COMPLETE[PLAY]Wappin' Wharf by Charles S. Brooks - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Kitty wrote: February 17th, 2018, 1:51 pm who was twisting your arm, Devorah ? Tell me and I make him walk the plank. It was Chris wasn't it ? :twisted:
You know, I don't rightly recall. So many of my past memories are very faint, you understand... But I remember there was a smell... Such an awful smell, you can't imagine! And something about them wasn't quite symmetrical. Was it only one eye that they had? Or one hand? Or maybe it was only one leg or one tooth...
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

mightyfelix wrote: February 17th, 2018, 9:12 pm
Kitty wrote: February 17th, 2018, 1:51 pm who was twisting your arm, Devorah ? Tell me and I make him walk the plank. It was Chris wasn't it ? :twisted:
You know, I don't rightly recall. So many of my past memories are very faint, you understand... But I remember there was a smell... Such an awful smell, you can't imagine! And something about them wasn't quite symmetrical. Was it only one eye that they had? Or one hand? Or maybe it was only one leg or one tooth...
Yore shoew :mrgreen: yore dint hear the tickin', ticken' o' that ole clock now, didya?

Reminds me I did have a wee part in another LV play ---- Peter Pan, as the frightful Cap'n Cook. Loads of fun.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I just noticed that the MW says not to sing. I don't get to sing? That was half the appeal! :cry: Puh-puh-puh-please????
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

“Was it only one eye that they had? Or one hand? Or maybe it was only one leg or one tooth...”

That two-legged, two-armed Red Joe is such a rookie.
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mightyfelix wrote: February 17th, 2018, 9:12 pmYou know, I don't rightly recall. So many of my past memories are very faint, you understand... But I remember there was a smell... Such an awful smell, you can't imagine! And something about them wasn't quite symmetrical. Was it only one eye that they had? Or one hand? Or maybe it was only one leg or one tooth...
:lol: you just described the whole gang....sorry but I can't make the whole team walk the plank, or I would kill off the entire troupe. :?
I just noticed that the MW says not to sing. I don't get to sing? That was half the appeal! :cry: Puh-puh-puh-please????
I think Todd didn't want to turn this into a musical. But better wait for his final verdict in this matter ;)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: February 17th, 2018, 8:37 pmYes, enough of that freaky Luxembourg absinthe that “Psychodelic Psonia” has been passing around the troupe of late. :mrgreen:
you never complained before, Chris :mrgreen:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: February 17th, 2018, 4:41 pmAh, another perfect PL OK reading. There is devilry afoot here, treachery, and maybe even romance. What a story! I wonder if this guy wrote any more plays? Or even any other books?
thank you Todd, and yes, his writing is extremely funny. I like the fact that he is constantly breaking the fourth wall here and meddling in the play. (Hang me up that moon, please ! :lol: )

Well Gutenberg still has 4 more, but no stage plays. http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/3268

But ! I struck gold in archive.org. (well, at least one nugget) There's this promising book called Frightful Plays and it not only has Wappin' Wharf but also "At the sign of the greasy pig" a frightful comedy of BEGGARS. So after our pirates have done their job, they can well don the rags and play some beggars in the next play. :mrgreen:

https://archive.org/details/frightfulplays01broo

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

mightyfelix wrote: February 17th, 2018, 9:28 pm I just noticed that the MW says not to sing. I don't get to sing? That was half the appeal! :cry: Puh-puh-puh-please????
I know, I know, I joined Librivox partly so I could sing in a version of Pirates of Penzance that was running back then. But it is so hard to edit together the musical bits - that version of pirates is among the longest running Librivox projects ever - 5.5 years. And my hearing has deteriorated such that I can't do the ensemble music editing myself. So, I'm sorry, but please don't sing.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: February 18th, 2018, 2:05 am
ToddHW wrote: February 17th, 2018, 4:41 pmAh, another perfect PL OK reading. There is devilry afoot here, treachery, and maybe even romance. What a story! I wonder if this guy wrote any more plays? Or even any other books?
thank you Todd, and yes, his writing is extremely funny. I like the fact that he is constantly breaking the fourth wall here and meddling in the play. (Hang me up that moon, please ! :lol: )

Well Gutenberg still has 4 more, but no stage plays. http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/3268

But ! I struck gold in archive.org. (well, at least one nugget) There's this promising book called Frightful Plays and it not only has Wappin' Wharf but also "At the sign of the greasy pig" a frightful comedy of BEGGARS. So after our pirates have done their job, they can well don the rags and play some beggars in the next play. :mrgreen:

https://archive.org/details/frightfulplays01broo

Sonia
I will check it out!

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

And here is the final Act for narration. I noticed each act was only half the previous. Good thing it came to an end now :lol:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/wappinwharf_narrator_3_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 8:51 min.

Waiting for instructions on Introduction and then it will DPL all the way till the end.
edit: I just noticed the instructions in the MW. Working on it !

Sonia
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

Since it's the only role left, may I claim th eCaptain?
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

leanneyauyau wrote: February 18th, 2018, 5:27 amSince it's the only role left, may I claim th eCaptain?
great we have our captain, and that makes the play Fully Claimed already :9: Thank you Leanne.

And Todd, here are the Dramatis Personae :) (which probably will be cut out anyway :lol: ) But I gave it my best.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/wappinwharf_narrator_0_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 1:08min.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

And the rest of the narration is also perfect. Maybe DPL is "Devilishly Precise Language"?

Great story - I am going to prep "At The Sign of The Greedy Pig" to follow this play. But my signature line is filled up, so ye'all better finish some of those other plays I have listed there first!

Thanks, Todd
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

Le silence va plus vite à reculons.

https://librivox.org/reader/11772
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thanks.

Todd