COMPLETE[PLAY]Wappin' Wharf by Charles S. Brooks - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I used to think 72 minutes is the limit for a CD. I see from a web search that maybe the limit is actually 74, and that other new methods allow even longer - but we want to stay in the easy-to-use realm for folks that need to make CDs from our projects cuz they don't have mp3 players in their cars.

Thanks, Todd
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

You young whippersnappers and your CDs and MP3 players.

Let me tell you, back in the day, when we wanted to download a Librivox play’s Act, we had to do it on cassette-tape.

And sometimes, we didn’t even have tape.

I once delivered an entire performance of the Parlourmaid role using nothing but black vinyl.

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Frightening!

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: April 29th, 2018, 8:50 am Cast List and Intro ready for final PL. I added in cast list, and also added the text on the Naming of the Play. Also corrected file name.
Introduction totally PL ok. I only listened to the cast list and the naming of the title, assuming that you made no changes in the first part, which I already PLed before, is that correct ?

I'm glad you included this part, it was HIGHLY FUNNY !!! I giggled my way through the name suggestions. Only two highlights, as an example:

"I once knew an excellent couple of the name of Bottom, who chose Ruby for their offspring"

"The Pirates' Nest! It is too ornithological. The Natural History Museum might buy a copy and think I had cheated them."

priceless :lol: those sentences alone made the whole chapter worth-while !

Great job, Todd. Now looking forward to the first act... which will take me a little while.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: April 29th, 2018, 11:15 amAct 1 ready for final PL. 26 seconds short of having to break into two sections!
brilliantly pirate-rompingly good :9: :thumbs: the different temperaments of our diverse ruffians are really an excellent combination. Wonderfully assembled, Todd. No errors found, nothing missing. And luckily it fits into one section. PL ok, no doubt.

If I had to mention something, it's that Leanne is sometimes a bit low on volume, especially when she speaks after Chris. But it's still loud enough to understand, so I don't think it needs to be corrected.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Ah. Higher pitched voices sound louder to me. Is it bad enough for me to amplify her part throughout?

Thanks, Todd
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

ToddHW wrote: April 30th, 2018, 4:05 pm Higher pitched voices sound louder to me.
Dulcet Duke, huh?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: April 30th, 2018, 4:05 pm Ah. Higher pitched voices sound louder to me. Is it bad enough for me to amplify her part throughout?
hmm would that be even feasible now after mixing them all ? :hmm: And no, most of her parts are loud enough, it was only a few. For example, I went back and picked out two where it was really noticeable:

1:06:51 (the Duke very loud) and 1:06:52 (Captain very low)
1:07:17 (Captain loud) and 1:07:18 (Captain low)

But now that I listened to it without earphones, I must say it's really not that bad. With earphones I had to listen to those parts with the sound turned down because of the very loud parts and then the other parts were barely a whisper. But listening to them louder now with my ears it's better understandable.

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: May 1st, 2018, 2:05 am Too loud?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U54pAWlwT_g
ah so that was your role model :lol:

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: May 1st, 2018, 1:43 am
ToddHW wrote: April 30th, 2018, 4:05 pm Ah. Higher pitched voices sound louder to me. Is it bad enough for me to amplify her part throughout?
hmm would that be even feasible now after mixing them all ? :hmm: And no, most of her parts are loud enough, it was only a few. For example, I went back and picked out two where it was really noticeable:

1:06:51 (the Duke very loud) and 1:06:52 (Captain very low)
1:07:17 (Captain loud) and 1:07:18 (Captain low)

But now that I listened to it without earphones, I must say it's really not that bad. With earphones I had to listen to those parts with the sound turned down because of the very loud parts and then the other parts were barely a whisper. But listening to them louder now with my ears it's better understandable.

Sonia
My master file is in Audacity so it is still easy to edit - it only gets mixed together when I export. Based on your examples above (which I changed as you suggest), I also increased the volume at approximately
53:20
54:10
54:30
55:45
57:08
1:02:15
1:05:53

Please also spot PL the stacked groups at 57:55 and 1:08:20 - I softened the entire main track a dB and a half throughout to better fit the desired overall output volume (a check I originally forgot to do), and need to check that the group balance didn't change for the worse in these two spots.

I have also made similar changes in the Act 2 draft file so when I finish that after final parts are in you'll only have to PL it once!

Many many thanks! (You pirates have it easy - Kitty has to listen to you over and over again! A pleasure once, but twice? Thrice?)

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: May 1st, 2018, 4:10 am My master file is in Audacity so it is still easy to edit - it only gets mixed together when I export. Based on your examples above (which I changed as you suggest), I also increased the volume at approximately
53:20
54:10
54:30
55:45
57:08
1:02:15
1:05:53

Please also spot PL the stacked groups at 57:55 and 1:08:20 - I softened the entire main track a dB and a half throughout to better fit the desired overall output volume (a check I originally forgot to do), and need to check that the group balance didn't change for the worse in these two spots.
all right, Spot checked them all and yes, the volume is much better this way. :thumbs:
(You pirates have it easy - Kitty has to listen to you over and over again! A pleasure once, but twice? Thrice?)
:lol: you make it sound like I am sitting in a time-loop. But I really love my job here, and it is a pleasure listening to ye all giving your best to make each performance so memorable. :9: And listening to the final assembled act, trying to find suggestions for improvement is absolutely enjoyable. Not that you need much improvement, Todd, you're really excelling at this. I'm only giving my two-cents worth so I'm earning my keep. :mrgreen:

Sonia
benderca

Post by benderca »

...and here's everybody's favorite darlin', back to sing (chant) her way through Act 2:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/wappinwharf_darlin_2_128kb.mp3
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

benderca wrote: May 10th, 2018, 7:38 am ...and here's everybody's favorite darlin', back to sing (chant) her way through Act 2:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/wappinwharf_darlin_2_128kb.mp3
Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

benderca wrote: May 10th, 2018, 7:38 am ...and here's everybody's favorite darlin', back to sing (chant) her way through Act 2:
8-) excellent sing-song you're doing throughout this act, TJ. :thumbs: Darlin' is a diamond in the rough, but somehow lovable. I like her character, even though she wouldn't blink an eye if the Duke chucked Joe off a cliff :lol:

Only one note:

> from 0:29-0:58: “On the Strand….etc ”: sorry, this stanza is sung by Patch-Eye :( this can be cut out

thanks

Sonia