COMPLETE[PLAY] The Devil is an Ass by Ben Jonson - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
sacciotto

Post by sacciotto »

:D That's is my English version!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh, Sonia, you can't imagine how happy I feel right now!... I swear that I was waiting for every type of comment from you, since it's not that easy to get exactly who the character is like, even why I did not read the play.

You made my day once more, that's for sure! As I told you before, everything I do, I do with all my heart.

I would say I feel already ready for a solo! :lol: How daring of this Brazilian one!

PS: I live a few meters away from a night club, and the Carnival music is flying loud in the air... And I could do my recording job even with that kind of impediment. Yuppie!!!!
Many many warm hugs!
Kitty wrote: February 11th, 2018, 3:48 pm You intonate perfectly and you're really creating a character.
kwpapke

Post by kwpapke »

I'll help get this work completed - may I please be assigned the role of:

Ambler, Gentle-Usher to Lady Tailbush

Thanks in advance,
--Kurt
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

kwpapke wrote: February 12th, 2018, 3:17 pm I'll help get this work completed - may I please be assigned the role of:
hurray !!! thank you Kurt :9: I'll sign you up.

That leaves only one tiny neglected Keeper of the jail unattended before we are fully claimed.

Sonia
kwpapke

Post by kwpapke »

Ambler for PL. Wasn't easy to track down all the lines and had to go back and insert some I missed in the first iteration, so apologies if I skipped something.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilisanass_ambler_5.mp3 5:44

--Kurt
unclejoe

Post by unclejoe »

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilisanass_sledge_5.mp3 :29
with voice credit uploaded
thanks! aloha

Kitty wrote: January 30th, 2018, 2:44 am
unclejoe wrote: January 30th, 2018, 1:07 am https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilisanass_sledge_5.mp3 :23
Sledge uploaded. thanks!
thank you Joe :)

:lol: you are excellent here as Sledge, somehow making him sound like some bumbling plodding policeman. Well done. He did not have enough to say in my opinion.

Could you only give us your full voice credit at the beginning, then all is correct:
“Sledge, a Smith, the Constable, read by Joseph Tabler"

thanks

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

kwpapke wrote: February 13th, 2018, 11:05 am Ambler for PL. Wasn't easy to track down all the lines and had to go back and insert some I missed in the first iteration, so apologies if I skipped something.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilisanass_ambler_5.mp3 5:44
Kurt this is great and very very funny. You were right, he wasn't a bad-ass at all, more a sorry ass :lol: But I'm glad you took the role, now I see that your comedic side is just as developed as you "despicable" side ;) It opens up so many more opportunities....

Well, to Ambler now. As far as I can see, you did not miss any lines. And you got the comedy of the scene with Pug well played out. :thumbs:

However I have a few notes to mention:

> at 1:39: (p. 332 bottom): here you left no place at all for the stage directions [tells this with extraordinary speed].
Come to think of it, it might even be better not to interrupt your speech with this descriptive direction; but so we can leave it out, it would be cool if you could actually read the rest "with extraordinary speed", you know, like an excited guy who wants to get an embarrassing situation related quite fast, hoping the listeners won't listen too attentively, or interrupt him.
Of course, no need to get a knot in your tongue, and it should be understandable still, just a tiny bit faster would be cool, and then near the end, slower until you stop with a gasp :lol:
Just an idea. If you think this is not feasible, you can also leave a bit of space for the stage directions, but I think we could try to get rid of that one by acting it out

> at 2:01: (p. 333 top) "durst stir" - you say "still", which is exactly the opposite

> at 2:55 (p. 333 middle) "to satisfy my lady" - I think you cut off the final "-dy"

> at 4:46 (p. 334 middle) "he hopes to make one of these sciptics of me" - maybe the pun would be better if you really said "siptics"(instead of "skeptics"), since he mentions, he hopes he says it right.

Thank you for this highly enjoyable listen !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

unclejoe wrote: February 13th, 2018, 11:52 am https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilisanass_sledge_5.mp3 :29
with voice credit uploaded
thanks! aloha
thank you again, Joe, now it's PL ok

Sonia
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Sir Paul Eitherside, Version 2 is the down-pitched "male voice" version. The other one is the original (unaltered) file. It's the same recording either way, so you only need to PL one of them. Use whichever you prefer.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilisanass_sirpauleitherside_5_version2.mp3 (3:08)
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilisanass_sirpauleitherside_5.mp3
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Elizabby wrote: February 14th, 2018, 9:10 pmSir Paul Eitherside, Version 2 is the down-pitched "male voice" version. The other one is the original (unaltered) file. It's the same recording either way, so you only need to PL one of them. Use whichever you prefer.
;) well you know that I am not a fan of artificially altered voices, so naturally I prefer your natural timbre. And anyway, I think it sounds already deep enough. But I let Todd decide which version her prefers, after all he is the boss :mrgreen:

Regardless of what version, your acting was nicely done. I loved his constant assurance of "discharging his conscience" :lol: that's soooo lawyer.

Only one note to correct:

> at about 1:21: (p. 343 top) 6 missing lines after Ambler etc come in, Sir Paul still goes on speaking: "Here comes the king's constable, etc..."

the rest is all there :) thanks

Sonia
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Oops! Here's the file again, with the addition at 1:21. This is the natural voice version - if you want the other I can make it easily enough, but I always save the unaltered version in case of having to add any missed lines!

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilisanass_sirpauleitherside_5.mp3 (3:26)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Elizabby wrote: February 15th, 2018, 4:36 am Oops! Here's the file again, with the addition at 1:21.
oh that was fast ! Thank you, now all is PL ok. Nice addition.

Sonia
kwpapke

Post by kwpapke »

Kitty wrote: February 13th, 2018, 12:19 pm However I have a few notes to mention:
> at 1:39: (p. 332 bottom): here you left no place at all for the stage directions [tells this with extraordinary speed].
Come to think of it, it might even be better not to interrupt your speech with this descriptive direction; but so we can leave it out, it would be cool if you could actually read the rest "with extraordinary speed", you know, like an excited guy who wants to get an embarrassing situation related quite fast, hoping the listeners won't listen too attentively, or interrupt him.
Of course, no need to get a knot in your tongue, and it should be understandable still, just a tiny bit faster would be cool, and then near the end, slower until you stop with a gasp :lol:
Just an idea. If you think this is not feasible, you can also leave a bit of space for the stage directions, but I think we could try to get rid of that one by acting it out

> at 2:01: (p. 333 top) "durst stir" - you say "still", which is exactly the opposite

> at 2:55 (p. 333 middle) "to satisfy my lady" - I think you cut off the final "-dy"

> at 4:46 (p. 334 middle) "he hopes to make one of these sciptics of me" - maybe the pun would be better if you really said "siptics"(instead of "skeptics"), since he mentions, he hopes he says it right.
I must confess that I was quite befuddled by the stage directions and which lines were to be spoken with speed. I overanalyzed it and thought the passage in parens made the most sense to do so, but now that I look at it with your comments what you said makes total sense. I *tried* to read it as fast as I could in the redo, and of course chopped out the spaces with Audacity. Hope this works. Corrected the other faux pas as well. Let me know if there any issues with the new lines.

Regards,
--Kurt
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

kwpapke wrote: February 15th, 2018, 2:11 pmI *tried* to read it as fast as I could in the redo
:shock: now you're on speed :lol: this was even faster than I expected. I surely couldn't do it as fast as that.

Great, now we can definitely leave the stage directions out. :mrgreen: This guy needed to get this off his chest ;)

PL ok now. Thanks

Sonia
benderca

Post by benderca »

Kitty wrote: February 12th, 2018, 3:54 pm
kwpapke wrote: February 12th, 2018, 3:17 pm I'll help get this work completed - may I please be assigned the role of:
hurray !!! thank you Kurt :9: I'll sign you up.

That leaves only one tiny neglected Keeper of the jail unattended before we are fully claimed.

Sonia
And here's your one tiny neglected Keeper of the jail (Keeper 3) to fully claim this ole project:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilisanass_keeper3_5.mp3
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

benderca wrote: February 16th, 2018, 2:15 pm And here's your one tiny neglected Keeper of the jail (Keeper 3) to fully claim this ole project:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilisanass_keeper3_5.mp3
how cool is this !!! you dug out your Lewson voice to do a great keeper, TJ :9: Thank you so much. PL ok of course.

Looking back over those 4 keepers now, I think this scene will be totally funny, because there are so different voices/temperaments in that small group. Goes to show again, every tiny part is important for the success of the whole. :thumbs:

We are fully claimed !

Sonia