OPEN[PLAY]Amends for Ladies by Nathan Field - thw

Plays and other dramatic works
Post Reply
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 13256
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » January 14th, 2018, 12:29 pm

soooo Frank is absolutely well portrayed here. I love the hilarious cross-dressing moments, you sound like a prim biddy :lol: nice falsetto :thumbs: Very entertaining. And then the switch to his masculine ego is also a very successful transition.

Acts 2 & 3 are already PL ok.

PL notes for Act 4:

> at 0:07: "I know you do not think I wish you dead" - you say "not wish I think", which is somehow a different statement

> at 0:12-0:23: "besides, your spirit's so opposite to counsel to avert your resolution" - this is repeated, you can cut out one of those versions

PL notes for Act 5:

> at 1:18: he that stirs first, [Draws and holds out a pistol.] I'll pop a leaden pill into his guts - you forgot to leave some space for the stage directions here

> at 2:27: "Health and all joy unto this fair assembly" - this was the very first line in this act. You repeated it at the very end. Did you maybe want to use that version ? You can either cut it out or put it in the right spot at the beginnning

great performance, thanks Chuck !

Sonia


Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 13256
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » January 15th, 2018, 9:48 am

thank you Leanne ! I'm deputy BC for the moment, so I'll put them in the MW and will PL later on...probably only tomorrow though. Stay tuned !

Sonia


Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 13256
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » January 16th, 2018, 2:42 am

ok, finished all of Lady Honour. Excellent job, Leanne :clap: I especially like the parts where you press your voice to be the footboy. The switch back to the lady when she discovers herself in Act 4 is excellent. Loved it all.

Acts 2, 3 and 4 are already PL ok. Act 4 is slightly above 92 dB, but Rob will adjust volumes anyway, so no problem there.

A few PL notes for Act 1 though:

> at about 0:15: lengthy speech missing: “Nay all the freedom that a virgin hath [...]A wife or widow to a virgin's life!”

> at 0:58: “Made him the exercise of my cruelty” – you say “excuse”, not sure how precise Rob wants it here. There is a difference in meaning, but the underlying message kinda stays the same, however way you say it. (so maybe this is optional)

> at 4:14: “This is our landlord, Master Seldom” – I have the feeling, you intonate this as if you were addressing Master Seldom, but actually the sentence is spoken to the others and she is presenting to them Master Seldom. I think you would say it differently then, with a bit of space between “landlord” and stating his name. :hmm:

> at 4:40: “Surcease our love too, and find new desert?” – you pronounce “DE-sert” as if it was the Sahara, but I think it would make more sense if she meant “de-SERT”, for “worth” :?

thank you, Leanne

Sonia

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 13256
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » January 16th, 2018, 2:55 am

silverquill wrote:
January 15th, 2018, 10:38 pm
Here are the few lines for Count Virro in Act 5:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/amendsforladies_countvirro_5.mp3
I'm so sorry, Larry, but you recorded the wrong count from the wrong play. :( I suspect you have used the Gutenberg version and there are several plays compiled together. Because of that, and to avoid confusion, Rob prepared google doc sheets to read from. If you check under Section 60 in the MW, next to your role "Count" you will find the link that leads to Act 5 and there you can see what lines you have to read.

I'm just relieved that your section was only 1 minute long, so not too much time was spent in vain. :(

Sonia

ChuckW
Posts: 2644
Joined: January 22nd, 2012, 7:47 am
Location: The Lonesome Crowded Midwest

Post by ChuckW » January 16th, 2018, 7:49 am

Kitty wrote:
January 14th, 2018, 12:29 pm
soooo Frank is absolutely well portrayed here. I love the hilarious cross-dressing moments, you sound like a prim biddy :lol: nice falsetto :thumbs: Very entertaining. And then the switch to his masculine ego is also a very successful transition.

Acts 2 & 3 are already PL ok.

PL notes for Act 4:

> at 0:07: "I know you do not think I wish you dead" - you say "not wish I think", which is somehow a different statement

> at 0:12-0:23: "besides, your spirit's so opposite to counsel to avert your resolution" - this is repeated, you can cut out one of those versions

PL notes for Act 5:

> at 1:18: he that stirs first, [Draws and holds out a pistol.] I'll pop a leaden pill into his guts - you forgot to leave some space for the stage directions here

> at 2:27: "Health and all joy unto this fair assembly" - this was the very first line in this act. You repeated it at the very end. Did you maybe want to use that version ? You can either cut it out or put it in the right spot at the beginnning

great performance, thanks Chuck !

Sonia
So the "draws and holds out his pistol" stage directions come before all of the dialogue in the document Rob gave us. Is there something I'm missing here? Does the Gutenberg version place the stage directions somewhere else?
Help Us Finish These Projects:
The Dream (Joanna Baillie)
The Book of American Negro Poetry (multiple authors)
The Vampire; or, The Bride of the Isles (J.R. Planché)

My computer died. Might be a little slow to respond.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 13256
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » January 16th, 2018, 7:56 am

ChuckW wrote:
January 16th, 2018, 7:49 am
So the "draws and holds out his pistol" stage directions come before all of the dialogue in the document Rob gave us. Is there something I'm missing here? Does the Gutenberg version place the stage directions somewhere else?
:shock: oh ok, Rob put it in front ? Yes, Gutenberg has it in the middle. Ok if Rob has it at the beginning, don't worry about that one. Sorry. But as PLer I have to check with the original text.

Sonia

ChuckW
Posts: 2644
Joined: January 22nd, 2012, 7:47 am
Location: The Lonesome Crowded Midwest

Post by ChuckW » January 16th, 2018, 8:16 am

Kitty wrote:
January 16th, 2018, 7:56 am
ChuckW wrote:
January 16th, 2018, 7:49 am
So the "draws and holds out his pistol" stage directions come before all of the dialogue in the document Rob gave us. Is there something I'm missing here? Does the Gutenberg version place the stage directions somewhere else?
:shock: oh ok, Rob put it in front ? Yes, Gutenberg has it in the middle. Ok if Rob has it at the beginning, don't worry about that one. Sorry. But as PLer I have to check with the original text.

Sonia
Maybe we should wait for Rob to weigh in on this? I don't mind re-recording, but want to make sure before I do.
Help Us Finish These Projects:
The Dream (Joanna Baillie)
The Book of American Negro Poetry (multiple authors)
The Vampire; or, The Bride of the Isles (J.R. Planché)

My computer died. Might be a little slow to respond.

silverquill
Posts: 7562
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Reading, Massachusetts USA

Post by silverquill » January 16th, 2018, 8:54 am

Wahooo! I've found another outlandish way to mess up on LibriVox! I like to sit on gum and run into glass doors too. :shock: Well, this will make a good joke on me for a long time.

Math was never my forte, so I'm not surprised I got the Count wrong. :lol:

Back to the beginning. But, what if I don't like the other count? :mrgreen:

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 13256
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » January 16th, 2018, 9:30 am

silverquill wrote:
January 16th, 2018, 8:54 am
Math was never my forte, so I'm not surprised I got the Count wrong. :lol:
:lol: thanks, that made my day
Back to the beginning. But, what if I don't like the other count? :mrgreen:
as far as I can see the other count is a sort of old lecher who is constantly coughing. If you are a bit under the weather right now, it will be the perfect timing to record him now :mrgreen:

Sonia

silverquill
Posts: 7562
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Reading, Massachusetts USA

Post by silverquill » January 16th, 2018, 10:11 am

I'm not even going to try to figure out how I did this, but the old coughing count is perfect. I can do that. 8-)

ChuckW
Posts: 2644
Joined: January 22nd, 2012, 7:47 am
Location: The Lonesome Crowded Midwest

Post by ChuckW » January 16th, 2018, 2:19 pm

I changed my mind. We should probably demure to the original text. Here's Acts IV and V with all of the recommended changes.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/amendsforladies_frank_4.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/amendsforladies_frank_5.mp3
Help Us Finish These Projects:
The Dream (Joanna Baillie)
The Book of American Negro Poetry (multiple authors)
The Vampire; or, The Bride of the Isles (J.R. Planché)

My computer died. Might be a little slow to respond.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 13256
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » January 17th, 2018, 2:37 am

ChuckW wrote:
January 16th, 2018, 2:19 pm
I changed my mind. We should probably demure to the original text. Here's Acts IV and V with all of the recommended changes.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/amendsforladies_frank_4.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/amendsforladies_frank_5.mp3
well even if Rob wants the stage directions in front of it all, he can quickly delete the space in-between. So we're covered in any case. Frank now entirely PL ok.

Thank you, Chuck

Sonia


Post Reply