COMPLETE[PLAYS]One Act Play Collection 011-thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

I'd like to claim the role of Peter Prig. (Should be an interesting stretch).

Many thanks,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

oh :shock: a lot has happened here ! I updated the MW just now, and I hope I didn't miss anything. If each of the BCs could check their respective plays, and let me know if I missed anything, that would be helpful. :)

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Foon

Post by Foon »

All good for mine :thumbs:
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
Carmelea

Post by Carmelea »

Hello, it appears that the role of Enid Birdsall--"the girl who wants to have a bridge built"--is open. May I read her? I have read chapters for Librivox before; this would be my first time collaborating on recording a play. Guidance on doing so is welcome. :)
“The universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.” ~ Eden Phillpotts
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Carmelea wrote: August 19th, 2018, 7:14 am Hello, it appears that the role of Enid Birdsall--"the girl who wants to have a bridge built"--is open. May I read her? I have read chapters for Librivox before; this would be my first time collaborating on recording a play. Guidance on doing so is welcome. :)
great, Carmen :9: you are having your stage debut !!! A few days ago I wrote the special drama instructions out to another new member of the troupe, so to save myself time, here is the link: viewtopic.php?p=1497148#p1497148

You can find all the details for recording drama here.

Most important: have fun !!!

Sonia
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Kitty wrote: August 19th, 2018, 7:45 am
Carmelea wrote: August 19th, 2018, 7:14 am Hello, it appears that the role of Enid Birdsall--"the girl who wants to have a bridge built"--is open. May I read her? I have read chapters for Librivox before; this would be my first time collaborating on recording a play. Guidance on doing so is welcome. :)
great, Carmen :9: you are having your stage debut !!! A few days ago I wrote the special drama instructions out to another new member of the troupe, so to save myself time, here is the link: viewtopic.php?p=1497148#p1497148

You can find all the details for recording drama here.

Most important: have fun !!!

Sonia
Thanks Carmen!
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
GypsySon

Post by GypsySon »

I would like to claim part 49. Harrold Officer of the Food Trust.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

GypsySon wrote: August 24th, 2018, 3:34 pm I would like to claim part 49. Harrold Officer of the Food Trust.
Welcome! I would love to have you read for Harold. I see that your one minute test hasn't been checked yet. If no one has gotten to it before I get there, I'll check it myself when I get home.

As for these dramatic readings, let me tell you first that they are a ton of fun! When you record, you'll need to leave a good amount of space (3-5 seconds) between each line, including things like if your line is interrupted by stage directions. Later, when your recording is cut together with the other characters, this space will be very helpful to the editor (in this case, me). :)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

GypsySon wrote: August 24th, 2018, 3:34 pm I would like to claim part 49. Harrold Officer of the Food Trust.
Ok, I just went and gave you some feedback on your 1-minute test. Check it out. Let me know if you have any questions. I look forward to hearing your characterization of Harold!
GypsySon

Post by GypsySon »

mightyfelix wrote: August 24th, 2018, 8:36 pm
Ok, I just went and gave you some feedback on your 1-minute test. Check it out. Let me know if you have any questions. I look forward to hearing your characterization of Harold!
I did get the checker, what a handy tool indeed. Also thanks for the feedback. i have since been using the checker, along with the audacity noise reduction, which does make a huge difference. I also wrapped some toilet paper around my headset mic which seems to have helped. Recordings are coming out much better. Thanks again for the feedback. Also this play is hilarious. Quick question, you get to use sound effects at all, or limited to notes only?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

GypsySon wrote: August 24th, 2018, 8:57 pm Quick question, you get to use sound effects at all, or limited to notes only?
Great question! If you mean things like chuckles, sneezes, throat clearings, and other kind of vocal things, those would be awesome! I've even included things like a finger snap or a knock on occasion. (One time in a play I coordinated, a character was eating on stage, and I'm pretty sure the reader actually was recording with his mouth full!) But if you mean things like bells and whistles, or sound effects produced by a computer, I'd say no. If in doubt, go ahead and include it, and if I think I can use it, I will.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I'll sign you up for the role, thanks.

And concerning the sound effect, I second what Devorah said previously. Everything you can characterize with your voice, like a chuckle or a cough is welcome in drama. Much more elaborate things like background music, thunderclaps, church bells or such is not allowed. If we take such effects from the internet it is too complicated due to possible copyright problems, so we avoid it all from the start.

Have fun with your first role ! :)

Sonia
wordwork2

Post by wordwork2 »

Hello!

I would like to claim the role of Mrs. Maynard (section 83) of the play Biscuits and Bills by O.B. DuBois.

Can I record all her speeches in one file? How much silence do I have to leave between her speeches?

This is the first time I am recording a play.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

wordwork2 wrote: August 25th, 2018, 3:13 amI would like to claim the role of Mrs. Maynard (section 83) of the play Biscuits and Bills by O.B. DuBois.
hi there :) welcome to the drama fun. Choosing a comedy as first play is probably a good idea. I hope you enjoy.
Can I record all her speeches in one file? How much silence do I have to leave between her speeches?
ah yes, thanks for asking, there are a few specifics for drama:

> you need to record a voice credit at the beginning of the file, in your case now: "Mrs Maynard, read by wordwork2" (well, the reader name you choose for yourself)

> browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. As Mrs Maynard is quite a big role I think, it is helpful to read the whole play, well at least the few scenes around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. And the more expressive, the better of course.

> concerning spaces, yes, very important: preferably 2-3 seconds. Even when you have stage directions in the middle of your speech , like [sits down] or something, also leave 2 seconds of pause there, because the editor has to copy all your parts and paste them in a master file and it's helpful if she has enough space to fiddle with and copy/paste it all

> yes all of her speech in one file please. Usually in drama it's one file per act, but in this case it is only one act, so one file will be enough

have fun :)

Sonia
Foon

Post by Foon »

wordwork2 wrote: August 25th, 2018, 3:13 am Hello!

I would like to claim the role of Mrs. Maynard (section 83) of the play Biscuits and Bills by O.B. DuBois.

Wonderful, you're very welcome to read that part! I see Sonia already gave some helpful advice.

I look forward to hearing your take on the role! :D
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian