COMPLETE Rollo's Wild Oat by Clare Kummer - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ZamesCurran

Post by ZamesCurran »

That's over 89 minutes for the full act. (heck, many full plays aren't that long). And it won't even fit on a single CD.
Last edited by ZamesCurran on May 21st, 2018, 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Truth,
James
---------------------
linny

Post by linny »

linny wrote: May 21st, 2018, 10:27 am I'll PL Act 1, scene 2
32:20 – missing partial line (page 50) –
Hewston. Ah, yes, yes, indeed – those were the days-
“’Tis not alone me inky cloak, good mother.”
(Continues speech to “Shapes of grief. These do but seem-“)
ZamesCurran

Post by ZamesCurran »

linny wrote: May 21st, 2018, 1:44 pm 32:20 – missing partial line (page 50) –
Right, about that. I stop there because that's NOT the next line of the play (Hamlet"). It's actually "That can denote me truly. These indeed 'seem,' For they are actions that a man might play." It should be in the background, so I figured it wouldn't matter where he trailed off...
Truth,
James
---------------------
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

ZamesCurran wrote: May 21st, 2018, 12:24 pm
That's over 89 minutes for the full act. (heck, many full plays aren't that long). And it won't even fit on a single CD.
Isn't that obscene? I can't imagine how much longer the actual Broadway production must have run... unless the director made some pretty judicious cuts, that is.

Funnily enough, I finished editing a rough cut of Act II (both scenes) and it's only 30 minutes or so.
linny wrote: May 21st, 2018, 1:44 pm
Thanks again, Linny. You're a life saver. :-)

And since Zames kinda already explained my rationale for your PL discrepancy, I'll go ahead and ask for your expect opinion: what should we do here? Should we keep Hewston's entire speech unfettered? Or should I cut it short and just add Todd's narration? I'm fine with either... just thought I'd see if you had a preference.
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

TO ALL: By the way, since I'm having so much fun with this play, I've decided to do another Clare Kummer comedy next: Be Calm, Camilla! It's another showbiz farce about a small-town girl who moves to the big city and aspires to be a concert pianist (but has to make due with her low-paying job as a movie house organist). Like Rollo, it's another light, clever romantic comedy. It looks like a lot of fun!

https://archive.org/details/becalmcamillaac00kummgoog
PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
linny

Post by linny »

ChuckW wrote: May 22nd, 2018, 11:53 am

And since Zames kinda already explained my rationale for your PL discrepancy, I'll go ahead and ask for your expect opinion: what should we do here? Should we keep Hewston's entire speech unfettered? Or should I cut it short and just add Todd's narration? I'm fine with either... just thought I'd see if you had a preference.
Expert opinion. I really needed that chuckle today. Thank you! lol

I’d mark it PL OK. The author’s intent is achieved. I’d also consider a pl ok as treating as a typo. If a word in a sentence should be ‘it’ but the written word is ‘to’ we would still read ‘it’ and everyone would be fine with that position. As long as it wasn’t a word perfect reading, of course.
ZamesCurran

Post by ZamesCurran »

ChuckW wrote: May 22nd, 2018, 11:53 am Isn't that obscene? I can't imagine how much longer the actual Broadway production must have run... unless the director made some pretty judicious cuts, that is.
Well, that sort of relates to how I explain Shakespeare to people. Consider watching TV at home. Network prime time is 3 hours and you see some sitcoms and a drama or two. And a Shakespearean play is 3 hours long with a dramatic main plot with several comic subplots. So, basically the same thing.
Truth,
James
---------------------
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

ChuckW wrote: May 22nd, 2018, 12:00 pm TO ALL: By the way, since I'm having so much fun with this play, I've decided to do another Clare Kummer comedy next: Be Calm, Camilla! It's another showbiz farce about a small-town girl who moves to the big city and aspires to be a concert pianist (but has to make due with her low-paying job as a movie house organist). Like Rollo, it's another light, clever romantic comedy. It looks like a lot of fun!

https://archive.org/details/becalmcamillaac00kummgoog
I guess the play’s title is referencing Dumas’ “Courage, Camille!”.

I’ve started reading it, and it does look fun. I’ve always wanted to be a piano-mover. :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
ZamesCurran

Post by ZamesCurran »

Hewston's Second Act:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/rolloswildoat_hewston_2_128kb.mp3

(Just scene 1, but unless I missed something, he disappears for 40 pages and is not seen again until Act 3, sc 2)
Truth,
James
---------------------
ZamesCurran

Post by ZamesCurran »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: May 22nd, 2018, 2:02 pm I’ve started reading it, and it does look fun. I’ve always wanted to be a piano-mover. :mrgreen:
I'm thinking Mac will let me continue my career as Kummer servants.
Truth,
James
---------------------
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

ZamesCurran wrote: May 23rd, 2018, 1:30 am
SonOfTheExiles wrote: May 22nd, 2018, 2:02 pm I’ve started reading it, and it does look fun. I’ve always wanted to be a piano-mover. :mrgreen:
linny wrote: May 22nd, 2018, 12:17 pm
linny wrote: May 21st, 2018, 1:44 pm 32:20 – missing partial line (page 50) –

I’d mark it PL OK. The author’s intent is achieved. I’d also consider a pl ok as treating as a typo. If a word in a sentence should be ‘it’ but the written word is ‘to’ we would still read ‘it’ and everyone would be fine with that position. As long as it wasn’t a word perfect reading, of course.
Oh, wow! This cast is already coming together quite nicely. :-) I can't wait to start this one up.

And thanks Zames! I just finished editing in your dialogue and should have Act II uploaded soon. No rush on Act III, of course. I'm still waiting on one character's last remaining sound file, and I haven't even bothered to record my own dialogue for that one. I started recording this morning, but had a somewhat tongue-tied afternoon and didn't get very far. I might start editing this one soon, but there's no way I can have it done in an expedient manner.
PROJECTS
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

linny wrote: May 22nd, 2018, 12:17 pm

Well, you're more of an expert than me. :-) Thanks Linny!
PROJECTS
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

PROJECTS
benderca

Post by benderca »

ZamesCurran wrote: May 23rd, 2018, 1:30 am
ChuckW wrote: May 23rd, 2018, 11:06 am Oh, wow! This cast is already coming together quite nicely. :-) I can't wait to start this one up.
I'm in! Just read the whole play last night. I'd love to play either Alma or Celia -- two totally different characters, but equally fun. A nurse or a lady of leisure? I can be both when occasion demands it! :wink:
linny

Post by linny »

I can PL this.

EDIT: Act 2 is PL OK. Such fun! :clap: