LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently December 10th, 2017, 9:05 pm


Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 12 of 17  [ 255 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next

Author Message
Offline
Post Posted:: September 28th, 2017, 4:38 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am
Posts: 8572
all right, it's a tiny bit late, considering I need to get up in 4 and a half hours again :? but well, soon weekend :mrgreen:

I wanted to finish my scene still, so here it is, if someone would like to PL it for me :) I think it's a very powerful scene :thumbs:

https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/winterstale_3_2.mp3
Recording time: 14:51 min.

and now...good night

Sonia


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: September 28th, 2017, 11:55 pm 

Joined: August 27th, 2015, 8:33 am
Posts: 1217
There's two lords lines in the middle, How bleesed be the great Apollo, I would just keep the first - there's "a crowd" of lords speaking but, who cares? For this, this is a moment of high tension and we want to keep the drama crisp. The dumbness of the officer on the other hand is a nice contradictory note. I can see why Sonia wanted to edit this scebe - it's all about her. Doesn't anybody care (about me)? The switch from Hermione to Paulina was excellent. You might almost thnk that was the author's message. By the way, when Paulina said she was very sorry for it (planning to spend the next fifteen years driving Leontes maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad) I, for one, did not believe it. Very moving scene with funny bits. There could be some milliseconds less of space between me and Hermione in the give and take of everyday marital banter, but that's a question of taste. PLOK (is that some kind of sound effect?) but look into thos two lords Blessed be Apollo at 8:14 or thereabouts.

T.


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: September 29th, 2017, 1:04 am 

Joined: August 27th, 2015, 8:33 am
Posts: 1217
I'll edit 2:3.

T.


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: September 29th, 2017, 1:53 am 

Joined: November 17th, 2016, 8:42 am
Posts: 304
Location: UK
I'll do 3:1

Cheers


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: September 29th, 2017, 6:10 am 

Joined: August 27th, 2015, 8:33 am
Posts: 1217
DPL, DPL, toil and trouble, Winterstale 2:3 in.

https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/winterstale_2_3.mp3

Happy fault-finding.

T.


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: September 29th, 2017, 8:16 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am
Posts: 8572
thank you guys, for helping out here :9:

Tony, I will PL your section soonish. Meanwhile, thanks for your PL feedback.

adonis wrote:
There's two lords lines in the middle, How bleesed be the great Apollo, I would just keep the first - there's "a crowd" of lords speaking but, who cares? For this, this is a moment of high tension and we want to keep the drama crisp.

I had a bit of a hard time to make them merge together, as Craig is speaking his line so much faster than Tomas. I thought letting them both speak one after the other, and right after that Hermione's relieved exclamation, would give it a fast-paced vibe.

I will leave it in PL notes mode for the moment. Maybe once Tomas has more time, he might have a look at it and maybe he can do the merging better than me. I would have loved to keep both voices in, but if it doesn't sound good, then probably one has to go.

Quote:
I can see why Sonia wanted to edit this scene - it's all about her.

haha, oh but here you do me wrong...I chose this scene because it had the most speakers in it, and I didn't want to shy away from the work, thinking, if I wanted to distribute the work around, it would be fair to do the biggest chunk myself. By that time I did not check yet, which scene it was and how much speaking time I had myself.

Quote:
By the way, when Paulina said she was very sorry for it (planning to spend the next fifteen years driving Leontes maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad) I, for one, did not believe it.

I didn't believe her either when I recorded her LOL and this probably shows in my tone of voice. I figured it was against her character to be so contrite now when she gave him hell just a minute ago.

Quote:
There could be some milliseconds less of space between me and Hermione in the give and take of everyday marital banter, but that's a question of taste.

I already cut a lot of silent space out between the voices, as you said, I also wanted more fast-paced to and fro. So you think I even need to cut more ? I feared it would be too hectic. But I'll note it and will have a look at it at some further point.

Quote:
Ok PL notes:

> at about 8:14: Blessed be Apollo - merged or cut out one of the voices
> Hermione and Leontes - maybe cut some more silent space between dialogue


thanks again Tony for the constructive criticism

Sonia


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: September 29th, 2017, 8:27 am 

Joined: August 27th, 2015, 8:33 am
Posts: 1217
The second edit when I do the total Act will pick up on any possible editing changes - as will your final DPL. I just mention it because it was there - and because it was in my head. It's not so much fast paced for me but they're at it hammer and tongs (Hermione and Leontes). Anyway, gotta go cook.

T.


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: September 29th, 2017, 8:32 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am
Posts: 8572
adonis wrote:
The second edit when I do the total Act will pick up on any possible editing changes

right...I forgot you will fiddle around with it in the final acts still LOL

ok, I will not mess with the spaces for now and let you do that later on. I'll only wait what Tomas will have to say about the Blessed be Apollos

Sonia


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: September 29th, 2017, 9:30 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am
Posts: 8572
adonis wrote:
DPL, DPL, toil and trouble,

:lol: nice pun !

Quote:
Winterstale 2:3 in.
https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/winterstale_2_3.mp3
Happy fault-finding.

haha, no fault this time, all perfect in my opinion. Ok if I had to say something, at 4:30: before Leontes: "Traitors!" - maybe leave less space here, the pause seems a bit too long. But other than that, all excellently edited together. I was pleased to hear both Craig and Tomas in two separate roles "talking to themselves" at one point and the voices are so distinct that it really is no confusion.

I'm not sure if this play should be a comedy, but I couldn't help grin throughout the ranting of the king. Somehow Paulina telling him her two cents worth enrages him so much that it's quite a hilarious effect, each time he explodes between the others' speeches. :lol:

I'll mark it PL ok, and maybe in the final act 2 assembly, you can think about that one space reduction.

Thanks Tony, well done !!

Sonia


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: September 29th, 2017, 10:03 am 

Joined: August 27th, 2015, 8:33 am
Posts: 1217
I am always talking to myself as I'm sure you know. I LUV conversations in novels, especially male/female fights. There's a great one in The Moonstone. I certainly enjoyed Leontes v. Paulina though he (apart from being an absolute ruler) stands no chance. I looked up that Traitors! in my edit and, I'll just say, that's part of my method (What's On). Maybe as a recording, you keep up the pace - but I see Leontes stopping, turning round the stage and addressing his men (rather than Pauline who's winning) - then he tweets out Traitors! (or anything ekse that comes to mind). Of course, other people might do other things. I remember when I did the flash Petrucio for The Shrew I said Come kiss me Kate (pause for kiss - sudden storming off instead) - we will be married o' Sunday. And the DPLer edited my pause! An well. Unhappy days. Glad you liked the scene.. I will say they have been good so far. That monster 4:4 - what can I say? It can't be split in two, can it? (Never heard of such a thing!)

T.


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: September 29th, 2017, 10:53 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am
Posts: 8572
adonis wrote:
I LUV conversations in novels, especially male/female fights.

me too !

Quote:
I certainly enjoyed Leontes v. Paulina though he (apart from being an absolute ruler) stands no chance.

yes honestly, he did sound a bit like a petulant ranting would-be tyrant LOL while Pauline was more aloof and to the point. :mrgreen: but reading the text, I really think that's how Shakespeare saw them as well

Quote:
Maybe as a recording, you keep up the pace - but I see Leontes stopping, turning round the stage and addressing his men (rather than Pauline who's winning) - then he tweets out Traitors! (or anything ekse that comes to mind).

ok you're right of course, on stage there would be pauses as well, even longer ones. Just they are filled with visuals, which we don't have here, so it sounds empty then. Maybe we could ha-hum or tsk make any raging roaring noises or whatever to fill the gaps LOL no seriously, I see your point, and it's not that disturbing, so we can leave it

I like the idea of Leontes tweeting to his underlings. Also later when he is giving this tirade against Apollo's fake news :mrgreen: Shakespeare was quite the visionary

Quote:
That monster 4:4 - what can I say? It can't be split in two, can it? (Never heard of such a thing!)

a bit difficult as we would have to download the entire files anyway. I will probably sacrifice myself and do that one LOL

Sonia


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: September 29th, 2017, 12:21 pm 

Joined: April 7th, 2016, 8:11 pm
Posts: 1247
Hmm. Regarding the "Blessed be the great Apollo" lines, merging them will sound interesting because Craig's is in the form of a question: "How blessed be the great Apollo?" and mine is the textual reading of "Now blessed be the great Apollo!" Sonia having them side-by-side actually creates a little call and response from the lords that, while not textually accurate, is still an interesting deviation.

If we had to merge them, we could either slow the tempo of Craig's line or quicken the tempo of mine. Very easily done; I use this method a lot when I have to combine multiple files for 'Omnes' lines. If the outputted file happens to be too fast, then you'd slow down the tempo until it sounds normal. Incremental changes will never alter voice pitches---I'm pretty sure that's only done with the Change Speed function, which I avoid.

So, do we merge the lines or just keep one? Or is Craig's question and my answer a textual change worth keeping? :hmm:

_________________
Tomas Peter

Currently signed up for:
La Bohème | The Mikado | Orra: A Tragedy | The Goddess: A Demon | One-Act Play Collection 10 | The Gamester | Amends for Ladies


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: September 29th, 2017, 1:27 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am
Posts: 8572
WiltedScribe wrote:
Hmm. Regarding the "Blessed be the great Apollo" lines, merging them will sound interesting because Craig's is in the form of a question: "How blessed be the great Apollo?" and mine is the textual reading of "Now blessed be the great Apollo!" Sonia having them side-by-side actually creates a little call and response from the lords that, while not textually accurate, is still an interesting deviation.

that's also why I did it this way round :shock: first I had your sentence in first and Craig's second, followed by me. But it didn't sound as good. Then I switched round and I thought it sounded great.

I know Todd sometimes doesn't merge voices but let's them speak one after the other. I mean, also in real life people seldom speak totally in-sync.

Quote:
If we had to merge them, we could either slow the tempo of Craig's line or quicken the tempo of mine. Very easily done; I use this method a lot when I have to combine multiple files for 'Omnes' lines. If the outputted file happens to be too fast, then you'd slow down the tempo until it sounds normal.

if you like to try this you can, but I will not touch this LOL Maybe wait for Craig's view on this and then the majority wins :D

Sonia


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: September 29th, 2017, 2:07 pm 

Joined: August 27th, 2015, 8:33 am
Posts: 1217
There's a kind of comic blend (kind of?) with Cleomenes and Dion just before, the Officer is FuN-Knee. So it could be deliberate to blend the Blessed Bes crassly together to add to the general farrago. Then the casual absurdity of Leontes' Fake News claim could come over all the more shockingly. The rhythm of C and D, Officer, Two Lords would work as soundscape - would it work dramatically. Query?

T.


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: September 29th, 2017, 2:12 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am
Posts: 8572
adonis wrote:
So it could be deliberate to blend the Blessed Bes crassly together to add to the general farrago. Then the casual absurdity of Leontes' Fake News claim could come over all the more shockingly. The rhythm of C and D, Officer, Two Lords would work as soundscape - would it work dramatically. Query?

so we let Tomas try to blend the Blessed be's and see what comes out. There is no hurry yet though. Take your time, Tomas.

Sonia


Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 28 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group