FULL[PLAY] Cupid's Whirligig (1607) by Edward Sharpham - thw

Plays and other dramatic works
RobBoard

Post by RobBoard » July 27th, 2018, 12:23 pm

Sonia,

Yes, you're clearly right about this. It's a typo in the original script.

Todd, if you're monitoring this, could you please record that one line: "What, have you never a pair of virginals in the house, Lady?" and upload it as a new file? Thanks! Sorry for the hassle: a closer reading on my part when I preparing the script could have avoided this.
Rob Board

Amends for Ladies by Nathan Field. New! A bawdy Jacobean comedy.
Cupid's Whirligig by Edward Sharpham. Another bawdy Jacobean comedy.
The Parson's Wedding by Thomas Killigrew. The 1st English play with an all-female cast.

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » July 27th, 2018, 2:57 pm

I can record that.

I am actually one of the few people you probably know that owns and plays a virginal. (The plural is correct just like saying a pair of sissors, but people have enough trouble with the fact I have a funny sounding piano anyway. So I use the singular, or just call it a harpsichord. Not to be confused with my clavichord.)

Thanks, Todd

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » July 27th, 2018, 3:28 pm

Here you go: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cupidswhirligig_exhibition_4extraline.mp3

(The instrument is called a virginal - or more correctly a pair of virginals - because "virgines" meaning "sticks" are used to pluck the strings.)

Thanks, Todd

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » July 27th, 2018, 11:25 pm

ToddHW wrote:
July 27th, 2018, 3:28 pm
(The instrument is called a virginal - or more correctly a pair of virginals - because "virgines" meaning "sticks" are used to pluck the strings.)
I think I know which instrument you mean. Isn't it the same thing as a cembalo ? :hmm: I remember this from our music lessons in school. It had a great sound.

Sonia

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » July 28th, 2018, 7:49 am

Kitty wrote:
July 27th, 2018, 11:25 pm
ToddHW wrote:
July 27th, 2018, 3:28 pm
I think I know which instrument you mean. Isn't it the same thing as a cembalo ? :hmm: I remember this from our music lessons in school. It had a great sound.

Sonia
Yes, cembalo is a name used for this - though often cembalo is also applied generically to any keyboard instrument of the time. Especially by English publishers who thought that cembalo had an intriguing foreign sound. Which likely makes scholarship very difficult....

Enjoy your holidays!

Thanks, Todd

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » July 28th, 2018, 8:16 am

ToddHW wrote:
July 28th, 2018, 7:49 am
[though often cembalo is also applied generically to any keyboard instrument of the time. Especially by English publishers who thought that cembalo had an intriguing foreign sound.
:lol: I know what you mean
Enjoy your holidays!
thanks. Still a few hours left before we leave. Will check up on this still tomorrow, in case there are last-minute PL jobs.

Sonia