COMPLETE[PLAY]The Bores by Moliere - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

AprilWalters wrote: January 8th, 2018, 2:38 pm I'll take Stage Directions. Does that also include the preface? I saw to skip footnotes. Any other specifics to note?

I'll do my best with pronouncing the characters' names, but I'm always open to correction. (I had some French, Latin, and Greek ages ago in school, so I can normally make reasonable guesses.)
Great.

As part of Act 1 please read In the Introductory Notice from "Molière dedicated The Bores to... " through "... humble servant, THE TRANSLATOR." - I think this is interesting. Then, yes, please read the Preface.

In the Dramatis Persone, please read the entire character description. If readers do what they are supposed to do and read the same thing in their vice credit, then I will use their voices - but I have yet to do a play where all of them do do it and then I will use your voice as part of their credit. And read your own credit "Stage Directions read by..."

Throughout the play, do not read any of the footnotes. Interesting as they are, they break up the flow of the play too much.

Where a stage direction follows a character name such as "LA M. (Letting the hat fall).", please read the character name as well.

Note: Kitty knows how to pronounce all these names and is The Law!

Thanks, Todd
AprilWalters

Post by AprilWalters »

Cool -- I PM'd Kitty with name questions. Is it ok if I upload as if it's a normal part of the play an audio file with me test-pronouncing each name, and post the link here?
AprilWalters
Not sure what I am doing with my life right now
Sorry for flaking out for 2016-2017.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

AprilWalters wrote: January 8th, 2018, 3:16 pm Cool -- I PM'd Kitty with name questions. Is it ok if I upload as if it's a normal part of the play an audio file with me test-pronouncing each name, and post the link here?
Absolutely. And I don't really care if the names are perfectly correct. (For example, I won't make people change mis-pronounced names in their own files: I just want consistency. So if Aunt Agatha always calls the nephew Freddie when he wants to be the more prim and proper Frederick that he makes other people use now that he is grown up, tough beans....)

Thanks, Todd
AprilWalters

Post by AprilWalters »

Cool - here's my name test - https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/thebores_name-check.mp3 (0:33) -- the one that I couldn't decide on pronunciation at all was "FILINTE"
AprilWalters
Not sure what I am doing with my life right now
Sorry for flaking out for 2016-2017.
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

I see that both the fencing bore and the dancing bore are still unclaimed. Having done a dancing master previously, I inclined to the fencing master, but he only gets one line.

So I can give you either one line of Kirk Douglas or multiple lines of Kenneth Williams, but if the latter, I'd appreciate it if anyone who knows how a Couranto sounds could clue me in, otherwise I'd just have to pick something in triple-metre.

Any preferences?

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: January 8th, 2018, 4:00 pm I see that both the fencing bore and the dancing bore are still unclaimed. Having done a dancing master previously, I inclined to the fencing master, but he only gets one line.

So I can give you either one line of Kirk Douglas or multiple lines of Kenneth Williams, but if the latter, I'd appreciate it if anyone who knows how a Couranto sounds could clue me in, otherwise I'd just have to pick something in triple-metre.

Any preferences?

Cheers,
Chris
Oh, you've already fenced so go for the dancing master. A courante by Lully can be found at http://imslp.org/wiki/Corrente_(Lully%2C_Jean-Baptiste) but wait a minute, we're not singing anyway - the stage directions will say that you sing but you will not do it. Right? Just perhaps speak in triple metre?

Thanks, Todd
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

bluechien wrote: January 8th, 2018, 7:04 pm Climene for PL!
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/bores_climene_02_128kb.mp3 2:29
Thanks!

Todd
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Lisandre, Act 1, completed : https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/bores_lisandre_1_128kb.mp3

Sonia, I just need to mention that in this, and any subsequent recordings for the next month or so, I'll need you to let me know if you can hear a background drone of cicadas. I think the noise-cleaning is getting rid of it, but I can't be sure because I don't have noise-cancelling headphones; so when I check the noise-cleaned mp3, I'm still hearing the cicadas live in real-time, if you catch my drift.

Cheers,
Chris
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote:So I can give you either one line of Kirk Douglas or multiple lines of Kenneth Williams, but if the latter, I'd appreciate it if anyone who knows how a Couranto sounds could clue me in, otherwise I'd just have to pick something in triple-metre.
I'm glad you chose to go the Kenneth Williams way again :9: this is so great. At some points you sound almost constipated :lol: and at others again with a touch of slime. One can see your nostril upturned, like KW used to do. (Todd [=uninitiated into Carry-On series] will not understand a word of what I'm saying)

Excellent job, but for some reason the final line is missing, could you insert that one please ? Make it a memorable exit :mrgreen:

Farewell. My dearest Baptiste has not seen my Couranto; I am going to look for him. We always agree about the tunes; I shall ask him to score it. (Exit, still singing.)

So, I noticed it's the second time you are playing a dancing master. We already have our resident Notary with ZamesCurran, so maybe you will specialize in Dancing Masters from now on. :mrgreen: Although it may be quite a small market, so it's good that you are flexible and open for other roles as well.

Oh, and no annoying cicadas here either. Your noise cleaning works well.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

excellent Eva, cool that I hear my sparring partner before I do my part. I was thinking of doing Orante a bit more vitriolic, so now I hear your more soft-spoken Climène, I think this will make for an excellent contrast. :9:

Everything perfect, no lines missing. PL ok. First role finished in this play. Congrats.

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

"Make it a memorable exit."

With a line like this ..."My dearest Baptiste has not seen my Couranto."... how could I not?

Chris
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: January 9th, 2018, 1:15 am "Make it a memorable exit."
With a line like this ..."My dearest Baptiste has not seen my Couranto."... how could I not?
now I fear the worst :roll: I picture Charles Hawtrey as Baptiste. The consequences are unimaginable.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: January 8th, 2018, 3:05 pm Note: Kitty knows how to pronounce all these names and is The Law!
8-) do I get to wear the Sheriff's star that goes with it ?

Well, April, since you wanted my opinion, here goes:

First of all, you did really well for most of them, I notice you had some practice with French already. :thumbs:
All the following are well done and sound quite French: DAMIS ALCIDOR LISANDRE ALCANDRE ALCIPPE CARITIDÈS ORMIN L'ÉPINE LA RIVIERE ORPHISE CLIMÈNE

Only 5 have been pronounced more in the Italian way, pronounced with a final syllable '–tee', while French should be a mute ‘e’ (check with Alcippe for example, which was very well done) I wonder why you opted for that pronunciation with those 5 only since you did all the others correctly with mute ‘e’. :hmm:

ÉRASTE - Erast, not Eras-tee
DORANTE – Dorant, nasal was well done, but without the -tee
FILINTE – your first version with the nasal is good, but with mute ‘e’ at the end again
ORANTE – Orant, nasal good, but with mute ‘e’
LA MONTAGNE – ‘la’, not ‘le’, and also more mute ‘e’ at the end, almost as if it rhymes with the English word ‘vine’

If you wish I can make you a soundfile of those 5 tonight. :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Todd, here is Orante, for your annoyance (I don't think she's a pleasure) :mrgreen: now she is exactly the sort of woman I wouldn't even want to spend 5 minutes with. :roll:

But I think this scene will work out well. I already pity Tomas, standing between me and Eva, and only hoping someone will relieve him from this ordeal :lol:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/bores_orante_2_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 3:15 min.

Sonia