[COMPLETE] [Dram Read] Story of the Amulet, E. Nesbit-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Hi Helen, let me address your questions one at a time:

- spaces: according to the links I have, Peter is using underscores and the filenames are correct. There are no spaces. It may be an issue with your display? In any case, don't worry about it. Since this is a Dram Read, all the files will be edited together in the end anyway, so filenames are not a big issue if the audio is correct. (Sorry about the earlier confusion, I wasn't sure whether by "spaces" you meant gaps in the audio files!)

- file locations: since this is a Dramatic Reading, all the files will be edited together in the end. For ease of editing (as I'm the BC but I don't edit) once the files are marked "OK" I move them down to the bottom of the MW under the relevant chapter. This way all the finished files for each chapter are grouped together - see Chapter 2 which is fully edited and complete. The other advantage of this system is that the open sections move up to the top where potential readers can see them! This means that everyone needs to use the CHAPTER numbers, not the section numbers as these will keep changing. (This system is handy for small chapter books - any more than about 15-20 chapters and this system becomes clumsy. See the "Monte Cristo" project for an example of this! The other system is the one Twinkle is using for the "Jo's Boys" project, where all the links go into the one section. This requires less movement but is IMO more difficult to track in terms of PL notes. Horses for courses, as we say in Australia!)

Obviously it is totally up to you, but I am happy for you to listen to the narrator files for chapter 5, 7, 8 and 9 (which are all in the MW). You don't need to worry too much about the MW - I'll handle that if you just post your PL notes or OK in the project thread. If you don't want to do it, I'll get around to it myself eventually!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

benderca wrote: February 1st, 2018, 3:09 pm
Elizabby wrote: February 1st, 2018, 12:49 pm To sign her up I need her account name - is her account set up yet?
I'm not sure. She sent in her confirmation email introducing herself. Her forum name will be "unicorn" and her catalogue name will be "Jasmin Salma."
Doesn't appear to be, as I can't create a New Reader file for her. I've marked those sections as "assigned" and will fill in the details later. As long as we get them before the project goes to the catalogue it should be OK! And if she could please read a single combined voice credit for all her roles that would be great! :thumbs:
FlameyFlame

Post by FlameyFlame »

Hi!

Thanks for the welcome in my intro post! I have already taken my first role in the Rival Twins recording going on, but I'd also like to take up your offer to take a role in every chapter of this piece (or close to it :lol: )

My 1-minute test got OK'd today, it's in the proper forum.

I'd like to play:
Chapter 1: Irish Terrier (talking dog? YES PLEASE)
Chapter 6: Babylonian Guard
Chapter 7: Nisroch the Eagle
Chapter 8: Nice gentleman
Chapter 10: JULIUS CAESAR
Chapter 11: Date-seller
Chapter 12: Expelled Boy's Mother (gender neutral casting yes?)
Chapter 13: Dye-Master
Chapter 14: Mr David Devant

Thanks! Let me know if that's too much but this all sounds like a ton of fun.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

re unicorn, she doesn't seem to have reached the member list yet , lets try again later . The trouble with having real people handle registrations is that they seem to sleep and eat and things :D . But if we went back to automatic the forum would be unusable - we wouldn't be able to find the caviar amongst the spam :D :D

Anne
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Great! (I was wondering who would grab Julius Caesar!) The scripts are the purple links at the bottom of the Magic Window, you need to scroll all the way to the bottom to find them.

Your reader file is already created, so I'll just remind you to do a single voice credit for all the roles please. So you say "Julius Caesar, Irish Terrier etc read by ...." You can put it in any file you like, just let me know which one it is in. Most people do it in the first file.

I've given you all the roles you asked for except the Expelled Boy's Mother - I've actually already offered this role to someone via PM and we are in discussion. If she doesn't take it you can have it, but maybe record the other ones first.
FlameyFlame

Post by FlameyFlame »

Hi!

Got home tonight and busted out my first 3 readings. Let me know if these work for the project or if I need to go back and work with them more!

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/amulet_01_irishterrier.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/amulet_06_babylonianguard.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/amulet_07_nisrochtheeaglegod.mp3

EDIT: woops just realized first mistake. I was doing each credit along with the recording. I can fix that if necessary or if you can work with these I will put the rest of the credits in the next recording.
Unicorn

Post by Unicorn »

Elizabby wrote: February 1st, 2018, 3:22 pm
Doesn't appear to be, as I can't create a New Reader file for her. I've marked those sections as "assigned" and will fill in the details later. As long as we get them before the project goes to the catalogue it should be OK! And if she could please read a single combined voice credit for all her roles that would be great! :thumbs:
Jasmin Salma is in the game! (And I'll have her rerecord the voice credit).
annise wrote: February 1st, 2018, 4:34 pm re unicorn, she doesn't seem to have reached the member list yet , lets try again later . The trouble with having real people handle registrations is that they seem to sleep and eat and things :D . But if we went back to automatic the forum would be unusable - we wouldn't be able to find the caviar amongst the spam :D :D

Anne
Yes... sleeping and eating is overrated. But Jasmin is definitely caviar! :D
Jasmin Salma
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Narrator for chapter 10 uploaded: https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/amulet_10_narrator.mp3

(26.57)

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
FlameyFlame

Post by FlameyFlame »

Here's chapter 8, THIS ONE HAS THE REST OF ALL MY VOICE CREDIT LINES, the first 3 were mistakenly put on with their respective recordings.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/Amulet_08_nicegentleman.mp3
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

FlameyFlame wrote: February 2nd, 2018, 12:36 am Hi!

Got home tonight and busted out my first 3 readings. Let me know if these work for the project or if I need to go back and work with them more!

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/amulet_01_irishterrier.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/amulet_06_babylonianguard.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/amulet_07_nisrochtheeaglegod.mp3

EDIT: woops just realized first mistake. I was doing each credit along with the recording. I can fix that if necessary or if you can work with these I will put the rest of the credits in the next recording.
These are all brilliant - and PL OK! :thumbs: I must say it is wonderful listening to the recordings of someone who really gets into the swing of the voice acting! Nisroch the Eagle God was amazing! And I liked how the Irish Terrier actually sounded Irish! :9:

I look forward to hearing the rest!
Last edited by Elizabby on February 2nd, 2018, 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

FlameyFlame wrote: February 2nd, 2018, 4:06 pm Here's chapter 8, THIS ONE HAS THE REST OF ALL MY VOICE CREDIT LINES, the first 3 were mistakenly put on with their respective recordings.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/Amulet_08_nicegentleman.mp3
Very "nice" gentleman - PL OK!

However, that's not what I meant about the voice credits. What I'd like (and you can put it in the next one if you like) is to say "Babylonian Guard, Nice Gentleman, Nisroch the Eagle God, Irish Terrier, Date-seller, Dye-master and Mr David Devant all read by Tyler (whatever your surname is)".
FlameyFlame

Post by FlameyFlame »

Elizabby wrote: February 2nd, 2018, 4:35 pm However, that's not what I meant about the voice credits. What I'd like (and you can put it in the next one if you like) is to say "Babylonian Guard, Nice Gentleman, Nisroch the Eagle God, Irish Terrier, Date-seller, Dye-master and Mr David Devant all read by Tyler (whatever your surname is)".
Ohhhh! Okay got it. Sorry for the mixup, I'll have that when I post the next clip. Thanks for your kind words about the clips I'm trying to have fun with them. :)

Also, even though I wasn't doing it right, can you make sure I pronounced the name "Devant" correctly in my credit I did on the other recording? I couldn't find a reference online.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Peter Why wrote: February 2nd, 2018, 1:20 pm Narrator for chapter 10 uploaded: https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/amulet_10_narrator.mp3

(26.57)

Peter
Thanks Peter - we seem to have lost our helper PL, so I'll get to your files over the next week or so.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

FlameyFlame wrote: February 2nd, 2018, 4:41 pm Also, even though I wasn't doing it right, can you make sure I pronounced the name "Devant" correctly in my credit I did on the other recording? I couldn't find a reference online.
Yes, I just had a listen, that's fine. Just be careful that you don't click your mouse to advance the screen too close to the end of your recordings. It's easier for the editor if she doesn't have to slice very carefully between your last word and a click. (They are very loud in the end product if we aren't careful.)
FlameyFlame

Post by FlameyFlame »

Elizabby wrote: February 2nd, 2018, 4:43 pm
FlameyFlame wrote: February 2nd, 2018, 4:41 pm Also, even though I wasn't doing it right, can you make sure I pronounced the name "Devant" correctly in my credit I did on the other recording? I couldn't find a reference online.
Yes, I just had a listen, that's fine. Just be careful that you don't click your mouse to advance the screen too close to the end of your recordings. It's easier for the editor if she doesn't have to slice very carefully between your last word and a click. (They are very loud in the end product if we aren't careful.)
ah yes I noticed myself doing that a bit too early! I will be more careful. Also feel free to let me know if I'm swinging too hard with any of these voices because I could dial them back if they seem too silly or out of place.