COMPLETE[PLAY]Wappin' Wharf by Charles S. Brooks - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
mightyfelix
Posts: 2262
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » February 17th, 2018, 9:12 pm

Kitty wrote:
February 17th, 2018, 1:51 pm
who was twisting your arm, Devorah ? Tell me and I make him walk the plank. It was Chris wasn't it ? :twisted:
You know, I don't rightly recall. So many of my past memories are very faint, you understand... But I remember there was a smell... Such an awful smell, you can't imagine! And something about them wasn't quite symmetrical. Was it only one eye that they had? Or one hand? Or maybe it was only one leg or one tooth...
Devorah Allen

Journal of Francis Asbury Traveling preacher, America
The Crook in the Lot Faith in the midst of trials
20th C. Negro Lit. Essays on African American issues
Insect Adventures Children NF
Faces in the Fire Essays on Faith

silverquill
Posts: 7347
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Reading, Massachusetts USA

Post by silverquill » February 17th, 2018, 9:26 pm

mightyfelix wrote:
February 17th, 2018, 9:12 pm
Kitty wrote:
February 17th, 2018, 1:51 pm
who was twisting your arm, Devorah ? Tell me and I make him walk the plank. It was Chris wasn't it ? :twisted:
You know, I don't rightly recall. So many of my past memories are very faint, you understand... But I remember there was a smell... Such an awful smell, you can't imagine! And something about them wasn't quite symmetrical. Was it only one eye that they had? Or one hand? Or maybe it was only one leg or one tooth...
Yore shoew :mrgreen: yore dint hear the tickin', ticken' o' that ole clock now, didya?

Reminds me I did have a wee part in another LV play ---- Peter Pan, as the frightful Cap'n Cook. Loads of fun.

mightyfelix
Posts: 2262
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » February 17th, 2018, 9:28 pm

I just noticed that the MW says not to sing. I don't get to sing? That was half the appeal! :cry: Puh-puh-puh-please????
Devorah Allen

Journal of Francis Asbury Traveling preacher, America
The Crook in the Lot Faith in the midst of trials
20th C. Negro Lit. Essays on African American issues
Insect Adventures Children NF
Faces in the Fire Essays on Faith

SonOfTheExiles
Posts: 1091
Joined: December 20th, 2013, 1:14 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Post by SonOfTheExiles » February 18th, 2018, 12:59 am

“Was it only one eye that they had? Or one hand? Or maybe it was only one leg or one tooth...”

That two-legged, two-armed Red Joe is such a rookie.
"Sorry, my tongue got in the way of my eye-tooth, and I couldn't see what I was saying..."
_________________
My LV catalogue page
Son of the Exiles YouTube Channel

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 12750
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » February 18th, 2018, 1:54 am

mightyfelix wrote:
February 17th, 2018, 9:12 pm
You know, I don't rightly recall. So many of my past memories are very faint, you understand... But I remember there was a smell... Such an awful smell, you can't imagine! And something about them wasn't quite symmetrical. Was it only one eye that they had? Or one hand? Or maybe it was only one leg or one tooth...
:lol: you just described the whole gang....sorry but I can't make the whole team walk the plank, or I would kill off the entire troupe. :?
I just noticed that the MW says not to sing. I don't get to sing? That was half the appeal! :cry: Puh-puh-puh-please????
I think Todd didn't want to turn this into a musical. But better wait for his final verdict in this matter ;)

Sonia

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 12750
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » February 18th, 2018, 1:56 am

SonOfTheExiles wrote:
February 17th, 2018, 8:37 pm
Yes, enough of that freaky Luxembourg absinthe that “Psychodelic Psonia” has been passing around the troupe of late. :mrgreen:
you never complained before, Chris :mrgreen:

Sonia

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 12750
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » February 18th, 2018, 2:05 am

ToddHW wrote:
February 17th, 2018, 4:41 pm
Ah, another perfect PL OK reading. There is devilry afoot here, treachery, and maybe even romance. What a story! I wonder if this guy wrote any more plays? Or even any other books?
thank you Todd, and yes, his writing is extremely funny. I like the fact that he is constantly breaking the fourth wall here and meddling in the play. (Hang me up that moon, please ! :lol: )

Well Gutenberg still has 4 more, but no stage plays. http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/3268

But ! I struck gold in archive.org. (well, at least one nugget) There's this promising book called Frightful Plays and it not only has Wappin' Wharf but also "At the sign of the greasy pig" a frightful comedy of BEGGARS. So after our pirates have done their job, they can well don the rags and play some beggars in the next play. :mrgreen:

https://archive.org/details/frightfulplays01broo

Sonia

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 7196
Joined: August 14th, 2011, 4:24 am
Contact:

Post by ToddHW » February 18th, 2018, 5:20 am

mightyfelix wrote:
February 17th, 2018, 9:28 pm
I just noticed that the MW says not to sing. I don't get to sing? That was half the appeal! :cry: Puh-puh-puh-please????
I know, I know, I joined Librivox partly so I could sing in a version of Pirates of Penzance that was running back then. But it is so hard to edit together the musical bits - that version of pirates is among the longest running Librivox projects ever - 5.5 years. And my hearing has deteriorated such that I can't do the ensemble music editing myself. So, I'm sorry, but please don't sing.

Thanks, Todd

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 7196
Joined: August 14th, 2011, 4:24 am
Contact:

Post by ToddHW » February 18th, 2018, 5:21 am

Kitty wrote:
February 18th, 2018, 2:05 am
ToddHW wrote:
February 17th, 2018, 4:41 pm
Ah, another perfect PL OK reading. There is devilry afoot here, treachery, and maybe even romance. What a story! I wonder if this guy wrote any more plays? Or even any other books?
thank you Todd, and yes, his writing is extremely funny. I like the fact that he is constantly breaking the fourth wall here and meddling in the play. (Hang me up that moon, please ! :lol: )

Well Gutenberg still has 4 more, but no stage plays. http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/3268

But ! I struck gold in archive.org. (well, at least one nugget) There's this promising book called Frightful Plays and it not only has Wappin' Wharf but also "At the sign of the greasy pig" a frightful comedy of BEGGARS. So after our pirates have done their job, they can well don the rags and play some beggars in the next play. :mrgreen:

https://archive.org/details/frightfulplays01broo

Sonia
I will check it out!

Thanks, Todd

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 12750
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » February 18th, 2018, 5:23 am

And here is the final Act for narration. I noticed each act was only half the previous. Good thing it came to an end now :lol:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/wappinwharf_narrator_3_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 8:51 min.

Waiting for instructions on Introduction and then it will DPL all the way till the end.
edit: I just noticed the instructions in the MW. Working on it !

Sonia

leanneyauyau
Posts: 577
Joined: January 31st, 2016, 12:33 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Post by leanneyauyau » February 18th, 2018, 5:27 am

Since it's the only role left, may I claim th eCaptain?
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :D
my librivox page | website | fb page | soundcloud

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 12750
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » February 18th, 2018, 5:37 am

leanneyauyau wrote:
February 18th, 2018, 5:27 am
Since it's the only role left, may I claim th eCaptain?
great we have our captain, and that makes the play Fully Claimed already :9: Thank you Leanne.

And Todd, here are the Dramatis Personae :) (which probably will be cut out anyway :lol: ) But I gave it my best.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/wappinwharf_narrator_0_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 1:08min.

Sonia

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 7196
Joined: August 14th, 2011, 4:24 am
Contact:

Post by ToddHW » February 18th, 2018, 6:11 am

And the rest of the narration is also perfect. Maybe DPL is "Devilishly Precise Language"?

Great story - I am going to prep "At The Sign of The Greedy Pig" to follow this play. But my signature line is filled up, so ye'all better finish some of those other plays I have listed there first!

Thanks, Todd

Ealswythe
Posts: 728
Joined: June 19th, 2017, 4:35 pm
Location: Los Angeles, by way of New York City

Post by Ealswythe » February 27th, 2018, 4:18 pm

Le silence va plus vite à reculons.

https://librivox.org/reader/11772

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 7196
Joined: August 14th, 2011, 4:24 am
Contact:

Post by ToddHW » February 27th, 2018, 4:27 pm

Thanks.

Todd

Post Reply