COMPLETE[PLAY]The Twin-Rivals by George Farquhar - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

sacciotto wrote: February 12th, 2018, 3:54 pmHow are you doing? Working hard on your listening in your last holiday week, as far as I know. :D
haha not only, I try to get some recordings done for my own project as well. But there is always something coming up in between. I'm being kept busy :lol:
Here am I with my second recording in the drama section! Hopefully, I will pass the test. :oops:
Can wait for your PL.
well here it is: I love the excitement in your voice. The great thing with small roles is that the readers really create a character for their role, even if it is small. That makes even a short appearance memorable, and I like that.

Your servant definitely should have had a few more lines. :thumbs:

PL ok. But: two notes for your next drama ;)

> you need to leave more space between your speaking chunks. Here there was only one, but you started very quick after your voice credit. Todd will manage to cut it out, but it would have been easier if you left 2 seconds in between voice credit and speech

> the volume is a bit over our limit (92.9 dB / our maximum is 92). Also here, Todd will adjust volume in the editing phase anyway. So since there are no textual errors, I will just make a note in the MW to change the volume later. But be careful with too loud volume, the voice may get clipped, and then it can distort the sound. Here it was ok though.
Starting the reading of our next project in Portuguese in three, two, one :clap:
:lol: you guys are really too fast for me.

Thanks for participating here :) and see you in the next play if you are still interested. You should definitely get bigger roles soon.

Sonia
sacciotto

Post by sacciotto »

Hey Sonia,
Thank you again! :clap:
Kitty wrote: February 12th, 2018, 4:47 pm I love the excitement in your voice. The great thing with small roles is that the readers really create a character for their role, even if it is small. That makes even a short appearance memorable, and I like that.
Enchanted! I can"t think of a better word to express my feelings at this moment after your reviews. You are pushing me towards something bigger, and I will believe you and embrace this new world I've been facing here. I do love to participate in projects like that, and contributing as a volunteer is simply priceless! :9:

About your two notes:

I will pay more attention next time to the spaces you've mentioned, but, if there's something I still struggle, that is the volume, as I can't find that information about the numbers of dB. I'm sorry... How embarrassing...
Kitty wrote: February 12th, 2018, 4:47 pm the volume is a bit over our limit (92.9 dB / our maximum is 92)
Well, it took me about forty minutes to record the section 2 of Cartas de Inglaterra, and Mr. Editing is waiting for me, with an evil smile on its face. :twisted:
I better answer it!

Have a wonderful night!

Adriana
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

sacciotto wrote: February 12th, 2018, 6:03 pm I will pay more attention next time to the spaces you've mentioned, but, if there's something I still struggle, that is the volume, as I can't find that information about the numbers of dB
Everybody starts out small, and everybody struggles at some times :)
If you use Audacity, you can check volume with a plugin called ReplayGain. There is also a tool called MP3Gain for Win which basically does the same, only as external program. Then there is also checker (see sig). This little JavaScript doesn't only tell you the volume but also about noise, stereo/mono and the other tech specs.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

yay, welcome back Monika :D

indeed Adriana, Monika has given you the perfect link to solve all volume issues. I let ReplayGain run every time over my finished Audacity file, before I export. It's very easy to handle. If you have any problems with installing it, don't hesitate to ask.

Sonia
benderca

Post by benderca »

Here's Aurelia, Act 3:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/twinrivals_aurelia_3.mp3

Here I don't have to put up with or defend myself against that despicable Richmore, but I do get to be insulted by Trueman. Can't a girl catch a break around here?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

benderca wrote: February 14th, 2018, 8:10 am Here's Aurelia, Act 3:
Here I don't have to put up with or defend myself against that despicable Richmore, but I do get to be insulted by Trueman. Can't a girl catch a break around here?
awwwww those sobs at the end, my heart goes out to you. :cry: Men can be so mean. And especially Aurelia gets her fair share of abuse in this play. Lovely played, TJ. :)

two things to note though:

> missing voice credit: "Aurelia, her Cousin, beloved by Captain Trueman, read by TJ"

> at about 1:02: (p. 67 middle) missing line: "My lord, I wish you joy !"

did I miss Act 2, or did you start with Act 3 ? :hmm:

Sonia
benderca

Post by benderca »

Kitty wrote: February 14th, 2018, 8:26 am awwwww those sobs at the end, my heart goes out to you. :cry: Men can be so mean. And especially Aurelia gets her fair share of abuse in this play. Lovely played, TJ. :)
Aww, thanks! I love your portrayal of Mrs. Mandrake -- she gets under my skin... :twisted:
Kitty wrote: February 14th, 2018, 8:26 am > at about 1:02: (p. 67 middle) missing line: "My lord, I wish you joy !"
Oooh, that's a sneaky little line. In my epub version, it is stuffed into a paragraph in between two of Hermes's lines. I stuck it in here:

Kitty wrote: February 14th, 2018, 8:26 am did I miss Act 2, or did you start with Act 3 ? :hmm:
> missing voice credit: "Aurelia, her Cousin, beloved by Captain Trueman, read by TJ"
No, I made a couple of corrections to Act 2 that I still need to edit in. I thought I'd send this act along first since it was good to go (or so I thought). I have the voice credit in Act 2.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

benderca wrote: February 14th, 2018, 9:50 amAww, thanks! I love your portrayal of Mrs. Mandrake -- she gets under my skin... :twisted:
hehe, she should ;) I am pimping you out to our beloved Richmore :lol:
No, I made a couple of corrections to Act 2 that I still need to edit in. I thought I'd send this act along first since it was good to go (or so I thought). I have the voice credit in Act 2.
:thumbs: ok then, the missing line is in and this is PL ok.

Thank you
Sonia
graceahlin

Post by graceahlin »

Recording for Jack, Act 1:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/twinrivals_jack_1.mp3

Thank you,
Grace Ahlin
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

graceahlin wrote: February 16th, 2018, 5:12 pm Recording for Jack, Act 1:

Thank you,
Grace Ahlin
Thanks.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

graceahlin wrote: February 16th, 2018, 5:12 pm Recording for Jack, Act 1:
Hey Grace, this is an excellent performance. I'm happy you found your way into the drama section, because you fit right in here. :D

You play Jack's surprise and concern over the death of old Wouldbe really well, one can hear the emotion. Excellently played. Hope to hear from you again. (that means: please claim more in our other plays :mrgreen: )

However, as you are new to drama recordings, here are a few notes you need to take care of before I mark it ok:

> for the voice credits, could you please say the entire description, as marked in the MW: "Jack, Valet to Benjamin Wouldbe, read by Grace Ahlin"

> also, please leave at least 2 seconds of silence between each of your speaking bits. So each time someone else speaks, or the stage directions get interspersed, you need to make a longer break, because our editor needs to cut all your parts out and paste them into a masterfile. It's difficult to fiddle with the bits if you leave no breathing space at all ;)

> then a general remark, which has nothing to do with drama, but is important for all our LV recordings: your volume is a lot over our limit (86-92 dB, yours is 95.6) Could you please reduce it by 5 dB ? It's always best not to record too loud because there is danger of "clipping" the peaks and then you risk distorting your sound. Here it was ok, no damage done, but it may be important for your future recordings.

Thank you, great job !

Sonia
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

twice the same file, Ava ? Is that correct ? :hmm:

well at least Comic is totally PL ok. In spite of his name, his role is more tragic here :lol: nicely played :thumbs:

Sonia
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ah yes, that's more like it 8-) Maid also PL ok. Thank you !

Sonia