COMPLETE[PLAY] The Devil is an Ass by Ben Jonson - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Great. Love that voice - perfect for the part.

Draft of act 3 now ready (again without stage directions). Still not ready for PL.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

:oops: I'm always ashamed when I miss a spot... and now I'm even too late to spot PL. Sorry.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

One small phrase missed out of what will end up over 4 hours long? I think your record is still enviable around here!

(By the way, I see that Gutenberg has some Jonson so we won't have to use that Archive scanned book copy for the next play of his.)

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: February 24th, 2018, 3:08 pm One small phrase missed out of what will end up over 4 hours long? I think your record is still enviable around here!
yes of course, if you see it like this...
(By the way, I see that Gutenberg has some Jonson so we won't have to use that Archive scanned book copy for the next play of his.)
now that's good news :lol: it was a bit hard scrolling through this text what feels like a hundred times already.

So more Jonson in the near future ?

Sonia
sawasawaya

Post by sawasawaya »

I'll take on Stage Directions, 1-5.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

sawasawaya wrote: February 25th, 2018, 7:58 am I'll take on Stage Directions, 1-5.
Great!

Thanks, Todd
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

If you are thinking of more Jonson can I suggest Every Man in his Humour. Saw it at Stratford years ago and thought it was an interesting play about the way peoples behaviour is governed by their bodily "humours", spleen, bile, blood etc.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: February 25th, 2018, 9:30 am If you are thinking of more Jonson can I suggest Every Man in his Humour. Saw it at Stratford years ago and thought it was an interesting play about the way peoples behaviour is governed by their bodily "humours", spleen, bile, blood etc.
I know that one !!! we had it at university in one of our English courses. Yes that was a funny one. :lol:

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

This is complicated. There are two versions of "Every Man in His Humor" at Gutenberg: an early Italian version and then an Anglicized version.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3694 - supposedly Shakespeare's company presented it in 1598 and Shakespeare acted a role in it.
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/5333 - revised and Anglicized for publication in 1616

And Jonson wrote another play called "Every Man Out of His Humor"

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3695 - in 1599

So with one suggestion I now have three plays to do. I'll do the middle one first (maybe, maybe not).

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: February 25th, 2018, 10:28 am And Jonson wrote another play called "Every Man Out of His Humor"
oh you may even be right, the play was called "out" of his humour. :hmm: I think it may even have been a satire on the original "in" his humour, come to think of it. It's been years since I have read it, I can't really recall details.

Sonia
sawasawaya

Post by sawasawaya »

Stage directions for Act 3, for PL.
4:15
checker says volume 89.2

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilisanass_stagedirections_3.mp3

Also, I have a few questions for my editing. When I need to name a character with "aside and exit," I'm assuming that I separate that into two, as "John Doe aside" would come before John speaks, and "exit" would come after. Correct?

And also, when character X "whispers him," I'm saying that as "X whispers to him." I know stage directions are meant to guide the actors, but I feel I'm describing for the listeners. Is that okay?

Just to verify, at the bottom of page 284 (Act 2, Scene 1), Trains has just left, and I'm pretty sure that's *Engine's* "Aside to Fitzdottrel," isn't it? Not Meercraft's?

Thanks in advance! :)
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thanks. In the MW for PL.
sawasawaya wrote: March 3rd, 2018, 8:17 pm Also, I have a few questions for my editing. When I need to name a character with "aside and exit," I'm assuming that I separate that into two, as "John Doe aside" would come before John speaks, and "exit" would come after. Correct?
I agree. It is a nuisance that the script put the "aside" after the character has spoken, but what you suggest to move the "aside" first will make it much clearer for a listener. (In some cases if it is clear from the way the character has been spoken by the reader, I may delete the "aside" when I edit.)
sawasawaya wrote: March 3rd, 2018, 8:17 pm And also, when character X "whispers him," I'm saying that as "X whispers to him." I know stage directions are meant to guide the actors, but I feel I'm describing for the listeners. Is that okay?
Yes, that is okay, but it would also be fine to leave the "to" out. "Whispers him" without the "to" is a bit archaic, but I think the meaning will still be clear to a listener.
sawasawaya wrote: March 3rd, 2018, 8:17 pm Just to verify, at the bottom of page 284 (Act 2, Scene 1), Trains has just left, and I'm pretty sure that's *Engine's* "Aside to Fitzdottrel," isn't it? Not Meercraft's?

Yes, it is Engine. There are a number of places in this play where characters speak to each other with lines labeled "aside" which seems strange - normally "aside" is used for a character speaking under their breath to themselves (and of course the audience). I might delete some of the "asides when I edit, but please record them so I can decide later.

Thanks, Todd
sawasawaya

Post by sawasawaya »

[quote=ToddHW post_id=1444803 time=1520134528 user_id=49028]
Yes, that is okay, but it would also be fine to leave the "to" out. "Whispers him" without the "to" is a bit archaic, but I think the meaning will still be clear to a listener.[/quote]

I've recorded it both ways. Do you have a preference for which version I leave in my edited file? Should I leave both versions and let you pick in your final edit?

(Thanks for the responses. It's my first time doing stage directions, so I'm still feeling my way.)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

sawasawaya wrote: March 3rd, 2018, 8:17 pm Stage directions for Act 3, for PL.
:9: the moment we all waited for. The stage directions are coming in. Thank you SO MUCH ! You don't know how much I was looking forward to this. And the best is, your level of precision is excellent. I found no errors whatsoever and it is beautifully narrated, even with the occasional "emotion" which is always great, when the narrator is part of the play. If this was your first time narrating, I compliment you on your efficiency. :thumbs:

I can mark this PL ok and Todd can start assembling 8-)

Regarding the asides, here is a note though. I agree, they are tricky sometimes and I wasn't sure if maybe one or two would have to be put at the beginning of the speech. I think those 4 may need to be in front:

> at 1:25: Meercraft aside to Fitzdottrel
> at 2:46: Meercraft aside
> at 5:53 & 5:57: Pug aside

so here we would need "Meercraft" and "Pug" being said as well. But, I let Todd decide on that when he edits it together. And since you did say Meercraft and Pug a couple of times already, I think you need not redo it for this time. If Todd thinks they need to be edited in, he can copy them from another spot. A nice example of Pug to use is right after 2:23 and Meercraft can be found at 0:42.

But maybe for the next acts, when in doubt, please also say the name of the character with the "aside", to make the choice easier for Todd. Maybe leave a bit of space between name and aside, so in case it's not needed, it can easily be cut out.

Thank you, and looking forward to the rest.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

sawasawaya wrote: March 3rd, 2018, 11:04 pm
ToddHW wrote: March 3rd, 2018, 8:35 pm Yes, that is okay, but it would also be fine to leave the "to" out. "Whispers him" without the "to" is a bit archaic, but I think the meaning will still be clear to a listener.
I've recorded it both ways. Do you have a preference for which version I leave in my edited file? Should I leave both versions and let you pick in your final edit?

(Thanks for the responses. It's my first time doing stage directions, so I'm still feeling my way.)
Normally I push readers to make their own selection, but here in stage directions it is best when there is a question to do both. I won't have a preference until well into the editing process. (And now I can edit ACT 3.)

Thanks