COMPLETE[PLAY]Charley's Aunt by Brandon Thomas - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Well, I knew when I signed up for this that it was a bit heavy on the stage directions, but I have to say, I didn't have any idea just how heavy! So far, I have done two sessions of recording for this, I have over an hour of raw material, and I'm not even finished with act 1. :help:

I'm omitting some of the directions, like the ones that keep stating over and over where characters are standing, even though they obviously haven't moved. :roll: But I'm honestly hoping that most of these do end up being cut, because otherwise this play will be monstrously long. And many of the scenes will play so much better without me butting in all the time! :lol:
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

mightyfelix wrote: April 4th, 2018, 4:55 pm Well, I knew when I signed up for this that it was a bit heavy on the stage directions, but I have to say, I didn't have any idea just how heavy! So far, I have done two sessions of recording for this, I have over an hour of raw material, and I'm not even finished with act 1. :help:

I'm omitting some of the directions, like the ones that keep stating over and over where characters are standing, even though they obviously haven't moved. :roll: But I'm honestly hoping that most of these do end up being cut, because otherwise this play will be monstrously long. And many of the scenes will play so much better without me butting in all the time! :lol:
Thank you for recording directions even if you think they will get cut, becuz until I do the assembly I won't know what I have to use and what I can leave out.

Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Act 1 directions are a whopping 1:15:27. :shock: It was almost a full 2 hours before editing.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/charleysaunt_stagedir_1_128kb.mp3

Sorry, Sonia. Hope you have a comfy chair and something to drink while you PL. :lol: You may notice that I began to get more and more impatient with a few of the directions as the act drew on. Such as "Amy, standing next to Lord Fancourt," even though the very line previously told us that Lord Fancourt is holding her hand. :roll: If I need to add any of those back in, though, I can.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mightyfelix wrote: April 12th, 2018, 8:04 pm Act 1 directions are a whopping 1:15:27. :shock: It was almost a full 2 hours before editing.
:shock: this is crazy. The stage directions alone need to cut into two sections because of their length !
You may notice that I began to get more and more impatient with a few of the directions as the act drew on. Such as "Amy, standing next to Lord Fancourt," even though the very line previously told us that Lord Fancourt is holding her hand. :roll: If I need to add any of those back in, though, I can.
well it would be good if you read it all, because each quote you leave out I have to note down and this will give me a lot of extra work. Well, I'll see how far I get.

Thanks

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ok after over 2 exhausting hours...here's my verdict. First of all: huge job, Devorah, and I can fully understand that you were wearied out by the end of this ordeal. I am quite sure a lot of these will get cut. But still, it is very difficult for me and Todd to judge immediately now beforehand which parts may be necessary to sound good in the final play and which are superfluous. Therefore it would really have been better to include everything and let Todd play around with it in the end. :(

I now took some time to write down every part you forgot (or left out purposefully) and I agree, probably most are not needed, but still, sometimes something may be interesting to include. I made a list here, and I'll tentatively mark in red the things that would better be included. Todd can go over the list and tell you if he needs anything else. Please wait for his approval before you correct anything.

Again, it would be helpful if you could include them all in the next act. :oops:

> at 1:03-1:11: Jack, Charley and Fancourt as ensemble can be cut out. Anyway, I guess we get all the voice credits separately, but it's good to have a back-up just in case. For that it would have been good to have said "read by" as well behind each character. Maybe saying it once is enough, so Todd can cut and paste it, where needed. (I don't think it will be needed, but you never know)

> at 1:32: Stage directions, read by Devorah Allan - you should definitely include your own voice credit here !

> at 7:01: (BRASSETT goes to door L.U.E.) / (At letter again, savagely.) - here we need to have "Jack, at letter..." or else it will be the aforementioned Brassett doing the action

> at about 17:28: JACK. Half a dozen bottles! (R. of C. table.) - optional
> at about 24:45: LORD FANCOURT (C). - optional
> at 24:51: JACK (R., cheerily). - omitted "right" - optional
> at about 24:55: (CHARLEY L.) - optional

> at about 25:42: LORD FANCOURT (C.)
> at about 26:00: JACK (down R.) and LORD FANCOURT (C.).
> at about 27:55: LORD FANCOURT (C). - I think they want to convey how Charley and Jack gang up on all sides to Fancourt in the middle, so maybe Todd will include this, but not sure

> at about 40:47: (Both C.) - optional
> at about 41:46: (Going C.) - optional
> at about 46:29: JACK (c.). - optional

> at about 46:45: JACK (C., to CHARLEY). - at least we need to include "to Charley" here

> at 46:47: CHARLEY (comes down R. of JACK, C.; excited and anxious; gives telegram). - first part missing, maybe optional
> at about 47:13: JACK (in front of C. table). - optional
> at about 49:12: (CHARLEY, R. of LORD FANCOURT.) - optional
> at about 53:16: CHARLEY (L. side of him). - optional
> at 55:37: AMY (standing by LORD FANCOURT). - I agree that was a bit superfluous :lol: since he took his hand

> at 58:22: AMY AND KITTY (together). - this can actually be cut out, as Todd will simply merge the voices

> at about 1:01:06: SPETTIGUE (C.). - optional
> at about 1:03:28: CHARLEY (up L.). and JACK (up L.C.). - optional

> at 1:07:35: AMY L. CHARLEY stands L., upper corner of C. table. KITTY top L.) - maybe this is nice to include to see how they are standing again. I don't know how much Todd decides to paint the tableau on stage

> at about 1:10:50: SPETTIGUE (L.). - optional

> at 1:10:53: (JACK falls back a little.) (To girls.) - here we need to make clear with "Spettigue, to girls"

> at about 1:10:57: (CHARLEY up L. JACK R.C.) - optional
> at about 1:12:15: SIR FRANCIS (C.). - optional

> at 1:14:47: (CHARLEY and AMY, JACK and KITTY seated as before.) (Offers L. arm to LORD FANCOURT.) - here we need to repeat "Sir Francis, offers left arm..."

phew...now this was work for once :lol:

Sonia
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks, Sonia. Sorry to create extra work for you. I'll let this one lie for now and move on to Act 2, and to some of my other projects. I'll come back to make any needed changes later.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

mightyfelix wrote: April 13th, 2018, 7:28 am Thanks, Sonia. Sorry to create extra work for you. I'll let this one lie for now and move on to Act 2, and to some of my other projects. I'll come back to make any needed changes later.
I agree with Sonia's comments. And really is much easier to give me everything to play with when I edit - it is very hard to tell in advance what is required and what can be cut in the final files until I edit.

In addition, please, could you record - put in act 2 file would be fine - some additional opening and closing words:
Act 1, Part 1 of
End of Act 1, Part 1
Act 1, Part 2 of
End of Act 1, Part 2
Act 1, Part 3 of
End of Act 1, Part 3
And the same for Acts 2 and 3, please. I might have to break each of the acts into multiple files when I edit since 72 minutes is the limit.

Many thanks for all the hard work you have done here! (And by the way, it would not devastate me to have the stage directions in different acts read by different readers if this is all too much more than you expected.)

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: April 13th, 2018, 2:50 pm In addition, please, could you record - put in act 2 file would be fine - some additional opening and closing words:
And the same for Acts 2 and 3, please. I might have to break each of the acts into multiple files when I edit since 72 minutes is the limit.
I hope we don't need 3 parts for each act :shock:

Devorah, a good way of proceeding would be recording them all in one go in a separated Audacity file, then to start inserting each bit from the end, so the time stamps stay the same.

And if you really want to make my Spot PL job easier, could you please give me the new time stamps, where your corrected parts were inserted. Then I don't have to look like crazy to find them back because they will surely all be different. :?

Sonia
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Here's Kitty Verdun! I did my best with the "OMNES" lines, but as I used a search, let me know if I missed any! There's one line I've given you twice as I suspect a text error "We called upon you, but you hadn't arrived." The first version is as the text has it, the second has the bolded word inserted which I think makes more sense. I've also given you a couple of laughs where the script indicates, just in case.

I've given you two voice credits at the start of Act 1, because I couldn't remember if we were reading the character descriptions or not. Also, I think I've pronounced "Spettigue" differently from what we discussed...

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/charleysaunt_kittyverdun_1.mp3 (3:07)
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/charleysaunt_kittyverdun_2.mp3 (5:58)
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/charleysaunt_kittyverdun_3.mp3 (1:57)
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Great job on Kitty, Beth !!!! You pull out the entire flirty spiel here :lol: She's one to watch out for. I also loved the many girlish laughter you interspersed. I'm sure Todd will find a good use for them.
I did my best with the "OMNES" lines, but as I used a search, let me know if I missed any!
actually there is one ALL line you missed but apart from that, as far as I can see, everything is in and perfectly acted out.

I must say the text layout is giving me migraines each time I work on it. The only text that was even worse than this was The Schoolmistress disaster on Gutenberg and at least there we switched to archive soon enough :lol: Todd will surely remember my ordeal there. :? No such luck here, I'm afraid. Well I plod through it as best I can, and let's hope we didn't miss too much in the end.
There's one line I've given you twice as I suspect a text error "We called upon you, but you hadn't arrived."
yes I agree there is surely a "you" missing. Kitty wouldn't make such a blunt grammatical error, she's a well-bred young lady.
Also, I think I've pronounced "Spettigue" differently from what we discussed...
yes I was surprised by that. Well, Todd doesn't mind if people pronounce names differently as long as they stay consistent in their roles. You also pronounced Donna Lucia, the "Italian" way, even though she is actually Brazilian/Portuguese. No need to change though.

Acts 1 and 2 are PL ok.

One missing line in Act 3:

> at about 1:36: “ALL: A secret? Oh, really?
> also the volume is slightly under 86 dB, but that will be adjusted later on anyway

Thanks ! :)

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Since I'm adjusting my file anyway, what is the Portiugese pronunciation of "Donna Lucia"?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'll be getting back to this project very soon to make my edits to act 1 and start act 2.