COMPLETE[PLAY]Love and a Bottle by George Farquhar - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote:Acts 4 and 5 are ready for final PL.
excellent Todd :clap: just finished Act 4 and I wouldn't change a thing (is this the first time I'm saying this to you ? :hmm: :mrgreen: ) Well, it's PL ok and wonderfully acted out by all of us. There's so many small dialogues here, and the chemistry of all the actors work so nicely together. A big central highlight though is surely the lengthier encounter between Roebuck and Lovewell. Highly enjoyable.

Act 5 has to wait for tomorrow though, too tired now and going to bed.

Good night :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and another superb run through with Act 5. Also PL ok on the first go. :thumbs:

Excellent finale, well done all of us. :9: Now listening to it all, I wonder if the audience back then understood the many-fold disguise-plot that has taken place here. Practically all of us were wearing different clothes at one point :lol: Would have loved to see this on stage. Maybe one day...

Two Acts left...

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Woo Hoo! Two acts in a row without a fix! Must be my lucky day!

I do like the way that Leanthe ends up explaining some of the costume disguise bits that supposedly happened off-stage - so they actually did not have to stage the disguised wedding scenes even back in the original days. Some of those changes just would have ended up as funny-strange-burlesque rather than as possible-to-believe-really-happened even in the world of the play.

Similar to the two overnight dashes back and forth to Paris to save the day in Dumas' Madamoiselle d'Belle Isle, or the rescue of the incarcerated Dean and the horse race in Pinero's Dandy Dick. They'd be great action sequences in a film perhaps, but impossible to stage comvincingly. So the authors have their characters describe the action for us - and I think the image created in my mind is great.

I started offering Farquhar plays here after seeing The Beaux Stratagem onstage. I'd like to see these other plays on stage someday too, but you know what? With all the great acting you all are doing in our audio versions, I don't think I'm missing anything! It is great to work with all of you, and thank you all again.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote:Similar to the two overnight dashes back and forth to Paris to save the day in Dumas' Madamoiselle d'Belle Isle, or the rescue of the incarcerated Dean and the horse race in Pinero's Dandy Dick. They'd be great action sequences in a film perhaps, but impossible to stage comvincingly. So the authors have their characters describe the action for us - and I think the image created in my mind is great.
yes they often did that, also narrations of battle-scenes. I agree, in movies, lavish scenes would probably take up the bigger part of the movie. I don't think I would enjoy that more though. I prefer the dialogue in a small confined space.
I started offering Farquhar plays here after seeing The Beaux Stratagem onstage.
why didn't you offer this one yet then ? Or was that before my time :hmm:
I'd like to see these other plays on stage someday too, but you know what? With all the great acting you all are doing in our audio versions, I don't think I'm missing anything!

I totally agree !!!

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I started offering Farquhar plays here after seeing The Beaux Stratagem onstage.
why didn't you offer this one yet then ? Or was that before my time :hmm:
Sonia
https://librivox.org/beaux-stratagem-by-george-farquhar/

Sorry - yes, it was before your time.... Good none the less. The play I saw was a modern Thorton Wilder version that was about half the length - I prefer the original.

Thanks, Todd
benderca

Post by benderca »

ok, ok. I know you've all been wondering: where is the Widow Bullfinch? Well, she's just been too busy batting around lodgers and whatnot to record and edit. On my behalf, I did take her on after the play was almost finished.

I chose a character voice that was hard for me to maintain, so apologies in advance -- while attempting to sound British, sometimes I slipped in an American "a" and other atrocities... :shock:

Here's Act 3 (including voice credit). Act 2 will be along shortly.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/loveandabottle_widowbullfinch_3.mp3

Have fun putting it together!
TJ
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

benderca wrote:ok, ok. I know you've all been wondering: where is the Widow Bullfinch? Well, she's just been too busy batting around lodgers and whatnot to record and edit. On my behalf, I did take her on after the play was almost finished.
you did a wonderful job in Act 3, TJ ! :clap: I love the sort of raspy voice you put on and I really have a fixed image of this widow in my mind now. You totally ARE Bullfinch ! :lol:

No errors found so it's PL ok. Only one note for the voice credits:

> could you give us the entire voice credit please: Widow Bullfinch, Landlady to Mockmode, Lyric, and Trudge ?

You don't have to re-upload, just insert it in Act 2 :)

thanks

TOOOODDDD: Act 3 is ready to be assembled :9:

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Okay, I'll get on it right away. Don't want my cross-dressing sister to get mad at me!

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Act 3 is ready for final PL. Love the way Lyric tricks the Bookseller Pamphlet!

Thanks, Todd
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

"Don't want my cross-dressing sister to get mad at me!"

Said the Dean of St Marvells, carefully smoothing a crease out of his soutane. ;)

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote:Act 3 is ready for final PL. Love the way Lyric tricks the Bookseller Pamphlet!
and my favourite scene here was the dialogue between Widow Bullfinch and Lyric. But it's so hard to choose, because all our cast is sooo good :clap:

Anyway, I only found one thing, that you might want to correct:

> at 2:41: (p. 49 bottom): “Leanthe, aside”. – I imagined that Leanthe would say the first sentence aloud to Roebuck “That’s the fitter cure…” I also say it with a deeper voice to play a boy here. Only then, after the hyphen, is she sighing an aside “The same dear lips….”. I’m also using the normal female voice there to convey that.

So I would cut the word “Leanthe” and move the “aside” till after “sore finger”, or maybe even cut it out altogether if you think the different tone of voice can convey it enough. :hmm: Or do you think she is saying the first sentence also as aside ? If so, I need to re-record with the normal voice, or else this will sound strange. Just tell me. :)

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I will look more closely at this tonight.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I agree with you, and eliminated the narration "aside" completely. I have done that a lot in the act, being sure to add some volume change to the changes in tone already done by our readers to make asides and alouds distinct.

Thanks, Todd

(I will be out of touch for a week. Carry on - politely, of course!)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote:I agree with you, and eliminated the narration "aside" completely. I have done that a lot in the act, being sure to add some volume change to the changes in tone already done by our readers to make asides and alouds distinct.
yes this is PL ok now :)

only one act left :9:
(I will be out of touch for a week. Carry on - politely, of course!)
I'll make sure the house is still standing when you come back :mrgreen:

Sonia
benderca

Post by benderca »

Kitty wrote:you did a wonderful job in Act 3, TJ ! :clap: I love the sort of raspy voice you put on and I really have a fixed image of this widow in my mind now. You totally ARE Bullfinch ! :lol:

No errors found so it's PL ok. Only one note for the voice credits:

> could you give us the entire voice credit please: Widow Bullfinch, Landlady to Mockmode, Lyric, and Trudge ?

You don't have to re-upload, just insert it in Act 2 :)

thanks
Sonia
Thank you so much! I am adding Act 2 with the (hopefully) complete voice credit.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/loveandabottle_widowbullfinch_2.mp3

Thanks for your patience, everyone!
TJ