COMPLETE[PLAY]Charley's Aunt by Brandon Thomas - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Second Act absolutely hilarious as well. :mrgreen: When you said: "I am a woman with a history." I thought "that must have been a gothic novel" :lol: The difference between the aunt persona, who is trying to be a bit coy sometimes, and then the gruff replies Fancourt switches to when he's himself make a really great contrast.

Almost perfect run-through this time, but:

> at 7:29: the very last sentence is a bit different for some reason. I wonder why ? :hmm:
LORD FANCOURT (coming c. to SPETTIGUE, unconsciously almost shaking his skirts). No, no. I can't, my things--my things- (Turns, meets ELA C.) - you only say "no I can't" and the rest is missing

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and the last act. I love the beautiful ending here, because they are all back at a more serious note, compared to the whole masquerade they were doing throughout the play. Fancourt even sounds more mature and wiser.

I rolled on the floor laughing when I heard: "Smoking? Oh, no! I like it." – :lol: wonderful, this complete falling out of character and having a very deep voice here, before catching himself and getting back to being a prim aunt :thumbs:

Unfortunately yet again, one single line missing :(

> at about 2:53: missing line: “And what did the man say?

Tomas, really, this has been a great performance, from first to last. Now of course we all want to see you in the woman's dress you were wearing to record this in character :mrgreen:

Sonia
SkipCorris

Post by SkipCorris »

May I read Jack Chesney, please?
Tom Daley
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Thank you, Sonia, for all the kind comments. :9: It was a great role to play, and I'm glad you think I did it justice. Sorry about all those missing lines, though. :oops: I had a feeling I had missed something, but with the formatting it was hard to tell.

I've added them to the files now, and they've been re-uploaded for spot PL.
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: May 16th, 2018, 12:42 pm Thank you, Sonia, for all the kind comments. :9: It was a great role to play, and I'm glad you think I did it justice. Sorry about all those missing lines, though. :oops: I had a feeling I had missed something, but with the formatting it was hard to tell.

I've added them to the files now, and they've been re-uploaded for spot PL.
thank you Tomas, everything perfect now (unless I missed some lines too LOL). All of Fancourt: PL ok. :thumbs:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

TomDaley wrote: May 16th, 2018, 11:57 am May I read Jack Chesney, please?
Tom Daley
Great, Tom, thank you for your interest. This will make our cast fully claimed. :9:

I see you haven't participated in a drama reading yet, so here are a few special notes on how to organize your recording. They are a bit different than for poetry or prose reading.

> no intro/outro required, the narrator will do that. Only read your voice credit at the beginning of your file. In your case, you would have to say "Jack Chesney, Graduate at St. Olde's College, Oxford, read by Tom Daley" (if this is the reader name you want to go by)

> between each "block" you have to read, meaning where someone else is interrupting your speech, please leave at least 2 or 3 seconds of silence. This is to ensure our editor has enough copy/paste room to cut the bits out and paste the in the masterfile. This includes parts where the narrator interrupts your speech (for example: "good-bye" [goes to door] "see you later". Here you would have to leave enough space as well between "good-bye" and "see".

> if the stage direction mention your state of mind or things like [chuckles], [whines] etc, it would be cool if you could convey these emotions a bit in your speech. In that case we can leave some of these directions out, and the play will not be interrupted so often by the narrator. :)

> it's a good idea to read a bit around your speeches what the other characters are saying, to get into the play and how your character should react to them. Other than that, have fun acting out, there is not really any limit set to over-acting :mrgreen:

Looking forward to your performance. If you have one act recorded, maybe you can upload it again and I can give you feedback already before you record the second act, if you wish.

Good luck :)

Sonia
SkipCorris

Post by SkipCorris »

Thanks, Sonia. I wondered how it worked for dramas.
Tom Daley
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Welcome aboard!

Thanks, Todd
SkipCorris

Post by SkipCorris »

Jack Chesney Act One reporting in. First time recording after enjoying O'Neill's Anna Christie recently. (It had been recorded several years ago, but I'm an O'Neill fan.)

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/charleysaunt_jackchesney_1_128kb.mp3

Time: 32:37

Tom Daley
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

TomDaley wrote: May 16th, 2018, 7:42 pm Jack Chesney Act One reporting in. First time recording after enjoying O'Neill's Anna Christie recently. (It had been recorded several years ago, but I'm an O'Neill fan.)
Tom, I am speechless :shock: This is your first time at drama ? You're a natural ! You've characterized Jack so perfectly as the college brat who'd do anything for a tête-à-tête with his girl. And all the emotions you put in this constant repetition of "My dear Kitty" :lol: excellent !

And this was such a huge act for your first endeavour. Wow, you can be proud of this. :thumbs: I really enjoyed every minute of this performance and I can so picture this will sound great assembled together. :9:

You did the best of digging out all of Jack's lines in this rather messy Gutenberg text, but I still found one part missing, sorry. Could you please record these two lines and insert them in the right spot and reupload once more ?

> at about 1:36: missing lines: “Now I can go ahead like a house on fire. (Looking proudly at letter.)" My Dear Kitty, I--"

thanks so much ! You're a wonderful addition to our cast and I seriously hope this won't be the last time you're in one of our plays. 8-)

Sonia
SkipCorris

Post by SkipCorris »

Take two, with insert. (At about 1:40, which differed from your 1:23. Perhaps because of my intro ID?)

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/charleysaunt_jackchesney_1_128kb.mp3

Time: 32:46
Thanks for the compliments, Sonia, but this is my first time recording drama. I have done quite a bit onstage (even directed a production of this play MANY years ago).

Tom Daley
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
SkipCorris

Post by SkipCorris »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

TomDaley wrote: May 17th, 2018, 6:50 pm Take two, with insert. (At about 1:40, which differed from your 1:23. Perhaps because of my intro ID?)
you didn't change the intro did you ? :hmm: anyway, I said "about 1:36" so that's pretty close to 1:40. It's at the correct spot, don't worry. :)

Thanks, Act 1 for Jack is now PL ok.
Thanks for the compliments, Sonia, but this is my first time recording drama. I have done quite a bit onstage (even directed a production of this play MANY years ago).
aha, so that's the secret ! You are very familiar with this play then. Well, I'm glad you managed to grab the last available spot :9: Did you also play a character in the play when you were directing ? If so, I would be interested which one :)

(Oh I'm happy that I pronounced Spettigue and Donna Lucia the way you did. So that was the way your group was saying it on stage, I suppose.)

Will PL your second act soon !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

TomDaley wrote: May 17th, 2018, 9:45 pm Jack Chesney Act Two
absolutely great job again, Tom :clap: you're endearingly desperate for most of the time here :lol: Poor Jack can't pour out his heart to Kitty.

My favourite sentence here was: "Well, dad--anything important?" :mrgreen: the tone of voice you're doing here is almost verging on a slight hysteria, it conveys excellently how Jack was feeling about the constant interruptions.

But also here...I have a few PL notes:

> at 7:40: “They mustn't meet till I've seen him.” – you say “them” if I’m not mistaken, but he only means Babbs here, so I think this would be worth changing to give better understanding

> at about 11:38: missing lines: “--unless--unless-

> at 15:30: “Well, keep cool, man, keep cool! We're all right up to now” – I think this can be cut, because you are repeating the lines once again, you can choose your preferred version. I'm guessing you want to go with the second version, because there the sentence is complete

Thanks, Tom, highly entertaining again.

Sonia