COMPLETE[PLAY]Wappin' Wharf by Charles S. Brooks - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Well, I thought I might as well get Acts II and III in for you. They are much shorter than Patch's Act I lines. I did a final check and found a couple of missing lines at the end of Act II, so I think I've got them all this time. One can always hope, eh.

'Appy days!

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/wappinwharf_patch_2_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/wappinwharf_patch_3_128kb.mp3
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: April 16th, 2018, 7:14 am Maybe I should put something in the summary saying that the very interesting author's comments are in the intro section 0, but if you want to get right to the pirates and the blood, then go to act 1. If I do that, I'll move the cast list to the Act 1 file as well.
yes this would be an idea. Although one could still leave the Cast credits in section 0. Naming it: Dramatis Personae and Introduction, for example.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Whew! I assembled most of Act 1 - and it is over an hour! I think to fit within our 72 minute limit I am going to have to cut it into two halves - though I will try to prevent that if I can. (I may have gaps bigger than I need for the parts I didn't place yet, or parts in series that eventually I will stack up to be simultaneous.)

(Sonia - could you please record "Act 1, Part 1 of", "End of Act 1, Part 1", "Act 1, Part 2 of", and "End of Act 1, Part 2" just in case?)

By the way, when I assemble, I normally only listen to a few words at the beginning and end of each line to make sure I am putting things in their proper places. But this time I just had to listen to more becuz you all sound so great! Arrg, yo be wonderful dreadful pirates all! (Except of course the lovely Betsy.)

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

silverquill wrote: April 16th, 2018, 8:43 amWell, I thought I might as well get Acts II and III in for you. They are much shorter than Patch's Act I lines. I did a final check and found a couple of missing lines at the end of Act II, so I think I've got them all this time. One can always hope, eh.
hehe, sorry, I still found some missing lines ;) I blame it on the eyepatch, definitely.

I loved when Patch was constantly egging on the Captain to deal with Joe, but he himself was keeping his safe distance :lol: And I agree with Todd, you all sound great as pirate gang.

Well, here are my notes:

for Act 2:

> at about 0:27: missing line: “Darlin' loves yer, Duke.”

> at about 3:09: missing line (Captain and Patch together): “What did yer see?

> at about 5:50: missing lines: [the pirates all together. You hear the voices of the pirates singing in the distance.]
I agrees ter this and ter give 'em bliss—
From Pew I learned the trick—
I push 'em wide o' the wessel's side,
And poke 'em down with a stick.

In fact I noticed this only just now… Leanne also missed those lines and I didn’t catch them, sorry. :oops: I need to be more careful with the singing, as the character doing it is not highlighted precisely. :?

Although, Todd, I wonder how easy or comprehensible it will be to merge 3 voices for a really big text, but maybe you’ll pick a line for each of them. Even though, I shouldn’t underestimate your merging qualities. I have sent a PM to Leanne to ask if she could insert hers as well. It would be at about 5:24 in Act 2 for the Captain

for Act 3:

> at 2:33: "I takes it mighty kind o' you, Captain. Yer has alers been a lovin' father ter me. Joey, I 'll tell yer what yer are." – you should make a pause before Joey (there is a full stop). Joe belongs to the next sentence, because Patch means that the Captain is like a father to him, not Joe. But you make it sound as if he meant Joe.

Thanks, Larry, super job !

Sonia
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

silverquill wrote: April 17th, 2018, 10:23 pm Here are the patches for ole Patch.
and excellent patches they are :thumbs: all PL ok now. You can remove your eyepatch now and become an honourable citizen again. :mrgreen:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: April 16th, 2018, 6:01 pm Whew! I assembled most of Act 1 - and it is over an hour! I think to fit within our 72 minute limit I am going to have to cut it into two halves - though I will try to prevent that if I can.
:shock: that long ?! It's probably because of the lengthy intro...
Sonia - could you please record "Act 1, Part 1 of", "End of Act 1, Part 1", "Act 1, Part 2 of", and "End of Act 1, Part 2" just in case?
yes I can do that this evening :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Todd, here are alternative versions for the intro of Act 1. I tried to speak them with the same pirate-oomph I used before, so it doesn't sound too patched in. :? I was wondering if we need it for acts 2 and 3 as well, but will wait until you tell me so.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/wappinwharf_alternative_opening_1_128kb.mp3

I'll put them in the MW underneath Act 1 :)

Sonia
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you Leanne ! Excellent lines ! All PL ok now. (unless I find something else I missed :oops: but let's hope not)

Todd, I'm creating an extra section for these lines in the MW.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
benderca

Post by benderca »

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

benderca wrote: April 25th, 2018, 6:05 pm I'm lovin' yer all!
Darlin' Act 1:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/wappinwharf_darlin_1_128kb.mp3
great job, TJ. Darlin' is the kind-hearted pirate's moll to them all. 8-) Loved your interpretation and the sound of your voice. :9: Nothing missing as far as I can see. I'd only like to suggest one word-change, if I may:

> at 0:23: “Ain 't he a figger o' a man? Wenus was nothin'. Jest nothin' at all.” – you interpret this as “when I was nothing”, which I don't think makes much sense. Actually I think she wants to make a comparison to the goddess Venus to say how beautiful he is. So maybe “Wueenus” would be more to the point here :hmm: What do you think ?

Sonia
benderca

Post by benderca »

Kitty wrote: April 26th, 2018, 12:33 am
benderca wrote: April 25th, 2018, 6:05 pm I'm lovin' yer all!
Darlin' Act 1:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/wappinwharf_darlin_1_128kb.mp3
great job, TJ. Darlin' is the kind-hearted pirate's moll to them all. 8-) Loved your interpretation and the sound of your voice. :9: Nothing missing as far as I can see. I'd only like to suggest one word-change, if I may:

> at 0:23: “Ain 't he a figger o' a man? Wenus was nothin'. Jest nothin' at all.” – you interpret this as “when I was nothing”, which I don't think makes much sense. Actually I think she wants to make a comparison to the goddess Venus to say how beautiful he is. So maybe “Wueenus” would be more to the point here :hmm: What do you think ?

Sonia
Thanks, Sonia!

I interpreted that line to be "when IT was nothing, nothing at all" -- meaning what I did for Duke was nothing (no big deal -just mixing grog), yet he complimented me so nicely ("There 's no one like Darlin' fer mixin' grog").

But then "she looks at him with admiration" and says, "Ain 't he a figger o' a man? Wenus was nothin'. Jest nothin' at all." So she could be talking about his beauty. And Darlin' does pronounce her Vs as Ws (as in "wampire"), so you're probably right.