COMPLETE Rollo's Wild Oat by Clare Kummer - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

“No book, text, photograph, movie, chocolate pudding... just poofs itself into existence without a (human) author figure of some kind.

Now you’ve made me wonder where the courts would stand on AI machine-authored works, or on that whole “million monkeys typing for a thousand years” thing.

“To be or not to be, that is the gazorninplat”.

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Hm. Interesting thought. :hmm: I'd expect copyright would go to whoever had written the AI program, or the owner of the monkeys. Kind of like how so many men in history got the credit for their wives' inventions or discoveries.

(Sorry, I've been reading lots of feminist literature lately. :mrgreen: )
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

alanmapstone wrote: January 27th, 2018, 12:42 pm Skittering act 1

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/rolloswildoat_skittering_1.mp3
Holy crap. I don't think I'd realized how little Skitterling said in this play until I PL-ed your lines. I checked and re-checked to make sure you didn't have anymore dialogue. And Camperdown isn't much bigger.

PL OK, of course, although you pronounced the name "Skittering" in the character credit. Would you mind changing that to "SkitterLing" at the beginning of the Act II file?
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

I have a bit more to say in act 2 but it is all in the character of the King and are all lines by Shakespeare.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
ZamesCurran

Post by ZamesCurran »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: January 27th, 2018, 12:44 pm Now you’ve made me wonder where the courts would stand on AI machine-authored works, or on that whole “million monkeys typing for a thousand years” thing.
Actually, they've already weighed in on this, in regards to a selfie made by a monkey who picked up a camera, and accidentally pressed the shutter.

Wikipedia said that since animals can't own a copyright, the image was PD and posted it.
The photographer who owned the camera, who was selling it, claimed he owned the copyright, and demanded that they take it down.
PETA said that monkey did, in fact, own the copyright.

The court basically said that the monkey was the "author" of the photo, except an author must be human, and therefore the photo cannot be copyrighted (and hence, PD)

www.cnn.com/2014/08/08/opinion/cevallos-monkey-selfie-copyright/index.html
Truth,
James
---------------------
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Well, I’ve read Stein’s speaking parts through, and to tell you the truth, I think his character could lean in two different directions.

So I will address this question to Rollo and Goldie ... do you see Stein as being a stand-up guy, protective of Goldie ... or is he a cynical exploiter, just out to make a buck?

I only ask so that I can be in-line with whatever emotions you two will be projecting.

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

May I claim bella?
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

Also, I thought I'd mention that Bella is in several acts, not just Act III!
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

leanneyauyau wrote: January 28th, 2018, 7:48 am May I claim bella?
That would be amazing. Thank you so much! :-)
leanneyauyau wrote: January 28th, 2018, 7:49 am Also, I thought I'd mention that Bella is in several acts, not just Act III!
Wait, is she? I'll re-read the earlier Acts when I get home. I just thought she was in Scene 1 and 2 in Act III. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: January 28th, 2018, 12:19 am Well, I’ve read Stein’s speaking parts through, and to tell you the truth, I think his character could lean in two different directions.

So I will address this question to Rollo and Goldie ... do you see Stein as being a stand-up guy, protective of Goldie ... or is he a cynical exploiter, just out to make a buck?

I only ask so that I can be in-line with whatever emotions you two will be projecting.

Chris
I actually haven't read it yet, but when I do, I'll read with that question in mind.
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

ChuckW wrote: January 28th, 2018, 8:21 am
leanneyauyau wrote: January 28th, 2018, 7:48 am May I claim bella?
That would be amazing. Thank you so much! :-)
leanneyauyau wrote: January 28th, 2018, 7:49 am Also, I thought I'd mention that Bella is in several acts, not just Act III!
Wait, is she? I'll re-read the earlier Acts when I get home. I just thought she was in Scene 1 and 2 in Act III. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
Oh. There are several scenes? I just have misread in that case.
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: January 28th, 2018, 12:19 am Well, I’ve read Stein’s speaking parts through, and to tell you the truth, I think his character could lean in two different directions.

Chris
Hmm. I'm not sure if it needs to be an either/or proposition. Stein is a shrewd capitalist looking to exploit the somewhat dimwitted Rollo (and he, in turn, is happy to be exploited, since no legitimate stage manager will take him on), but I also think he has some affection for Goldie. It might not always trump his need to make a quick buck, but I think there's an argument that Stein functions as a pseudo-surrogate father. And since this play is all about parents, children, and wriggling away from your familial destiny... I don't know. Perhaps there's something there?

Of course, I'll leave all character interpretation stuff up to you. :-P
PROJECTS
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

leanneyauyau wrote: January 28th, 2018, 8:30 am Oh. There are several scenes? I just have misread in that case.
Ah, there you go. Glad we cleared that up. :-)
PROJECTS
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

May I read your stage directions?

Thanks, Todd