[COMPLETE] Modern Monologues by Marjorie Benton Cooke -lz

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

linny wrote:Hmm, less editing to do? Well, let me think a moment..... PLEASE and THANK YOU. Edit away! (I'm editing Huckleberry Finn as a DR right now and my eyes are burning) :lol:
Yeah -- I can't quite imagine what it would be like to edit the whole thing :shock:

Thank you ... I'll lean toward editing where I can and if you please, just let me know if I step over the line.

I'm not very seasoned at stage directions but here's one for review:
https://librivox.org/uploads/lezer/modernmonologues_narrator_5.mp3

If I try more of these, should I read everything that appears? For example, one sketch below just says "MAID .... FOOTMAN ... MAID ... FOOTMAN" (or something like that) repeatedly in a two character play, would those be read?

thanks Linny :D Hope those eyes recovered a bit ...
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
linny

Post by linny »

Hello Eva,
Narrator sketch 5 is PL OK. :thumbs:
One note for the future. Certainly not required. After you state your reader credit please leave ~ 5 seconds for me. It just saves me from adding in some silence before I can add in the other reader credits.
"MAID .... FOOTMAN ... MAID ... FOOTMAN" (or something like that) repeatedly in a two character play, would those be read?
Every DR is different. DRs are tricky. It's a balancing act between being strict with what the author wrote and horribly redundant. For me, I eliminate the redundancy if I can. For instance there may be a narrator line that says "laughing". If I can't hear that intent in the reader's voice then I include it. If it sounds obvious to me then I would drop the narrator line.

For the Below Stairs sketch I would just let the characters talk, especially since there are only two and the Butler is a male voice and the Maid is a female voice.

For action descriptions I would include the character; e.g. p111 - Butler, fans languidly with a paper. p114 Butler grins (if I hear a grin in the reading I'll drop it during the final edit.

I hope that helps.
linny

Post by linny »

If anyone is interested in PLing a final sketch I have one ready.
https://librivox.org/uploads/lezer/modernmonologues_05_cooke_128kb.mp3 12:56

If no takers, I'll advertise for help when we have more of them ready.
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

linny wrote:If anyone is interested in PLing a final sketch I have one ready.
https://librivox.org/uploads/lezer/modernmonologues_05_cooke_128kb.mp3 12:56

If no takers, I'll advertise for help when we have more of them ready.

Linny, I'll PL this tonight and post results.

Also, I'll take the stage directions in sketch 20 and 21 to help finish those up .... since Eva is editing those, she can add in my stage directions as well as my Jimmy!

Nemo
Nemo

Thoreau - “Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

Sketch 5 is PL OK Plus!!

Gosh, that was so much fun to listen to .... Linda and Tomas were just wonderful!

Nemo

(I'd be happy to PL any others you finish as well!)
Nemo

linny

Post by linny »

Wonderful news! Thank you!

That should be fun. You get to be a child and an adult in the same sketch. :thumbs:

Do you want MW access?
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

NemoR wrote:Sketch 5 is PL OK Plus!!

Gosh, that was so much fun to listen to .... Linda and Tomas were just wonderful!

Nemo

(I'd be happy to PL any others you finish as well!)
Thank you so much, Nemo! :D
Le silence va plus vite à reculons.

https://librivox.org/reader/11772
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

linny wrote:Wonderful news! Thank you!

That should be fun. You get to be a child and an adult in the same sketch. :thumbs:

Do you want MW access?
Sure!, that would be great ..makes life easier that way!

Nemo
Nemo

linny

Post by linny »

:help:
Anna,
When you have a moment, please add NemoR to the MW as DPL.

Nemo,
Yes, I will still PL parts. Thanks for listening to the completed sections that I edit. :thumbs:
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

linny wrote::help:
Anna,
When you have a moment, please add NemoR to the MW as DPL.

Nemo,
Yes, I will still PL parts. Thanks for listening to the completed sections that I edit. :thumbs:
Linny, you are most welcome!

Did I ever tell you, that when I first started doing DPL's that I used you as my role model?

I think one of my first projects I recorded for was Larry's Poems of South Africa .... you were such a good DPL'er that I got the nerve up to start doing it myself. You were tough but kind and always spot on!

Nemo
Nemo

Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

Le silence va plus vite à reculons.

https://librivox.org/reader/11772
linny

Post by linny »

Nemo,
That is very kind of you to say. I'm glad you are enjoying PLing. It's my favorite activity here at LV. Remembering what standard PL is can be tough especially on poetry. I'm glad you found me fair. :9:
linny

Post by linny »

Hello Linda,
Sketch 22 is PL OK. :thumbs:

With friends like that...my goodness! My jaw dropped when I heard this line, “We were talking about it the other day, and saying how strange it was that handsome men always marry plain women.” :shock:
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

linny wrote:Hello Eva,
Narrator sketch 5 is PL OK. :thumbs:
One note for the future. Certainly not required. After you state your reader credit please leave ~ 5 seconds for me. It just saves me from adding in some silence before I can add in the other reader credits.
"MAID .... FOOTMAN ... MAID ... FOOTMAN" (or something like that) repeatedly in a two character play, would those be read?
Every DR is different. DRs are tricky. It's a balancing act between being strict with what the author wrote and horribly redundant. For me, I eliminate the redundancy if I can. For instance there may be a narrator line that says "laughing". If I can't hear that intent in the reader's voice then I include it. If it sounds obvious to me then I would drop the narrator line.
Super helpful, thank you!

All righty then, can I take stage directions for sketches 14 and 7? And since 14 is done, I could just edit that one together before final PL if that's alright.
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
linny

Post by linny »

Eva, sounds great. Thanks for the help. :thumbs: