COMPLETE[PLAY] The Devil is an Ass by Ben Jonson - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
AprilWalters

Post by AprilWalters »

It looks like you had someone for Stage Directions act 1, and then no more? I can take over the rest of the stage directions, if you don't me constantly doing that "role". (Especially if you can use the original person's Prologue?)
AprilWalters
Not sure what I am doing with my life right now
Sorry for flaking out for 2016-2017.
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Mind if I re-claim Manly?
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

AprilWalters wrote: January 11th, 2018, 1:18 pm It looks like you had someone for Stage Directions act 1, and then no more? I can take over the rest of the stage directions, if you don't me constantly doing that "role". (Especially if you can use the original person's Prologue?)
I'd be delighted if you do the entire stage directions so they are all in your voice. But if you prefer not to redo Act 1 or the prolog section, then I will try to use what we have for that - if you can at least record the PL corrections for the Act 1 file (back one page from this in the forum).

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

ChuckW wrote: January 14th, 2018, 11:21 am Mind if I re-claim Manly?
Thanks.

Todd
unclejoe

Post by unclejoe »

Hi,
I would do Sledge if I may. Thanks!

3 Sledge, a Smith, the Constable, Act 5

joe t.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

unclejoe wrote: January 16th, 2018, 12:05 am Hi,
I would do Sledge if I may. Thanks!

3 Sledge, a Smith, the Constable, Act 5

joe t.
Thanks.

Todd
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

The first two Manly files. I won't lie: I had some trouble with Ben Jonson's language and am a little unsure about the quality of these recordings. But Manly says so very little, so a quick re-recording wouldn't be a huge tragedy.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilisanass_manly_1.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilisanass_manly_2.mp3
PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ChuckW wrote: January 20th, 2018, 2:04 pm The first two Manly files. I won't lie: I had some trouble with Ben Jonson's language
:lol: welcome to the club :mrgreen: yes, Ben Jonson is not so easy. But the trick is to make it sound as if you knew what you were talking about ;) and you managed quite well, I understood the scene much better hearing it now than just reading it before. So you must have done something right.

Act 2 is already PL ok.

For Act 1 I have two small notes to correct:

> for the voice credit, please read the entire character description as in the MW: Eustace Manly, his Friend, read by Chuck Williamson

> at about 0:53: (p. 273 bottom) - please insert missing line "Yes, sir."

> also it's a tiny bit below 86 dB, amplifying it a bit might not hurt

excellent job, Chuck, looking forward to the rest :)

Sonia
tolgangcrt

Post by tolgangcrt »

I will be free to take Thomas Gilthead
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

tolgangcrt wrote: January 23rd, 2018, 12:03 pm I will be free to take Thomas Gilthead
Welcome to this project, tolgangcrt (I hope you also have another name that's easier pronounceable :wink: )

I see this is your first participation in a drama here on the forum, so here are a few special rules to take care of.

> no LibriVox intro or outro required, but please start with your voice credit, in this case: "Thomas Gilthead, a Goldsmith, read by [your name/pseudonym]"

> then read all your lines in the play, the more dramatic, the better :mrgreen: if the stage directions mention "whines" or "giggles", it won't hurt if you incorporate that in your performance

> very important ! between each of your "speaking blocks" please leave at least two seconds of silence. This will make it easier for our editor to copy/paste your bits into the masterfile. A speaking block is also interrupted by occasional stage directions, so be careful to make a break there as well, this could even happen inside of a long monologue.

I think that's all. I'll sign you up, and wish you big fun "acting out". If you have any questions still, don't hesitate to ask. :)

edit: oh I see you don't have a reader page yet, so I need to know by what reader name you want to be registered. That can be the same as your forum name, or your real name or any other pseudonym. Usually it's what you will say in your voice credit. Please let me know and I can open a reader page for you. Meanwhile I reserve the section for you.

Sonia
tolgangcrt

Post by tolgangcrt »

Kitty wrote: January 23rd, 2018, 12:20 pm
tolgangcrt wrote: January 23rd, 2018, 12:03 pm I will be free to take Thomas Gilthead
Welcome to this project, tolgangcrt (I hope you also have another name that's easier pronounceable :wink: )

I see this is your first participation in a drama here on the forum, so here are a few special rules to take care of.

> no LibriVox intro or outro required, but please start with your voice credit, in this case: "Thomas Gilthead, a Goldsmith, read by [your name/pseudonym]"

> then read all your lines in the play, the more dramatic, the better :mrgreen: if the stage directions mention "whines" or "giggles", it won't hurt if you incorporate that in your performance

> very important ! between each of your "speaking blocks" please leave at least two seconds of silence. This will make it easier for our editor to copy/paste your bits into the masterfile. A speaking block is also interrupted by occasional stage directions, so be careful to make a break there as well, this could even happen inside of a long monologue.

I think that's all. I'll sign you up, and wish you big fun "acting out". If you have any questions still, don't hesitate to ask. :)

edit: oh I see you don't have a reader page yet, so I need to know by what reader name you want to be registered. That can be the same as your forum name, or your real name or any other pseudonym. Usually it's what you will say in your voice credit. Please let me know and I can open a reader page for you. Meanwhile I reserve the section for you.

Sonia
I'd like my reader name to be Caleb Tol, thank you!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

tolgangcrt wrote:I'd like my reader name to be Caleb Tol, thank you!
perfect, thank you. Here is your freshly created reader page: https://librivox.org/reader/12214
you can check there on all the projects you are participating in, and if you click on "Reader Section Details" you'll see which of your claims are still outstanding or have PL notes or are PL ok.

Sonia :)
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Here's the revised Act I and Act IV for Manly:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilisanass_manly_1.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilisanass_manly_4.mp3

Act V is recorded, but in desperate need of editing. I'm kind of disappointed to find out Manly has the last monologue in the play. I was hoping he'd just stay in the background, interjecting occasionally or perhaps lodging a complaint or two. I didn't expect him to get the final word (and might not have taken this role if I'd known that ahead of time).
PROJECTS
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ChuckW wrote:I'm kind of disappointed to find out Manly has the last monologue in the play. I was hoping he'd just stay in the background, interjecting occasionally or perhaps lodging a complaint or two. I didn't expect him to get the final word (and might not have taken this role if I'd known that ahead of time).
:hmm: why are you so against having the last word ? Especially because your performance is so well acted out, I think the play will be excellently ended by you :D

Act 1 is now PL ok. I made a note for Todd about the volume.

In Act 4 there is just one tiny thing:

> at about 2:00: the following missing lines from p. 319: “No, but wondering at your strange-fashion’d venture hither.” and “I think ‘twill prove a med’cine against marriage, to know their manners.” only show up at 2:17-2:30, could you maybe paste them into the right slot to make it less confusing for our editor later on ?

> volume also too soft here: only 83.9 dB

thank you

Sonia
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Kitty wrote: January 26th, 2018, 12:57 am
ChuckW wrote:I'm kind of disappointed to find out Manly has the last monologue in the play. I was hoping he'd just stay in the background, interjecting occasionally or perhaps lodging a complaint or two. I didn't expect him to get the final word (and might not have taken this role if I'd known that ahead of time).
:hmm: why are you so against having the last word ? Especially because your performance is so well acted out, I think the play will be excellently ended by you :D

Act 1 is now PL ok. I made a note for Todd about the volume.

In Act 4 there is just one tiny thing:

> at about 2:00: the following missing lines from p. 319: “No, but wondering at your strange-fashion’d venture hither.” and “I think ‘twill prove a med’cine against marriage, to know their manners.” only show up at 2:17-2:30, could you maybe paste them into the right slot to make it less confusing for our editor later on ?

> volume also too soft here: only 83.9 dB

thank you

Sonia
Oh, pay no attention. That's just my crippling self-doubt talking. :-)

Anyway, I uploaded the fixed file. Sorry about the mix up. I accidentally stumbled on some additional Manly lines in the middle of recording -- which is why they're out of sequence. I meant to fix that, but forgot.
PROJECTS