[COMPLETE] [Dram Read] Story of the Amulet, E. Nesbit-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
benderca

Post by benderca »

Could I read Rekh-Mara please?
TJ
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

That would be great! Welcome to the project!
TenorBoy

Post by TenorBoy »

So excited to be voicing Cyril! Thank you. :)
Ashur Gharavi

My Catalog Page: https://librivox.org/reader/10143
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Narrator for chapter 3 uploaded: https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/amu ... rrator.mp3

(16.15)

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Peter, you're so quick! I should have time to start PLing your files this evening.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ok I had a go at the Babylonian Queen. Quite a piece of work :mrgreen: I hope you like my exotic touch with the accent, Beth

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/amu ... nqueen.mp3
Recording time: 0:34 min.

Recording time: 10:38 min.

And in Chapter 7 I found a wrongly coloured line. It was coloured to be the Queen's speech, but it's clearly Cyril:
'I've 'scribed,' replied Cyril cautiously, 'that you are fair, and a—and like a—like a festival; and that she need not be afraid, and that she is to come at once.'
working on the final chapter now

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and here is the rest of the queenly mayhem :mrgreen: it was fun creating her character. Thanks for suggesting the role, Beth :)

Recording time: 4:40 min.

and another wrongly assigned line in this chapter, again, this should be colour-coded for Cyril:
'There's the Museum,' said Cyril hopefully; 'there are lots of things from your country there. If only we could disguise you a little.'
Sonia
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

I've got everything recorded except Chapter 13, which I can't open - I think the link needs to be made public?
Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Oops!

Thanks folks! I'll make those corrections today!

EDIT: Updates made and Script for Ch 13 made public! Thanks folks!
Last edited by Elizabby on December 14th, 2017, 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

In looking ahead, I see that there is a song for Cyril, Anthea, and Robert in chapter 7 which is sung in parts. Here's a good video of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjU3RrsKqK8 But it could be tricky to get this to sound good if we're not careful. I've found an ATTB arrangement of it on archive, here: https://archive.org/details/imslp-who-w ... bert-lucas But it seems like we'll want SATB, if we can get it. Now, I can generate and upload a recording of each part individually, so that, if we each sing along with that recording, we should all be pretty well in tune and in tempo. But I want to keep looking around to see if I can find PD sheet music in SATB. The text lets us know that Jane is the alto, though she isn't in this scene, so that would leave soprano for Anthea. I see that Cyril is being read by TenorBoy, which is awesome, but I'll never be able to sing bass, so maybe you could take bass and I'll take a stab at the tenor?

That's all assuming that I'm able to find SATB music. What do you think about this, Beth?

EDIT: Found it!
Last edited by mightyfelix on December 14th, 2017, 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I actually think singing is pretty hard - the timing makes the editing difficult and I don't know if all the four children will want or be able to sing. Usually we've just read songs as poetry.

However, if you have music and you want to sing, what I could do is just reassign those who want to, to sing the song and the repeat - it doesn't actually say in the text who sings apart from the comment that Jane is missing, so I think we have some latitude to allow those who want to, to sing, and skip those who don't.

I'm a soprano anyway, so that's no problem for me - I'd prefer sheet music though if you can get it - I sight read better than singing by ear, as I'm a piano player by training originally.

TenorBoy, you're reading Cyril - how do you feel about singing?

EDIT: Robert could sing the alto line as at his stated age in the book he's unlikely to sing bass either! We'll just leave Jane out and if her voice is missing I don't think anyone will quibble about which line "Robert" actually sings! SAT should be fine and would suit the voices we have.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Just thoughts from one who has no say - you would want to not make it sound too good - they are kids , it does say in the text that Robert can't hold a tune. In my experience it's hard to sound not quite right if you can sing, and the text does imply they weren't often :D

Anne
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Elizabby wrote:I actually think singing is pretty hard - the timing makes the editing difficult and I don't know if all the four children will want or be able to sing. Usually we've just read songs as poetry.
Normally, I would agree with you... It's just that the book seems to draw such attention to the music. As to the timing, that's why I figured I could upload an accompaniment track for each part. Each track would have a matching tempo, and if you sing to it while listening with headphones, the parts should stay together fairly well. I've done this for other projects that turned out well, so I think it could work.
Elizabby wrote:I'm a soprano anyway, so that's no problem for me - I'd prefer sheet music though if you can get it - I sight read better than singing by ear, as I'm a piano player by training originally.

TenorBoy, you're reading Cyril - how do you feel about singing?

EDIT: Robert could sing the alto line as at his stated age in the book he's unlikely to sing bass either! We'll just leave Jane out and if her voice is missing I don't think anyone will quibble about which line "Robert" actually sings! SAT should be fine and would suit the voices we have.
Here is the music. (Ignore the bit about memberships there. It's not required. The download itself is free and should start about 15 seconds or so after you arrive at the page.)

Also, here is some more info on the sheet music, just to be clear that it's all PD.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

annise wrote:Just thoughts from one who has no say - you would want to not make it sound too good - they are kids , it does say in the text that Robert can't hold a tune. In my experience it's hard to sound not quite right if you can sing, and the text does imply they weren't often :D

Anne
Hm. I hadn't thought of that. But they were still good enough to impress the court. I'll be Robert, and I'm pretty sure I can be sufficiently off-key.