Morand.
Help Us Finish These Projects:
The Dream (Joanna Baillie)
The Book of American Negro Poetry (multiple authors)
The Vampire; or, The Bride of the Isles (J.R. Planché)

My computer died. Might be a little slow to respond.

gauguin
Posts: 42
Joined: March 8th, 2018, 3:32 pm

Post by gauguin » July 8th, 2018, 4:08 pm

ChuckW wrote:
July 8th, 2018, 4:05 pm


I assume Sonia is asleep right now, but I went ahead and did a quick spot PL... and you're now PL OK! Thank you so much for taking this role and recording it before you head out. I'm glad you were able to etch out the time to perform this character, who really came to life in your capable hands. :-)

As for why I decided to do this play... well, I'm in the middle of trying to get more of Joanna Baillie's plays into the catalogue right now. We did Orra recently, and I suspect I'll move on either to De Monfort or Witchcraft after this. I picked this play specifically because I'm generally more fond of Baillie's gothic dramas than her comedies, and this one is particularly strange and unsettling and surreal.
I am glad you liked it. I hope my accent was not too distracting or perhaps even an asset for this role...
Yes, this was quite an interesting play. Great choice. Good luck with your future librivox projects. When I am back in September I will keep an eye out for them.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 12717
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » July 8th, 2018, 11:39 pm

ChuckW wrote:
July 8th, 2018, 4:05 pm
I assume Sonia is asleep right now, but I went ahead and did a quick spot PL... and you're now PL OK!
thank you for stepping in while I was asleep, Chuck :)

Sonia

gauguin
Posts: 42
Joined: March 8th, 2018, 3:32 pm

Post by gauguin » July 9th, 2018, 7:43 am

Kitty wrote:
July 8th, 2018, 11:39 pm
ChuckW wrote:
July 8th, 2018, 4:05 pm
I assume Sonia is asleep right now, but I went ahead and did a quick spot PL... and you're now PL OK!
thank you for stepping in while I was asleep, Chuck :)

Sonia
Can't wait to hear what Jerome will sound like against the Prior and Osterloo :D

ChuckW
Posts: 2635
Joined: January 22nd, 2012, 7:47 am
Location: The Lonesome Crowded Midwest

Post by ChuckW » July 9th, 2018, 10:42 am

gauguin wrote:
July 9th, 2018, 7:43 am
Kitty wrote:
July 8th, 2018, 11:39 pm
ChuckW wrote:
July 8th, 2018, 4:05 pm
I assume Sonia is asleep right now, but I went ahead and did a quick spot PL... and you're now PL OK!
thank you for stepping in while I was asleep, Chuck :)

Sonia
Can't wait to hear what Jerome will sound like against the Prior and Osterloo :D
I can't either! I loved your performance and am eager to hear the whole thing. :-)
Help Us Finish These Projects:
The Dream (Joanna Baillie)
The Book of American Negro Poetry (multiple authors)
The Vampire; or, The Bride of the Isles (J.R. Planché)

My computer died. Might be a little slow to respond.

ChuckW
Posts: 2635
Joined: January 22nd, 2012, 7:47 am
Location: The Lonesome Crowded Midwest

Post by ChuckW » July 9th, 2018, 10:43 am

Help Us Finish These Projects:
The Dream (Joanna Baillie)
The Book of American Negro Poetry (multiple authors)
The Vampire; or, The Bride of the Isles (J.R. Planché)

My computer died. Might be a little slow to respond.

Post Reply