[Complete] The Missing Formula by Ann Wirt - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kopikido

Post by Kopikido »

The Missing Formula by Ann Wirt (1905 - 2002).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-missing-formula-by-mildred-a-wirt-benson/

Orphan Anne Fairaday faces a life of poverty upon the death of her father. The only thing that can prevent it is finding his latest experiment. She enlisted her new found friend, Madge Sterling, an outdoors girl who has a knack for finding missing things. But they must race against time as there are also several people who will stop at nothing to get it first.
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/40033
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Ann Wirt) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mildred_Benson#Madge_Ster
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 15
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
  • Original publication date (if known): 1932
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================

Genres for the project: Action & Adventure Fiction; Children's Fiction/Action & Adventure

Keywords that describe the book: adventure, young adult, Mystery, treasure, sleuth, girl detective

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of The Missing Formula. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "The Missing Formula, by Ann Wirt. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of The Missing Formula by Ann Wirt. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of The Missing Formula, by Ann Wirt. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename missingformula_##_wirt_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. missingformula_01_wirt_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: Ann Wirt
Title: ## - [Section title]
Album: The Missing Formula

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Last edited by Kopikido on September 19th, 2018, 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

I will set this up for you. Back in a few minutes with the MW.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

All set.
Just a few things:
Do you have a DPL or do you need to advertise?
Also, when you get close to the end, could you please write your own summary? We prefer to do that than use those from some other source (even Wikipedia) to avoid copyright issues on even the summary.
Did you see that the author's name was actually Mildred Ann? I see on the book cover, it has her as Ann, so I doubt it makes much difference.
Any other questions, please ask.
Kopikido

Post by Kopikido »

Lynnet wrote: August 28th, 2018, 4:27 pm All set.
Just a few things:
Do you have a DPL or do you need to advertise?
Also, when you get close to the end, could you please write your own summary? We prefer to do that than use those from some other source (even Wikipedia) to avoid copyright issues on even the summary.
Did you see that the author's name was actually Mildred Ann? I see on the book cover, it has her as Ann, so I doubt it makes much difference.
Any other questions, please ask.

Hi Lynnet,
So far, no DPL yet so it's likely that we'll need to advertise for a DPL.
Thanks for letting me know about the summary. I do think that it's got heapful of spoilers so I would definitely write a new summary.
I am actually aware of the author's full name (I'm actually a fan of hers and have listened to the other audibooks here under her name which inspired me to record one myself) and I was about to ask you if I should introduce in the recording:
"The Missing Formula by Ann Wirt AKA Mildred A. Wirt Benson"
So that the other fans would be able to look for her other works here.
Thanks!

I can't wait to start recording this weekend!! :D :D :D :D :D

Mary
Kopikido

Post by Kopikido »

Oh and another thing, Lynnet!
In the other collaborative works that I've contributed in, I've incorporated some classical music into the intros as well as some sound effects (on minimal amounts) because it reminds me of the radio drama plays that I grew up listening to.
I'd like to ask if I'll be allowed to incorporate some of these into the project just to enhance the experience.

Thanks again!
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Lots to address there!

I have added a tilde to the title. That might attract a DPL. We'll stay on the Launch Pad a couple more days to see if one comes along. I won't put a formal ad in Listeners Wanted until you have a couple of chapters under your belt.

As for the name, it is largely up to you. If you do give her full name, I would only do it on the first chapter. Otherwise (and the route I personally would go) is to put her full name in the summary.

As for the music, please don't add any. it is against LV policy. Maybe whoever was BC in the other project was unaware of the policy.
This is from the wiki
May I add incidental music or sound effects to my recordings?

No.
LibriVox's mission is to make all books in the public domain available, for free, in audio format on the Internet. Adding music or other effects makes it harder for us to achieve our objective by introducing complicated copyright issues, adding work for our MCs, and by occasionally obscuring the reading of the text.
If you would like to add music or creative effects to your recording, we encourage you to send an enhanced version separately to another host such as Archive.org. If you do this by cataloguing time, your MC may be able to include a link to your creative version on the Librivox catalog page, giving listeners a choice. Please note: in the first few years of Librivox we did allow occasional public-domain music or sound effects to be added, so you might hear them in some recordings.
The only exception to the no-music rule is when music is specified in the text. This most commonly occurs when a character in a play or novel breaks into song. In this case, you may sing the song yourself, using a tune that is clearly in the public domain both in the USA and in your own country. (If you prefer not to sing, check with your BC -- it may be OK to simply read the passage without singing. If it is your own solo, it is your choice whether to sing.) Certain projects such as operas and song collections obviously specify music as part of the text, so special rules apply for the music used in those projects (see below).
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

I have moved the thread to Going Solo. This will not affect your notifications, but keeps the Launch Pad tidy 8-)
Kopikido

Post by Kopikido »

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Kopikido wrote: September 4th, 2018, 1:15 pm Hi ya! First chapter done!

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/missingformula_01_wirt_128kb.mp3
Time: 13:15.
Have you managed to access the MW? You will need to paste the link in the column marked "listen url" (and hit enter). In the "notes" column, enter the time. You have to actually save anything in this column... I'm sure there's a good reason, but I don't know it 8-) The status column is a drop-down menu, so select "Ready for PL". I will enter this first chapter for you, so you can see what I mean.
Kopikido

Post by Kopikido »

Hi Lynnet,
Oh, I actually don't know how to access the MW. Please tell me how to do it so I can upload the chapters.
Thanks again!!
Kopikido

Post by Kopikido »

Kopikido wrote: August 27th, 2018, 8:04 am The Missing Formula by Ann Wirt (1905 - 2002).

Orphan Anne Fairaday faces a life of poverty upon the death of her father. The only thing that can prevent this situation is to find his last experiment. She enlisted the help of her new found friend, Madge Sterling, an outdoors girl who has a knack of finding missing things. But they must race against time as there are also several people who will stop at nothing to get it first.
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/40033
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Ann Wirt) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mildred_Benson#Madge_Ster
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 15
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
  • Original publication date (if known): 1932
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

Genres for the project: Action & Adventure Fiction; Children's Fiction/Action & Adventure

Keywords that describe the book: adventure, young adult, Mystery, treasure, sleuth, girl detective

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of The Missing Formula. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
  • Say:
    "The Missing Formula, by Ann Wirt. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of The Missing Formula by Ann Wirt. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of The Missing Formula, by Ann Wirt. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename missingformula_##_wirt_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. missingformula_01_wirt_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: Ann Wirt
Title: ## - [Section title]
Album: The Missing Formula

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Kopikido wrote: September 4th, 2018, 2:34 pm Hi Lynnet,
Oh, I actually don't know how to access the MW. Please tell me how to do it so I can upload the chapters.
Thanks again!!
I'm not sure why I thought I had given you the instructions. Senior moment, I guess :roll: Here they are:

Accessing the System – First Time Login
1. Use this Link to go the main login screen: http://librivox.org/workflow
2. Click on Login (for BCs & MCs)
3. Enter your forum username.
4. Click “Forgot Password”
5. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. Click the link and enter a password and submit the form.
6. Go back to the main login screen and use the new password you entered above to log in to the system.
7. When you log in from the main screen above, you will be taken to the LibriVox Management Dashboard default screen where you should see a list of your active projects along with options for dropdown menus, searching and editing your profile. (more on this later)
For more explicit step by step directions with screen shots, please see Accessing the System - First Time Login
NOTE: BCs should use their personal workflow login to upload files. If you recently logged in with the general login to upload files to a project and the system still had you logged in, you may see this:
You don't have permissions for this area.
Return to Librivox Management Tool Homepage
Logout
To remedy this, click Logout and then login with your BC login and password.

Please note, this doesn't always work the first time.

If you are still having trouble after 3 or 4 attempts, PM knotyouraveragejo
cherylstewart

Post by cherylstewart »

Do you need a DPL for this mystery?
Cheryls
Kopikido

Post by Kopikido »

Hi Cheryl,
Yes, I am. And please be patient with me as this is my first solo project. (read: please be gentle with me!)

Thank you!!
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Cheryl added as DPL. (That means she also has access to the MW)