COMPLETE Rollo's Wild Oat by Clare Kummer - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Here are stage directions for Acts 2 and 3. As with Act 1, I bet you cut a buncha this out, but that's ok.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/rolloswildoat_stagedirections_3_128kb.mp3

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/rolloswildoat_stagedirections_2_128kb.mp3

Thanks, Todd
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Sorry for the wait, everyone. I had a busy weekend. :|
At the risk of going all metatextual again... wow! What a great performance! Really, really funny and perfectly characterized. Thank you!

Acts I and II are PL OK. I'll listen to Act III when I have a free moment tonight. I also appreciate the musical accompaniment you provided for the song. It was a nice touch. I'll have to see if I can smuggle it into the final edit itself. :-P
Elizabby wrote: February 5th, 2018, 12:15 am Oops! This is the same file again, with the missing line inserted at 1:39.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/rolloswildoat_mrsparkgales_1.mp3 (2:54)
Thanks! Everything's perfect now. :-)
ToddHW wrote: February 4th, 2018, 1:06 pm Here is the Act 1 narration.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/rolloswildoat_stagedirections_1_128kb.mp3

(I know you probably don't need everything here.)

Thanks, Todd
Yeah, sorry about that, Todd. You always seem to always claim the narration roles for plays that have heaping rivers of narration. It's all very well done, however. Thank you. :-) Acts I and II are PL OK. Still needed to listen to Act III.
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

I can't do the sort of New York accent that you would expect Mr Stein the Theatrical Manager to have, so I've gone for more of a "Southern Gentleman" voice characterisation. It's easier for Australians to do than N.Y., and it's meant as a tribute, not a satire.

I do hope this voice doesn't get me stoned. :help: And I don't mean by Mary-Jane. I can just see Devorah calmly setting the headphones down after listening, going outside, and methodically collecting a big ol' bag of rocks.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/rolloswildoat_stein_1_128kb.mp3

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: February 10th, 2018, 8:46 pm I can just see Devorah calmly setting the headphones down after listening, going outside, and methodically collecting a big ol' bag of rocks.
Well, I usually wait until the play is complete to hear everyone's part. But after a teaser like that, I had to have a listen!

Well done, really! Several lines made me laugh out loud! I think this will be great. If you don't mind a bit of unsolicited feedback, however, the only thing I heard that could be improved is lightening up some of your R's. Most "Southuh'n Gen'lemen" tend to pronounce R's very lightly, if at all, especially at the end of words. For instance, your "Mr. Webster" at 1:36 is perfect!

If you've ever seen The Ladykillers, with Tom Hanks, he does this voice extremely well!
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

I guess Mr Stein is not quite the gen'lemen he aims to be. :D

Interesting point about the 'R's. I tried to model this off my memory of an expatriate Texan truck-driver I knew here in Australia about 15 years ago. I couldn't tell you which part of Texas he was from, but I seem to remember he hit every 'R' there was to hit. While he was one of those "Nature's gentlemen", he didn't have a gentleman's accent.

Act 2: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/rolloswildoat_stein_2_128kb.mp3
(All three acts were recorded in the same session)

Cheers,
Chris
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Act 3: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/rolloswildoat_stein_3_128kb.mp3

"I wonder who I'll be tomorrow?" :D

Cheers,
Chris
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: February 11th, 2018, 12:35 am Interesting point about the 'R's. I tried to model this off my memory of an expatriate Texan truck-driver I knew here in Australia about 15 years ago. I couldn't tell you which part of Texas he was from, but I seem to remember he hit every 'R' there was to hit. While he was one of those "Nature's gentlemen", he didn't have a gentleman's accent.
Interesting! Maybe I'll have to start paying closer attention to the voices of people I hear around me, and less to the archetypal voice I hear in my head. :lol: I haven't noticed that tendency around here, but maybe I've become accustomed to it so that I just don't hear it anymore. (Side note: Although I was born and raised in Texas, I don't have the "Texan" voice. I'm often asked by people around here where I'm from, and they often seem to assume I'm from Michigan or some such place because of certain of my speech patterns. Where these patterns came from is anyone's guess!)
Looking forward to your Waterfield. :wink:
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

mightyfelix wrote: February 11th, 2018, 2:47 pm Looking forward to your Waterfield. :wink:
I was hoping to incorporate a dramatic musical sting with the villainous Waterfield character, but darnit, that’s already taken.

“... read by “Killer Kitty”. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bW7Op86ox9g

Chris
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Sorry...posted by mistake.
Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Sorry I'm so slow with the proof-listening. My students all submitted their first papers of the semester, so I'm trying to catch up with some of my grading first
SonOfTheExiles wrote: February 11th, 2018, 1:14 am Act 3: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/rolloswildoat_stein_3_128kb.mp3

Cheers,
Chris
Thanks Chris! And no worries: I'm an American and wouldn't even try to attempt a New York accent. It's a hard one to pull off without sounding like an extra from Goodfellas. :-) I'm looking forward to listening to your files. Thanks again for contributing!
PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Act 3 for the narrator and Goldie are both PL OK. I'll listen to Chris' files tomorrow. Thanks for your patience during the deluge of student essays (most of which are all pretty bad, tbh... grading is taking forever!).
PROJECTS
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

ChuckW wrote: February 25th, 2018, 7:08 pm Thanks for your patience during the deluge of student essays (most of which are all pretty bad, tbh... grading is taking forever!).
Ain’t you got a stairwell handy, Chuck?

You fling the whole blessed stack of papers down the stairwell, those landing on the top flight of stairs get an ‘A’, second flight a ‘B’, and so on. Anything making it to the bottom gets failed, as it’s obviously sufficiently light as to be decidedly aerodynamic.

Chris

P.S. Tune in next week for a discussion of beer and “lateral” thinking.
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Chuck:

I'll take Camperdown, if that's ok.

Many thanks,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

DrPGould wrote: March 18th, 2018, 4:24 pm Chuck:

I'll take Camperdown, if that's ok.

Many thanks,

Philip
Woohoo! That would be great! Thanks Philip! :-)
PROJECTS
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

May I have Lydia?
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine