COMPLETE[PLAY] The Devil is an Ass by Ben Jonson - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
tolgangcrt
Posts: 10
Joined: January 21st, 2018, 6:59 am

Post by tolgangcrt » February 18th, 2018, 12:05 pm

Good Afternoon, Beautiful People!
A particularly flamboyant goldsmith has just seen his first draft finished. Here are the files for Thomas Gilthead in Acts 1 and 5. Thank you!
Caleb.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilisanass_gilthead_3.mp3

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilisanass_gilthead_5.mp3

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 12662
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » February 18th, 2018, 12:06 pm

tolgangcrt wrote:
February 18th, 2018, 12:05 pm
Good Afternoon, Beautiful People!
A particularly flamboyant goldsmith has just seen his first draft finished. Here are the files for Thomas Gilthead in Acts 1 and 5. Thank you!
Caleb.
thank you Caleb ! I will have a listen to this immediately and will give you feedback shortly, stay tuned !

Sonia

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 12662
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » February 18th, 2018, 12:48 pm

tolgangcrt wrote:
February 18th, 2018, 12:05 pm
A particularly flamboyant goldsmith has just seen his first draft finished. Here are the files for Thomas Gilthead in Acts 1 and 5. Thank you!
first of all the good news ! You are right, your Gilthead is absolutely peacock flamboyant :lol: excellent portrayal. I can just picture the way he is dressed on stage with lots of shawls and glitter etc. Wonderful. You are a great comedian and I am glad you found your way into our drama forum :9:

Now for my notes...

first a general note concerning volume. Both your files are quite over our accepted limit (86-92 dB) Yours are around 93 dB. Luckily no clipping has occured, so no sound distortion, but be careful with your volume for further recordings. Since you have to re-record some parts in your files, could you also please decrease your volume with about -3 dB. That would make it more into our desired average of 89 dB.

For Act 5, all is perfectly acted out, but there is a line missing right at the end:

> after 1:00: p. 344 (middle): missing line: "You do well, Sir."

For Act 3, there is a bit of a sound problem. I felt dizzy while listening to the first minute of the recording. I don't know how it happened, but for some reason, your Act 5 recording got merged with your Act 3 recording :shock: so for the first minute I hear BOTH recordings, often at the same time. That means, your first big speech unfortunately is unusable.

> at 0:09: (p. 299 top) "All this to make you a gentleman...(etc) 14 lines need to be re-recorded. Unless you still kept your raw Audacity file and there you have the unmerged lines.

Luckily Act 5 was barely 1 minute long, so from 0:50 onward, Act 3 is untainted by merging. The rest of the performance is really super :thumbs: Only this first part needs to be corrected. And hopefully you find out what went wrong :? so that it won't happen again.

Thank you in any case, I really really like to hear you in plenty of other dramas still ! 8-)

Sonia

benderca
Posts: 525
Joined: June 24th, 2017, 12:55 pm

Post by benderca » February 18th, 2018, 2:05 pm

Kitty wrote:
February 17th, 2018, 2:42 am
benderca wrote:
February 16th, 2018, 2:15 pm
And here's your one tiny neglected Keeper of the jail (Keeper 3) to fully claim this ole project:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilisanass_keeper3_5.mp3
how cool is this !!! you dug out your Lewson voice to do a great keeper, TJ :9: Thank you so much. PL ok of course.
lol! Lewson as comic relief! You're very welcome.
Kitty wrote:
February 17th, 2018, 2:42 am
Looking back over those 4 keepers now, I think this scene will be totally funny, because there are so different voices/temperaments in that small group. Goes to show again, every tiny part is important for the success of the whole. :thumbs:
Totally agree! This will be a funny scene.

And it's great for me -- for only a few minutes work, I get to be indexed with all the LV A-list celebrities that appear in this play. I have to admit, I'm a little star-struck just looking at this cast list... :D

tolgangcrt
Posts: 10
Joined: January 21st, 2018, 6:59 am

Post by tolgangcrt » February 18th, 2018, 5:51 pm

Kitty wrote:
February 18th, 2018, 12:48 pm
tolgangcrt wrote:
February 18th, 2018, 12:05 pm
A particularly flamboyant goldsmith has just seen his first draft finished. Here are the files for Thomas Gilthead in Acts 1 and 5. Thank you!
first of all the good news ! You are right, your Gilthead is absolutely peacock flamboyant :lol: excellent portrayal. I can just picture the way he is dressed on stage with lots of shawls and glitter etc. Wonderful. You are a great comedian and I am glad you found your way into our drama forum :9:

Now for my notes...

first a general note concerning volume. Both your files are quite over our accepted limit (86-92 dB) Yours are around 93 dB. Luckily no clipping has occured, so no sound distortion, but be careful with your volume for further recordings. Since you have to re-record some parts in your files, could you also please decrease your volume with about -3 dB. That would make it more into our desired average of 89 dB.

For Act 5, all is perfectly acted out, but there is a line missing right at the end:

> after 1:00: p. 344 (middle): missing line: "You do well, Sir."

For Act 3, there is a bit of a sound problem. I felt dizzy while listening to the first minute of the recording. I don't know how it happened, but for some reason, your Act 5 recording got merged with your Act 3 recording :shock: so for the first minute I hear BOTH recordings, often at the same time. That means, your first big speech unfortunately is unusable.

> at 0:09: (p. 299 top) "All this to make you a gentleman...(etc) 14 lines need to be re-recorded. Unless you still kept your raw Audacity file and there you have the unmerged lines.

Luckily Act 5 was barely 1 minute long, so from 0:50 onward, Act 3 is untainted by merging. The rest of the performance is really super :thumbs: Only this first part needs to be corrected. And hopefully you find out what went wrong :? so that it won't happen again.

Thank you in any case, I really really like to hear you in plenty of other dramas still ! 8-)

Sonia
Hey again!
Thank you so much for all the helpful comments! I am so sorry about the fiasco with exporting but luckily I like to keep all my raw files so fixing it wasn't much of a problem. Unfortunately, I have no way right now of checking levels for myself, as I cannot download the ever-so-helpful level checker on the computer I usually work on, but for now, at least, I deamplified the noise, so it should be within the acceptable range. Recorded that last line as well. Everything is uploaded under the same name so the previous links should work as well as those below. If there is any suggestion to a way that I can check the levels of my clips without installing an .exe, that would be lovely. Anyway, here you are!
Caleb.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilisanass_gilthead_3.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilisanass_gilthead_5.mp3

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 7186
Joined: August 14th, 2011, 4:24 am
Contact:

Post by ToddHW » February 18th, 2018, 6:14 pm

Thanks.

Todd

WiltedScribe
Posts: 1719
Joined: April 7th, 2016, 8:11 pm

Post by WiltedScribe » February 18th, 2018, 7:02 pm

'Tis a shame the person who volunteered for the stage directions hasn't been seen for over a month. :? Otherwise they could've been knocked out and this would be ten steps closer to the catalog. Maybe someone else can be found to do the stage directions quicker.
Tomas Peter

Currently signed up for:
The Goddess | Amends for Ladies | Adelgitha | Dave Brings Home a Wife | Trelawny of the Wells | An Ideal Husband | The Vampire

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 12662
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » February 19th, 2018, 1:14 am

tolgangcrt wrote:I am so sorry about the fiasco with exporting but luckily I like to keep all my raw files so fixing it wasn't much of a problem.
:thumbs: great, that's a relief ! I still wonder how it could have happened

Anyway, Act 5 is now PL ok.

For Act 3 I found another small inconsistency, which slipped through my net the first time, probably because I was so confused by the merged voices :oops:

> from 0:50-1:00: “Ay, if we had an act first.... etc”: This sentence is a bit different, but I think the error is not changing the meaning so much, so it's up to you if you want to change it. But: all this needs to come AFTER the speech from 1:01-1:31: “Boy boy, we live by finding fools”. Could you paste it to the correct spot please, so as to make our editor's job easier later on ? It's much less of a hassle if the parts are all in the correct order.
Unfortunately, I have no way right now of checking levels for myself, as I cannot download the ever-so-helpful level checker on the computer I usually work on, but for now, at least, I deamplified the noise, so it should be within the acceptable range.
You must have deamplified with a lot more than -3 because now it is really at the bottom border, only slightly over 86 dB. But never mind that, our editor will adjust volumes anyway in the end to make us all sound harmonical. No need to fiddle with the volume for now.

Maybe you can try to download the ReplayGain plugin for Audacity (if you are using this program):
Replay Gain plugin for Audacity: - http://forum.audacityteam.org/download/file.php?id=4668

1. Save the file to your computer - your desktop or somewhere where you can easily find it.
2. Now browse to the folder in which Audacity is installed. It's probably in C:\Program Files\Audacity) and then open the Plug-Ins folder.
3. Drag the file you saved into the Plug-Ins folder.
4. When next you start up Audacity, you will be able to select the whole recording (Ctrl+A on Windows), then go to Analyze | ReplayGain, and it'll tell you how much to amplify your file to get to about 89 dB.
it's quite helpful, because it calculates by how much you need to amplify to get to the desired average of 89 db :) I use it all the time and never have a problem with volume.

Sonia

tolgangcrt
Posts: 10
Joined: January 21st, 2018, 6:59 am

Post by tolgangcrt » February 19th, 2018, 10:10 am

Kitty wrote:
February 19th, 2018, 1:14 am
> from 0:50-1:00: “Ay, if we had an act first.... etc”: This sentence is a bit different, but I think the error is not changing the meaning so much, so it's up to you if you want to change it. But: all this needs to come AFTER the speech from 1:01-1:31: “Boy boy, we live by finding fools”. Could you paste it to the correct spot please, so as to make our editor's job easier later on ? It's much less of a hassle if the parts are all in the correct order.
Thank you, As for the reason for the earlier dizzying, as far as I know, I must have performed a quick export instead of "export selected." I had the track muted, but it still carried over. Its a learning experience I suppose :lol: . This should be the last upload of it as I changed the order of the quote.
thank you again for all your help and patience!
Caleb

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilisanass_gilthead_3.mp3

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 12662
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » February 19th, 2018, 10:41 am

tolgangcrt wrote:As for the reason for the earlier dizzying, as far as I know, I must have performed a quick export instead of "export selected." I had the track muted, but it still carried over.
wait now I have a suspicion...did you have the two acts open in the SAME audacity window, the one above the other ? :hmm: Because that would be a reason why it would merge the two dialogues into one.

If that was the case, it would really be recommendable to open a NEW audacity window for each new act. That way there will be no confusion.

Did you manage to download and install Replay Gain ?
This should be the last upload of it as I changed the order of the quote.
it is !!! This passes muster and is perfectly PL ok now. Thank you so much for being part of the group here, Caleb :9: Your voice and performance is a really interesting addition to the play.

Sonia

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 12662
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » February 19th, 2018, 10:44 am

All the roles are in and we are only waiting for the Narrator. I think we never had that scenario before :shock:

Sonia

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 7186
Joined: August 14th, 2011, 4:24 am
Contact:

Post by ToddHW » February 19th, 2018, 6:07 pm

Kitty wrote:
February 19th, 2018, 10:44 am
All the roles are in and we are only waiting for the Narrator. I think we never had that scenario before :shock:

Sonia
Since our narrator has not even logged into Librivox in a month, I have orphaned the role.

Thanks, Todd

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 7186
Joined: August 14th, 2011, 4:24 am
Contact:

Post by ToddHW » February 21st, 2018, 7:17 pm

I have assembled Act 1 as best as I can without stage directions. Not ready for PL. Ye all sound great!

Thanks, Todd

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 7186
Joined: August 14th, 2011, 4:24 am
Contact:

Post by ToddHW » February 24th, 2018, 12:25 pm

Missing an Everill line in act 3, page 304: "We then advise the party ...we call this, sir, publication"

Sending PM. Separate file for this fine.

Thanks, Todd

Algy Pug
Posts: 5753
Joined: December 26th, 2009, 10:07 pm
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Post by Algy Pug » February 24th, 2018, 1:04 pm

ToddHW wrote:
February 24th, 2018, 12:25 pm
Missing an Everill line in act 3, page 304: "We then advise the party ...we call this, sir, publication"

Sending PM. Separate file for this fine.

Thanks, Todd
Line uploaded:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilisanass_everill_3_extra_line_128kb.mp3

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

_________________________
Let me recapitulate backwards to what happened previously.
- Rex Mossop

Post Reply