Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
benderca

Post by benderca »

Here is Aurelia, Act 5 (including the epilogue):

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/twinrivals_aurelia_5.mp3
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

benderca wrote: February 28th, 2018, 7:14 am Here is Aurelia, Act 5 (including the epilogue):
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/twinrivals_aurelia_5.mp3
excellent play-acting !!! The screaming for help scene at the beginning really was very graphic :shock: I hope you didn't hyperventilate too much there. Didn't you become dizzy ?

And the epilogue is very languidly, seductively spoken. I bet the audience will applaud after such an ending to our play. :9:

Great job, TJ ! PL ok.

Thanks

Sonia
benderca

Post by benderca »

Kitty wrote: February 28th, 2018, 7:34 am excellent play-acting !!! The screaming for help scene at the beginning really was very graphic :shock: I hope you didn't hyperventilate too much there. Didn't you become dizzy ?

And the epilogue is very languidly, seductively spoken. I bet the audience will applaud after such an ending to our play. :9:

Great job, TJ ! PL ok.

Thanks

Sonia
Thanks, Sonia!

This scene is definitely not children-friendly... but it was an attempted rape. Since the characters play down the crime, I decided to play it up (to the extent that I could, while staying under 92 dB :wink: ). The attempted rapist gets sentenced to marriage with the lady he got pregnant. Hard justice. While, I think, Mrs. Mandrake gets carted off to prison (at least according to the side-notes).

Even Aurelia herself dismisses the crime. At one point she says "never mind the villain;—look out the woman of the house, the devil, the monster, that decoyed me hither" -- as if somehow Mrs. Mandrake's crime is worse than the attempted-rapist's crime. And Aurelia even partially blames herself, saying "this late adventure has taught me how dangerous it is to provoke a gentle man by ill usage." Calling an attempted rape an "adventure" is offensive in itself, but implying that leading a man on justifies his attempt to rape her is repulsive. Moreover, Aurelia doesn't lead the jerk on, she clearly repels him in an earlier scene (but even if she had led him on, it still could hardly be considered as justification for his actions).

That's why I think the epilogue is so fantastic -- it's an apology to women, and a reminder that this is just a play -- and a comedy at that -- and that we shouldn't take the actions too seriously, but should take it all with a grain of salt. It's entertainment, not so much a social commentary.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Well written! I may add something to the summary text.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Even Aurelia herself dismisses the crime. At one point she says "never mind the villain;—look out the woman of the house, the devil, the monster, that decoyed me hither" -- as if somehow Mrs. Mandrake's crime is worse than the attempted-rapist's crime. And Aurelia even partially blames herself, saying "this late adventure has taught me how dangerous it is to provoke a gentle man by ill usage." Calling an attempted rape an "adventure" is offensive in itself, but implying that leading a man on justifies his attempt to rape her is repulsive.
yes I agree, often there is this attitude of gentleman's delict, "boys will be boys" and so on. Like it's normal behaviour that, given the chance, a man will jump on anything :lol: Well I picture Richmore as a sort of handsome, dashing rake, who does have success with the ladies, and because of that, Aurelia is probably more easy on him. Handsome people can often get away with more than ugly people. ;)
That's why I think the epilogue is so fantastic -- it's an apology to women, and a reminder that this is just a play -- and a comedy at that -- and that we shouldn't take the actions too seriously, but should take it all with a grain of salt. It's entertainment, not so much a social commentary.
yes that is very wisely spoken. I also prefer to see/hear it for entertainment and not get dragged down by discussion of principles or analyzing a situation to death. In any case, Aurelia did not retain a trauma from the situation, so we shouldn't either :lol:

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

A man should have two hearts.

The heart of a lion when he’s fighting. And the heart of a lamb when he’s loving.

Normal transmission will resume momentarily. :roll:

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
benderca

Post by benderca »

ToddHW wrote: February 28th, 2018, 3:35 pm Well written! I may add something to the summary text.

Thanks, Todd
Thanks, Todd! Please do.

Here's Aurelia, Act 4 (when she slaps the jerk):

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/twinrivals_aurelia_4.mp3
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

benderca wrote: March 7th, 2018, 8:08 am Here's Aurelia, Act 4 (when she slaps the jerk):
YAY !!! there's a slap ! I hope you didn't slap yourself for this. I know I once did for a recording and it really hurt :? talk about suffering for our art. (oh and I don't think Richmore would like being called a jerk :lol: but I get your point ;) )

Aurelia Act 4: PL ok. Excellent !

Sonia
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Kitty wrote: March 8th, 2018, 12:38 am YAY !!! there's a slap !
Would you need me to jingle with some coins? :) I thought about doing it but supposed that the editor would do that :oops: But I could do it :D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

moniaqua wrote: March 8th, 2018, 2:40 am Would you need me to jingle with some coins? :) I thought about doing it but supposed that the editor would do that :oops: But I could do it :D
well for that I would need to refer you to the editor, but on the whole we rarely do a lot of noises, unless we can do them with our voices, like sighs and laughs. I guess the slap is too juicy not to be taken LOL but I don't think Todd will need a lot of other noises. Let's keep it simple ;)

but thanks for offering. If Todd wants the coin jingling, he will holler !

Sonia
benderca

Post by benderca »

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

benderca wrote: April 8th, 2018, 4:41 pm Here she is... Aurelia, Act 2:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/twinrivals_aurelia_2.mp3
Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

benderca wrote: April 8th, 2018, 4:41 pm Here she is... Aurelia, Act 2:
and this is Aurelia all done and dusted. Perfectly PL ok, TJ. :thumbs: Haha, I like the girlish drooling/dreaming quality of your voice when you meet Trueman in the park. :mrgreen:

Thanks ! great job.

Sonia
catharmaiden

Post by catharmaiden »

I see you are in need of stage directions still, so I'd volunteer for this :)

Sandra
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

catharmaiden wrote: April 9th, 2018, 4:56 am I see you are in need of stage directions still, so I'd volunteer for this :)

Sandra
Thank you!

Todd