COMPLETE[PLAY] Cupid's Whirligig (1607) by Edward Sharpham - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Thanks for the quick reading, Kristin!

All PL OK, except in Act 3 I noticed that I made a transcription error. At 54 seconds, you say "thou hast store of suits", when I now see in the original script it is "thou hast store of suiters", which of course changes the meaning somewhat. I apologise for my mistake. Would you mind re-reading that one line?
Rob Marland reader section | website
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RobBoard wrote:OK, Sonia - here is Act 1 ready for PL https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cupidswhirligig_1_128kb.mp3
excellent, finally I get to hear the performance of everybody in this play :9: wonderfully acted out, all of you :clap: Lots of funny double-entendres here :mrgreen: of course most of them delivered by Wages.

I enjoyed it. :)

No errors or missing lines found. I'd only like to mention one thing for consideration:

> at 12:34-12:36 & at 24:14-24:16: these two seconds each time seemed a bit long to me while listening. Even if the Lady is making a pause and then talking to someone else, as is the case here, I still feel 2 seconds was too long. But I let you decide Rob.

The rest perfect.

Sonia
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Thanks, Sonia. Yes, I left these pauses rather long. There should really be stage directions there, but we've got the script we've got and pauses seemed like the only option for making it clear she is switching her attention. I will keep an eye out for similar occurrences in the following acts and try to strike a balance.
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Last edited by RobMarland on March 31st, 2018, 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

wow this act sounded really good. I loved Tomas' performance here, first in the role of some sort of nitwitty lord (sorry but that voice doesn't sound too brainy :mrgreen: ) and then this grumbling elder gentleman. :thumbs: Nicely done.

But all have well performed. It was really enjoyable. :9:

Only one sentence that you missed to insert Rob:

> at 11:56: missing sentence from Nucome: “Indeed lady, I am a courtier.” We need that sentence so the reply makes sense.

Also, unfortunately, you had a bit of a transcription error here, in three sentences :( :

> at 18:48: Knight: “Minerva, born of the brain of highest Jove” – I’m pretty sure the original meant “Jove” (written Ioue) and not “love”, because Minerva was indeed sprung from Jupiter’s head and there was not much love involved. :lol: The line underneath mentions “love” indeed and one can see the difference between the capital ‘I’ and the small ‘l’.

> at 30:19: Knight: “oh thou powerful and celestial Jove” – same here, it should be Jupiter (Jove), not Love that strikes down thunder from heaven. Makes more sense ;)

> at 31:53: Lady: “Now Jove bless me.” same here, I can re-do the line if you wish. Although at least in this case, unlike the others, “love” may make good sense as well that's why it didn't strike me as strange when I recorded it. Now I wish I had checked the original before. :(

I just hope Jove is not mentioned too often in the rest of the play :help: Not sure whether you want to have it corrected at this point, Rob. But I wanted to point it out nevertheless.

Sonia
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Sonia,

Thanks for these finds.

I will check if I have Nucome's line: I may have accidentally edited it out. I suspect I did, because we PLed this part before editing.

Yes, you are clearly correct about Jove/Iove. In my preparation, maybe I auto-corrected every instance of this error without looking at the context. Jason hasn't finished reading the Knight, so I can ask for him to re-read the affected lines.

And yes, if you could re-read the Lady's, that would be great.

I have reviewed the script and the mistake only exists once more: for Cupid in Act 1.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RobBoard wrote:And yes, if you could re-read the Lady's, that would be great.
I'll do it tomorrow evening, then I will have quiet recording time.
I have reviewed the script and the mistake only exists once more: for Cupid in Act 1.
:shock: I missed that one in PLing. But maybe "love" made sense there as well, just with my lady's line.

Great these were the only ones. Could have been worse.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Rob, here is my single "Jove" line :) I think I managed the same tone of voice :mrgreen:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cupidswhirligig_lady-troublesome_jove.mp3

Sonia
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

MrsHand wrote:Here's the revised Peg, Act 3.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cupidswhirligig_peg_3.mp3
Thanks, Kristin! PL OK.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Here's the extra Cupid line with the "Jove" correction - I've actually done both lines of the couplet as I'm afraid the sound won't be quite the same after so long.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cupidswhirligig_cupid_extraline.mp3
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Elizabby wrote: January 12th, 2018, 11:41 pm Here's the extra Cupid line with the "Jove" correction - I've actually done both lines of the couplet as I'm afraid the sound won't be quite the same after so long.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cupidswhirligig_cupid_extraline.mp3
Thanks, Beth! PL OK.
jasonb

Post by jasonb »

Here is chapter 3. The others to follow soon

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cupidswhirligig_knight_3.mp3
Regards,
Jason (back) in Canada

20 Years in Canada, 20 years in Panama, now returned to Canada for the next stage of my life
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Thanks, Jason: PL OK.

And, Kitty: here is Act 3 for PL https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cupidswhirligig_3_128kb.mp3