COMPLETE[PLAY] Cupid's Whirligig (1607) by Edward Sharpham - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Sonia,

Yes, you're clearly right about this. It's a typo in the original script.

Todd, if you're monitoring this, could you please record that one line: "What, have you never a pair of virginals in the house, Lady?" and upload it as a new file? Thanks! Sorry for the hassle: a closer reading on my part when I preparing the script could have avoided this.
Rob Marland reader section | website
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I can record that.

I am actually one of the few people you probably know that owns and plays a virginal. (The plural is correct just like saying a pair of sissors, but people have enough trouble with the fact I have a funny sounding piano anyway. So I use the singular, or just call it a harpsichord. Not to be confused with my clavichord.)

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Here you go: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cupidswhirligig_exhibition_4extraline.mp3

(The instrument is called a virginal - or more correctly a pair of virginals - because "virgines" meaning "sticks" are used to pluck the strings.)

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: July 27th, 2018, 3:28 pm (The instrument is called a virginal - or more correctly a pair of virginals - because "virgines" meaning "sticks" are used to pluck the strings.)
I think I know which instrument you mean. Isn't it the same thing as a cembalo ? :hmm: I remember this from our music lessons in school. It had a great sound.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: July 27th, 2018, 11:25 pm
ToddHW wrote: July 27th, 2018, 3:28 pm (The instrument is called a virginal - or more correctly a pair of virginals - because "virgines" meaning "sticks" are used to pluck the strings.)
I think I know which instrument you mean. Isn't it the same thing as a cembalo ? :hmm: I remember this from our music lessons in school. It had a great sound.

Sonia
Yes, cembalo is a name used for this - though often cembalo is also applied generically to any keyboard instrument of the time. Especially by English publishers who thought that cembalo had an intriguing foreign sound. Which likely makes scholarship very difficult....

Enjoy your holidays!

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: July 28th, 2018, 7:49 am[though often cembalo is also applied generically to any keyboard instrument of the time. Especially by English publishers who thought that cembalo had an intriguing foreign sound.
:lol: I know what you mean
Enjoy your holidays!
thanks. Still a few hours left before we leave. Will check up on this still tomorrow, in case there are last-minute PL jobs.

Sonia
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Hi Sonia,

Sorry for the ridiculous delay. Here is act 2 for spot PL.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cupidswhirligig_2_128kb.mp3

See PL notes on page 9 viewtopic.php?f=27&t=65983&start=120
To summarise:

> at 11:56: missing sentence from Nucome: “Indeed lady, I am a courtier.”

I didn't want to bother the reader (who is a friend of mine and lives in another city, whose part I recorded with my own microphone) to read this missing line himself. Instead I reconstructed it from his other lines. It doesn't sound spectacular, but the only other option is to wait until I see him at Christmas and I think it's best to get this in the catalogue. It's in the edit at 12.06

> Replace Love with Jove in three lines.

The lady line is added at 32.04 and the two knight lines at 19.00 and 30.31
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

And act 4 for spot PL.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cupidswhirligig_4_128kb.mp3

Your notes are at the bottom of this page: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=65983&start=135

I tightened up those pauses you mentioned, and added Todd's line at 31.22
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

great, we're progressing :9: I will have a listen tomorrow for sure, today is a bit tight. But it's not forgotten

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

perfect edits all of them. What luck you had all those words to make up your friend's speech :shock: it sounds quite good considering how it was pasted together. :thumbs:

but why is there a difference of 10 seconds in my time-stamps and yours ? I hope nothing was deleted by accident :?

Otherwise both Acts PL ok.

Only one remaining. :9:

Sonia
RufusNight

Post by RufusNight »

Wow I might have been a bit more cautious about volunteering if I had realised how much Latin there was! Anyway, here is my stab at it - I have thick skin so feel free to give me any directions needed for re-dos :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cupidswhirligig_mastercorrection_5.mp3

Nigel
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

RufusNight wrote: October 11th, 2018, 1:21 am Wow I might have been a bit more cautious about volunteering if I had realised how much Latin there was! Anyway, here is my stab at it - I have thick skin so feel free to give me any directions needed for re-dos :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cupidswhirligig_mastercorrection_5.mp3

Nigel
Nigel,

Thanks for this, and sorry for the delay in PLing. A really good reading, but unfortunately there are a couple of errors. Could you fix these, please? There is no need to edit your changes into the original file: an additional file called cupidswhirligig_mastercorrection_5_edit.mp3 would be best.

21.50 You say "I answered him succinctly" when in the script it is "sufficiently".
22.09 You say "He was yesterday Master Nucombe the courier". In the script it is "HERE was yesterday Master Nucombe the COURTIER".

In the meantime, Sonia, I have uploaded Act 5. You can either PL now in the knowledge that there will be two spot PL checks once Nigel has submitted his edits, or leave it until later. Up to you, of course. I wanted to give you the option so you can decide what works best for you, time-wise.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cupidswhirligig_5_128kb.mp3

You will notice that I have moved a couple of stage directions so that they make sense with respect to the preceding lines. As you know, the stage directions are often printed in the margin and so it's not always clear where they should go. But I think in these instances it sounds odd if they are edited in somewhere else.

I also noticed a few errors in line readings that do not affect the meaning, and have ignored these.
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Dear all,

This is a quick note to let you know that I have changed my forum and catalogue names from Rob Board to Rob Marland.

Please be assured this is in no way an attempt to dissociate myself from my previous questionable dramatic parts, including but not restricted to Lord Dundreary in Our American Cousin. I will always be proud of whatever it was I was doing in that play.

Thanks,
Rob
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RobMarland wrote: October 27th, 2018, 2:52 amIn the meantime, Sonia, I have uploaded Act 5. You can either PL now in the knowledge that there will be two spot PL checks once Nigel has submitted his edits, or leave it until later. Up to you, of course. I wanted to give you the option so you can decide what works best for you, time-wise.
great ! I see what I can do, but for the moment I tend towards waiting until the complete act is in. But I keep an eye on this project.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Rob, I have listened to the final act now, and it sounds great !!! I especially love the gossiping women talking candidly about their marriage and husbands (and their first night :mrgreen: ) Another favourite was the episode in school when Correction is talking to the boys. But everyone was great and it's excellently assembled.

Here are a few notes for consideration:

> at 14:56: missing part for Nucome's speech: "a friend of yours, who most courtly and softly putting in his hand to catch me" - maybe it was cut out by mistake, but I think the sentence is incomplete without that part :hmm:

> at 21:50: you already mentioned the "succinctly" / "sufficiently" error

> at 22:09: also mentioned "He was yesterday Master Nucombe the courier". instead of "HERE was yesterday Master Nucombe the COURTIER".

> at 35:36: Nan's speech here: "Oh I repent it not..." I seriously think this should be the lady speaking, since she replies to the Knight's "remarried" question. And they are "doubly married", not Nan.
Since I was the lady, I already recorded that line, if you wish to switch it: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cupidswhirligig_lady_addition_5.mp3

> at 35:43: also here I think it should be the Knight replying, not Nucome. ("well since it is thus...") This dialogue makes sense to be performed by the Knight/Lady couple. Of course for that we need to get hold of Jason now... I can mail him if you wish.

Sonia