COMPLETE[PLAY]Charley's Aunt by Brandon Thomas - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Elizabby wrote: May 5th, 2018, 1:21 pmSince I'm adjusting my file anyway, what is the Portiugese pronunciation of "Donna Lucia"?
I was adhering to the stage directions which said: "NOTE: "Lucia" is pronounced "LOOSIA"--Portuguese, NOT Spanish." Also, usually you see it written with ú in Portuguese, so I figured it's stressed on the first syllable. And the 'cia' is not like an Italian "tcha" but more a 'sja'. You can listen to my voice credit, there I said it. :) But it is really up to you, since you were consistent throughout, yours could be the way Kitty is saying the name.

edit: just listened to Leanne and she also pronounces the name the Italian way, so both girls could well say it the same way. No need to change then, unless you really wish.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

:lol: yes, Leanne, she sounds like a spoilt young lady. Especially in her final outburst over her uncle's treatment. Well done.

I only found one missing sentence in Act 2, the rest was perfectly read and acted. Another problem though is the sampling and bitrate again. I wonder why your program is constantly switching back to the wrong settings :hmm: You always used to have the correct settings. Have you changed your program ? I also noticed in Act 1 the sound quality is much different, but maybe you were recording in another room there. The other two acts are back to the normal sound.

Anyway, could you reupload all three acts once more please:

for Act 1:
> bitrate needs to be 128 kbps constant
> sampling rate: 44,100 Hz

for Act 2:
> bitrate: 128 kbps constant
> at about 0:53: missing line: AMY (to KITTY). "Now it's your turn."

for Act 3:
> bitrate: 128 kbps constant

thank you

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you Leanne. All Acts are PL ok now.

Well: you changed the bitrate for Act 1 but the sample rate is still 48,000 Hz. :hmm: But I changed it in my Audacity now and will reupload for you ;) So you need not deal with it anymore.

Still...I hope you find what is causing your changes there as means extra work and uploads for you constantly. I don't know why 2 acts had the correct sampling rate and one didn't.

Sonia
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

Thanks sonia - how do you change the bitrate exactly? What I did was just changed the drop down menu in the track on Audacity, but when I export it never works...
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

leanneyauyau wrote: May 8th, 2018, 6:20 am Thanks sonia - how do you change the bitrate exactly? What I did was just changed the drop down menu in the track on Audacity, but when I export it never works...
well the bitrate was ok, it was the sample rate that was wrong.

So in Audacity, you can set the parametres here:

> go to Edit
> go to Preferences
> select "Quality" in the left menu
> Default Sample Rate: 44100 Hz (that's where you had 48,000)
> don't forget to press OK ;)

Sonia
becevka

Post by becevka »

Hey,

May I try to read for CHARLEY WYKEHAM?

Thanks
Wolfgang Bas
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

• 0:01-0:21 Inserted parts 1, 2, and 3 intro
  • Inserted a "read by" at 0:54
  • 1:16 cut Jack, Charley and Fancourt as ensemble
  • Inserted my own voice credit at 1:33
  • 7:06 (BRASSETT goes to door L.U.E.) / (Jack at letter again, savagely.)
  • 17:28[/b]: JACK. Half a dozen bottles! (R. of C. table.)
  • 25:50 LORD FANCOURT (C.)
  • 26:11-26:20 JACK (down R.) and LORD FANCOURT (C.).
  • 28:19 LORD FANCOURT (C).
  • 47:13 JACK (to CHARLEY)
  • 58:50 cut AMY and KITTY (together)
  • 1:08:01-1:08:06 AMY L. CHARLEY stands L., upper corner of C. table. KITTY top L.
  • 1:11:24 (JACK falls back a little.) (To girls.) - here we need to make clear with "Spettigue, to girls"
  • 1:15:18 (CHARLEY and AMY, JACK and KITTY seated as before.) (Offers L. arm to LORD FANCOURT.) - here we need to repeat "Sir Francis, offers left arm..."
  • 1:15:53-1:16:04 Inserted "End of..." parts 1, 2, and 3.
I just edited Act 1. Posting my notes now before I accidentally delete them. Will post link when it uploads.
Last edited by mightyfelix on May 12th, 2018, 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you so much, Devorah, and sorry for the big extra trouble. All these edits are excellently inserted. Thanks too for the time-stamps, that was tremendous help, especially in this long file. :9:

Act 1 PL ok now.

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Here is Lord Fancourt, aka Charley's aunt from Brazil, the one with the nuts:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/charleysaunt_fancourt_1_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/charleysaunt_fancourt_2_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/charleysaunt_fancourt_3_128kb.mp3

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping I didn't miss any lines, since the formatting of the script isn't too good. :? And I hope the performance is entertaining. I'm sure a lot of the comedy of this play derives from seeing my character in drag. Without that element, one has to try and compensate vocally. :lol:
Tomas Peter
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you. I eagerly await getting to listen to you!

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: May 15th, 2018, 12:21 pmHere is Lord Fancourt, aka Charley's aunt from Brazil, the one with the nuts:
this is SUBLIME :lol: I've only just listened to act 1 but it's absolutely a hoot. You managed to capture the character of Fancourt excellently. He isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer even if he would love to think so :mrgreen: And your Charley's-Aunt-version is wonderfully portrayed. I love it that you sometimes try to break out in an over-reactingly high voice but then can't keep that up for long. This is surely how Fancourt would have acted. It takes some excellent acting-qualities to play a person who doesn't display great acting-qualities :thumbs: Super well done, Tomas. I knew you'd be the perfect choice for this role.

You are right though...the script is not easy to handle and I found a few missing lines. Let's hope I didn't miss any :? Here is what I found for Act 1:

> at about 8:40: missing line: (Enter LORD FANCOURT, dressed as an old lady, L.U.E., in black satin, fichu, wig, cap, etc. Stands up L.C., smiling.) How's this? (Then walks down L., smiling benignly.)

> at about 10:58: missing line: LORD FANCOURT (to AMY, repeating). Sister's, you fool--(correcting himself) sister's (with aggressive look at JACK) and (to AMY) brother-in-law's orphan girl.

> at about 13:08: missing line (at least I think this is Fancourt saying this. It wouldn’t make sense that Spettigue said it, even though the stage directions are ambiguous here :hmm: ) : (SPETTIGUE puts on hat and exits L.I.E., angrily.) (Going up R. towards recess, calling to girls.) Oh, my dears! (Re-enter KITTY and AMY, followed by JACK and CHARLEY.)

the rest is perfect. Looking forward to the next two acts...stay tuned !

Sonia