DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Todd:

I have re-uploaded the files without the brackets. Here are the links:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cabinetminister_probyn_1.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cabinetminister_probyn_2.mp3

Sorry for the error.

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ScottKelley wrote:This is my first go of work like this, so if in your opinion I'm way off and this should be buried and long forgotten, absolutely no hard feelings. :lol:
sorry for letting you wait so long Scott, but don't fret. If this was your first attempt, it's not bad at all. And if you think you sound "strange", I can tell you from personal experience, the beginning in drama is the hardest, I also found it strange "acting" in front of a microphone (even though nobody was watching). But now... ehm....Todd, how many plays has it been ? some 2 dozen or even more later, I notice I am becoming more and more outgoing. And it's this evolving that's really fun. :D Testing your limits (there are none, as far as I can see LOL).

And most importantly: when you listen to your lines alone, they may not sound like much to you, but believe me, later on in an assembled act, you will be surprised how different they will sound in context. I have listened to so many drama files already and still I am riveted by the great outcome our readers achieve in the finished version. :9:

Well, now for your review:

I see you play the Earl quite dignified and dryly serene. 8-) I guess the nobs are really raised that way. Nice take on it.

Still he shows some stubbornness when he insists on an army career for his boy. And in Act 3 he is showing his disgust for Lebanon (who wouldn't ? :roll: ). And in the fourth act he is really trying hard not to lose his temper over his aunt’s dabblings in stockbrokering. This will make a nice contrast with my own lines, which I will deliver with less restraint. Kitty Twombley grew up far away from the nobs, so she doesn’t have their restraints. :mrgreen:

Well acted out, all in all. :clap:

And you definitely left enough editing space, thanks for that. This will be easy to handle for Todd.

No errors or missing lines, there’s only a couple of remarks, I’d like to make, for your future drama career at LibriVox.

concerning Act 1:

> at 0:03: please include the entire title in your voice credit: “Earl of Drumdurris (in the Guards)” read by Scott Kelley

> from 0:05 till 0:17: the Librivox disclaimer can be cut out entirely. Drama is handled a bit different than prose books. Todd, as editor, will cut out all your different bits and paste them in a master file. In the end, this file will get deleted. So no need to make a disclaimer, that will be recorded by the “narrator” of the play.

I’ll mark Acts 2, 3 and 4 already PL ok, as Todd can simply discard the intro disclaimer, so no need for you to re-upload a file that's otherwise flawless. All you have to do is give us a complete voice credit for Act 1. The rest is fine.

thanks, and I hope this whetted you appetite for drama :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

DrPGould wrote:It is my earnest and sincere desire that these are read with suitable probity to be acceptable.
Many thanks,
Yr. Obedient Servant :roll:
hehe, nice Philip to stay in character even after the show :thumbs: it happens to many of us LOL

so, let's see....Probyn.... Oooh he really does have a stiff upper lip. And I super love the nasal tone you give this character, he really sounds like butlering is in his blood. :thumbs: Well done. Is it just me or does he sound slightly annoyed in the end by all the people coming and needing to be introduced by him LOL I can well imagine that would often reflect real life back then :mrgreen:

Also: no errors, nothing missing. Great ! Acts 1 and 2 PL ok.

Thanks and I hope I hear you in another play soon….there’s still many open roles waiting, there's butler-jobs, if that’s your thing, but also others, in case you are thinking about a change in career :wink:

Sonia
ScottKelley

Post by ScottKelley »

I see you play the Earl quite dignified and dryly serene. 8-) I guess the nobs are really raised that way. Nice take on it.
Haha, you could say that! I can't explain why, but as I was reading the work and trying to imagine what the Earl would sound like, the voice of Silence Of The Lamb's Buffalo Bill jumped into my head, like in the scene where he is talking to the captive girl and saying "it puts the location on it's skin....." Something with an aristocratic yet subtle effeminate cadence. :D
Scott Kelley
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ScottKelley wrote:the voice of Silence Of The Lamb's Buffalo Bill jumped into my head, like in the scene where he is talking to the captive girl and saying "it puts the location on it's skin....." Something with an aristocratic yet subtle effeminate cadence. :D
to my shame I must admit I can't remember Buffalo Bill :oops: I have seen the movie but it's been years and I can't quite recall the details. But whatever your role model, the outcome was good.

Sonia
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Kitty:

Thank you so much for your kind words. The key to Probyn is in his name (think "probity" and also in the fact he is liveried. Likely an old family retainer--whose family has served Sir Julian's for generations and his whole reason for being is to take care of them. Thus they do not trifle with outsiders and Probyn himself has a face that is so heavily starched, that if he were to spontaneously crack a smile, his face would shatter. Absolutely and totally defined by the position of his "family" and his role in it. To get the appropriate vocalization I had to stiffen myself as tightly as possible and force the words through my lips. I'm glad I seem to have achieved the effect I intended.

I'll be looking for more roles. I'm sure our paths will cross again.

Many thanks,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

DrPGould wrote:Likely an old family retainer--whose family has served Sir Julian's for generations and his whole reason for being is to take care of them.
yes ! Just like I thought...his parents probably already butlered for the family and he grew up in the household, and took over from his father later on
a face that is so heavily starched, that if he were to spontaneously crack a smile, his face would shatter.
:shock: sounds gruesome. Well I hope your face wasn't harmed in the making of this drama
I'll be looking for more roles. I'm sure our paths will cross again.
please do so...a dead give-away are plays offered by Todd :lol: I won't be far then...and if you liked this play, there's a high chance you might like the others as well

Sonia
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

The Honorable Mrs. Gaylustre has appeared
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cabinetminister_gaylustre_1.mp3
Duration 6:20

Kitty, I've got you now. Try not to squirm too much.
:twisted:
Joseph, I've got a live one for you, I do. Don't make me get on the dog and bone 50 times before you can get your carcass up the apples and pears. Make yourself finally of some use.
:twisted:
Your dear sister,
Fanny
Le silence va plus vite à reculons.

https://librivox.org/reader/11772
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Sorry, Sis, gotta finalise an absolute waterfrontage real estate deal in the next couple of hours.

Because time and tide wait for no man. :wink:

Joe Lebanon & Co.
"Nobody Can't Prove Nuthin' Nohow"
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
ScottKelley

Post by ScottKelley »

> at 0:03: please include the entire title in your voice credit: “Earl of Drumdurris (in the Guards)” read by Scott Kelley
I unsuccessfully tried to add my new reading to the beginning of the recording. I'm hoping someone with a better handle of Audacity can help. I added the intro with the added "in the Guards" to the end of this audio track. Would Todd (or whomever) be able to edit it into the proper spot?

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cabinetminister_earlofdrumdurris_1.mp3
Scott Kelley
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Yes, I can edit that intro into place.

(I can't help with instructions on how to do it cuz I don't record in Audacity - I use a small handheld data recorder and upload the files from that to edit.)

Thanks, Todd
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Scott,

If you click on the spot you want to insert something, then hit the record button, Audacity will start recording a second track beneath your original recording. Once you've spoken your piece, hit the stop button. Highlight the part of the small second track you want to insert by click and drag (be careful not to also highlight the original track above this second track). Noise clean the highlighted part of the second track. Now CNTL-C for copy, click on the spot in the first track where you want to insert, now CNTL-V for paste, and it will insert the second track into the first. Now delete the second track underneath by clicking on its little X box.

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you all. MW updated.

Todd
ScottKelley

Post by ScottKelley »

SonOfTheExiles wrote:Scott,

If you click on the spot you want to insert something, then hit the record button, Audacity will start recording a second track beneath your original recording. Once you've spoken your piece, hit the stop button. Highlight the part of the small second track you want to insert by click and drag (be careful not to also highlight the original track above this second track). Noise clean the highlighted part of the second track. Now CNTL-C for copy, click on the spot in the first track where you want to insert, now CNTL-V for paste, and it will insert the second track into the first. Now delete the second track underneath by clicking on its little X box.

Cheers,
Chris

Thank you kindly Chris! I will experiment with this now! Cheers!
Scott Kelley