COMPLETE[PLAY] Cupid's Whirligig (1607) by Edward Sharpham - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

leanneyauyau wrote:Hi, I'm happy with any female role you feel would suit :)
Thanks, Leanne! I will sign you up for Nan.
Rob Marland reader section | website
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

*knock knock* am I the first in ?

Here's the first Act for Lady Troublesome. I hope this is how you saw her, Robb. I decided not to play her as the meek wronged lady (meek, that's just not me :mrgreen: ) Anyway, there was a great woman-power speech in the middle, quite modern, I must say.

Well, let me know what you think and whether I can go on like that.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cupidswhirligig_lady-troublesome_1.mp3
Recording time: 9:13 min.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Kitty wrote:*knock knock* am I the first in ?
Thanks, Sonia. That's great! I agree this is a really good role: she definitely gives as good as she gets. 8-)
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

I can read the narration, if you'd like.
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

ChuckW wrote:I can read the narration, if you'd like.
Thanks, Chuck, that would be great.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you Rob, now then on we go with Act 2. The intrigue thickens...

I included one sentence here, although it was assigned to the Knight, I think it should actually be the Lady saying this, considering the situation. I preferred to include it, it's easier cut out later on that added.
Alas, my Lord, what would you have? My love is not mine own.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cupidswhirligig_lady-troublesome_2.mp3
Recording time: 6:40 min.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

a shorty this time: Act 3

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cupidswhirligig_lady-troublesome_3.mp3
Recording time: 1:02 min.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and Act 4 also ready, this was a bit heavier to play out...

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cupidswhirligig_lady-troublesome_4.mp3
Recording time: 7:28 min.

enough for now, the final act has to wait for tomorrow

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Rob I am working on Act 5 now. Are you sure you want me to read those lines which are clearly intended for the Knight ? I seriously think this was a typo in the original and it might sound extremely strange for the lady to say these lines. Also a few lines later there is a speech which you give to the Lady, even though in the original it looks as if the knight is still speaking. ("Oh fainty tears and feeble hands...") I think the "Lady" was attributed wrongly in this scene in the first speech and should have been inserted in the second place.

Well I can try to be very sarcastic, still I don't think that's what was intended here and the effect of the Knight speaking his proper lines would probably be better.

Sonia
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Kitty wrote:Rob I am working on Act 5 now. Are you sure you want me to read those lines which are clearly intended for the Knight ? I seriously think this was a typo in the original and it might sound extremely strange for the lady to say these lines. Also a few lines later there is a speech which you give to the Lady, even though in the original it looks as if the knight is still speaking. ("Oh fainty tears and feeble hands...") I think the "Lady" was attributed wrongly in this scene in the first speech and should have been inserted in the second place.

Well I can try to be very sarcastic, still I don't think that's what was intended here and the effect of the Knight speaking his proper lines would probably be better.

Sonia
Hi Sonia,

This passage really confused me. I agree with you that it is likely to be a mistake, but later editions of the play preserve it. At other points, characters talk about themselves in third person, which adds to the possibility that this may not be a mistake. Anyway, I feel like we should just go with what appears on the page and do the best we can with it. Using a sarcastic or play-acting tone is the only way I could think of to make it not sound any more weird than it already does.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RobBoard wrote:This passage really confused me. I agree with you that it is likely to be a mistake, but later editions of the play preserve it. At other points, characters talk about themselves in third person, which adds to the possibility that this may not be a mistake. Anyway, I feel like we should just go with what appears on the page and do the best we can with it. Using a sarcastic or play-acting tone is the only way I could think of to make it not sound any more weird than it already does.
hm well, I'm not sure it's the best solution, but you are the BC, so I comply. I tried to make these lines sacrastic and with a bit of a deeper voice, and when I switch to the Lady's speech I am much more pleading, so one noticed when the charade is over, I hope. Still not too happy with these, so if you don't like them either, I could try them again. If you've got any suggestion what I could change, please tell me.

And then, what about these lines underneath this speech ? "Oh fainty tears and feeble hands..." etc, there you want me to read them, even though there is no "Lady" assigned to them, but they continue for the Knight's lines ? :hmm:

Well to err on the side of caution, I read them, and you can use them or lose them as you see fit.

Act 5, finished:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cupidswhirligig_lady-troublesome_5.mp3
Recording time: 4:36 min.

Sonia
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Thanks, Sonia.

I think we can agree that there were likely a lot of errors in the typesetting of the play!

My concern is that I want to abide by the "change nothing" rule, and in ambiguous cases such as this I prefer to err on the side of the printed text (the printer probably made an error, so we are simply replicating that error).

In the case of the next line, you note that it isn't marked for Lady, which would ordinarily indicate that the line should be continued by the previous speaker. But since the previous speaker has just left the stage and the Lady is the only person who remains, I feel more confident assigning this line to her.
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Thanks, Chuck: the narration is PL OK!

Sonia,

Acts 2 and 3 are PL OK. Thanks for spotting that "love is not mine own" line that was incorrectly given to the Knight. I am still in two minds as to what to do about these obvious errors in the typescript. Your argument is convincing me more, and I think I will have the Knight read that long line you have already read, so I can decide later...

There are just a couple of things to add to acts 4 and 5.

act 4
2.35 I hear "person's" instead of "parson's", which changes the meaning slightly because her metaphor is a religious one.

act 5
0.35 "let with me this chain". I hear 'me' and 'with' swapped around.
1.37 Sorry, I noticed that I missed out "thee" here in the script. Should be "I come to kiss thee"
2.58 I incorrectly ascribed a line that should be here to Nan when it is the Lady's: "Indeed I had, before I spent it amongst such unthankful persons as you are, Peg. But I prithee pin my gown close before: for it."

Also, the Boy is ready for PL https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cupidswhirligig_boy_4.mp3
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RobBoard wrote:I am still in two minds as to what to do about these obvious errors in the typescript. Your argument is convincing me more, and I think I will have the Knight read that long line you have already read, so I can decide later...
yes I think that's a good idea. I wish we would know of a modern theatre that already played the piece, maybe one could email them and ask how they did it 8-)
act 4
2.35 I hear "person's" instead of "parson's", which changes the meaning slightly because her metaphor is a religious one.
oh I actually said "person" because I thought it was a typo :oops: didn't get the religious meaning LOL I'll re-do the line
act 5
0.35 "let with me this chain". I hear 'me' and 'with' swapped around.
1.37 Sorry, I noticed that I missed out "thee" here in the script. Should be "I come to kiss thee"
2.58 I incorrectly ascribed a line that should be here to Nan when it is the Lady's: "Indeed I had, before I spent it amongst such unthankful persons as you are, Peg. But I prithee pin my gown close before: for it."
ok will do those as well...
sorry for replying so late, I completely forgot that I had to check your nephew and niece as well.

Scarlett: nicely read, I especially adored the rolled 'r' :lol: I can still remember your voice from Family of Love :) Flawlessly read, with needed emphasis on the right spots. The boy sounds a little bit mischievous, despite all his deferential "Sirs" he uses so often. :mrgreen:

Only thing still needed is the voice credit: you only say read by Scarlett G. and forgot to say "Boy, read by Scarlett G." Or maybe it got cut off in the beginning, as you start quite abruptly. It can happen that the microphone does not kick in immediately, I had that already myself and was mightly annoyed by it when I noticed my first word was missing.

But other than that: PL ok

Sonia