COMPLETE[PLAY] The Devil is an Ass by Ben Jonson - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

well done Bruce :clap: no errors and no missing lines.

I find it so funny that almost throughout the entire part, Shackles seems to be shouting in excitement. Well, it probably is exciting to see the devil bomb down your working place :help: not something you experience every day. So, excellently played out here.

PL ok

Sonia
Hugabug008

Post by Hugabug008 »

Yay! My 1 Minute Test has been approved :)
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Hugabug008 wrote:Yay! My 1 Minute Test has been approved :)
Great. I have made your claims in the MW real. Have fun with this.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thanks Leanne, Lady Eitherside nicely acted out :thumbs: I can mark the short Act 5 already PL ok.

In Act 4 I found two small issues:

> at 2:54: missing part of sentence (p. 324) "And sounds, methinks, ..."

> the volume is a bit above the limit 93.1 dB. Maybe you could de-amplify a little bit, since you are to make one correction anyway

that's all, thanks !

Sonia
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thanks Leanne :) nicely edited, sound is basically identical :thumbs: Volume correct too now.

PL ok now

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Satan act 1 - complete this time hopefully!

Some of the sentences in this are so convoluted and so oddly punctuated that I am not sure I got the correct meaning or phrasing. I can always try to redo any bits that you do not think make sense. Also I think in got the filename wrong last time.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilisanass_satan_1.mp3

Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote:Satan act 1 - complete this time hopefully! Some of the sentences in this are so convoluted and so oddly punctuated that I am not sure I got the correct meaning or phrasing. I can always try to redo any bits that you do not think make sense.
yes it's complete now !!! Thanks Alan. And I think you intonated it all quite well. The few bits that were a bit obscure to me, I don't think it was your fault, but the strange text's LOL (what's with the number 616 at the beginning ? :hmm: )

My favourite part is when the Devil makes a pregnant pause before telling Pug he can go to London one day but needs to get a body from there. I think he already knew by then that Pug would make a mess of it and I can almost hear you smirk there. :mrgreen:

This is PL ok now :thumbs: will update MW with new link

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

I think the reference to 616 must be a misprint for "the year sixteen hundred and sixteen", the year in which the play was first performed.
In medievil superstition certain numbers which included 6 were thought to be portents of misfortune (666 was called the Devil's number). So the year 1616 was thought to be one that might bring misfortune. In the same way when the great fire of London broke out in 1666, superstitious people said it was the work of the Devil or a punishment for people's sins.

Thank you for rapid PL, on to act 5.
Alan
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote:I think the reference to 616 must be a misprint for "the year sixteen hundred and sixteen", the year in which the play was first performed.
ok that makes sense, maybe it was a typo :hmm: Would indeed make more sense to say 1616 then.

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thanks.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

great final speech for the Devil, Alan :clap: You are really being cynical and mocking here of our poor little Pug. Loved this interpretation.

If I had to say something, I would cut some longer pauses down a bit in some places. The silence went on a bit too long for my taste, but that's personal taste of course. Anyway, the final editing job lies in Todd's capable hands, so I'm sure he will fiddle around with that as he sees fit. Nothing to change here for the moment. PL ok.

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Hi Sonia

Thanks for usual rapid PL, other projects can take weeks.
I deliberately leave pauses in long speeches as I think this how it would be done on stage with actors pausing for effect. Personally I feel that many readers, when recording, read too rapidly.
As you say the final decision rests with Todd, but I also suspect that it is quicker and easier for an editor to close gaps than to insert them.
Alan